Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] AA, RAC or Green Flag? AA wankers today...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Mrs T got a puncture today, and she isn't au fait with the wheel change dance. We are with AA. She was asked to press something on her phone to show location (their software). Bloke calls her phone 'where are you? I am at (our home address)'. Doh! 'OK, I''l be a few minutes' (Mrs T was 15 minutes from our house). Two hours later.....after various calls that were not answered.....

'Are you Dr malename?'....''Er no, I'm Mrs X'.'

'Is Dr X there?'

'No he's at the f***ing football (she didn't say 'f***ing'., but anyway....) but my car is on his account. You have come to my call outs at least 3 times and have never asked if the old bastard is with me'.

'Oh we changed our policy, he has to be with you . . . .now'.

FFS.

I left the match early to get back home (OK, we were 3-0 down at the time, but...).

Luckily some pals bailed Mrs T out, and she was in the bath when I got home.

But they didn't ask if she had the nipper with her, and just left her, a lone female, broken down on an industrial estate, on New Year's Eve (could this be a clue - short staffed now we've thrown out all the foringers?) to her own devices.

So my question is this. Are the other two 'providers' any better? I'd be more than happy to tell the AA to shove their cover up their tiny frozen arse, come renewal time. As I did with their insurance brokering (anther story, best not resurrected, my blood pressure couldn't cope).

And Happy New Year, one and all!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sorry to hear that.

Which? rate these as the best breakdown service.

C0BAD7EE-4D16-4556-81A0-AA006FAE3642.png

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
This is in fact true I have a card and Mrs J has a card we pay or rather I pay 🙄 £135 a year for the two of us. Never tested it apparently we can be in any car and they have to attend.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I had to change my mother in laws AA subscription as her husband died in November and they had a joint account. Whilst on hold ( during that cold snap) their automated message basically stated unless it was an emergency priority away from home, they wouldn’t be dealing with the callout. He was paying in excess of £200 a year for two cars. they refunded £57 for the period only one car would be covered, but it meant my mother in law had to renew with them from scratch. Now that won’t be happening!

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Left the AA when at the time i had full cover including europe and i broke down at home and needed to get to work. They changed their policy on homestart in that they didnt need to help you complete the journey with a courtesy car. I ended up hiring a car and when getting to work found out a co workers 18 year old son was driving a courtesy car around on their policy because his shit heap didnt start that morning. That was it never ever again. I have not had any problems with Green Flag and often when busy you will get the same recovery people anyway providing they want to turn up. Edit they do actually say they prioritise women on their own as well.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My RAC cover is part of a Barclays bank account add-on which also includes travel insurance and airport lounges etc.

Seems to include a plus one with no strings attached:

Personal-based cover​

You plus another member of your household will be covered as a driver or passenger in any vehicle.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
My RAC cover is part of a Barclays bank account add-on which also includes travel insurance and airport lounges etc.

Personal-based cover​

You plus another member of your household will be covered as a driver or passenger in any vehicle.

Out of interest is that any particular Barclays account as I still need to sort out new cover for my mother in law and she banks with them?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Out of interest is that any particular Barclays account as I still need to sort out new cover for my mother in law and she banks with them?
Bog standard current account.

It’s the one I opened when I went to university over 30 years ago. It’s not my main account, but I always kept it open as a reserve.

Seemed a bargain for £18/month…

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Personal-based cover​

We have that now, but about ten years ago I broke down, on my own, coming out of Eastbourne. I had to wait over an hour on my own near the golf club.
We had a very intermittent fault with the O2 sensor. When the AA man arrived, I suggested it might be that, but he sneered at me saying I had run out of petrol.
I knew I hadn’t but he wouldn’t listen. He delivered to car to our local garage. Two days later our garage told me they had replaced the sensor.

I emailed the AA, reported the breakdown man to them, and moved to the bank travel pack, which also gives European breakdown cover.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Sorry to hear that, it’s always a worry when you need an emergency call out. I’ve used Britannia Rescue ( part of LV) for years and I’ve always been very pleased with their service. We have a few cars covered with them ( me, wife and kids) mainly older cars, so we’ve called on them several times and they’ve never let us down.
To make matters worse, the match improved after you left!

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
I'm with RAC and pay £125 per year (got a really good deal with them when I threatened to leave a few years ago) for me and the Mrs. Cover is for us as people so even if I'm in a friend's car they will come out to the vehicle I'm travelling in. Have had to call them out a few times due to a particular Peugeot (that I never wanted in the bloody first place) and they were excellent every time.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
The RAC are useless on my manor. Our daughter, on her own, had to get us to call them out about 10ish one cold Sunday night. To cut a long story short, after we had taken turns to wait with her with a revised 6am arrival time, the Mrs went apeshit at them to get someone out.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Mrs T got a puncture today, and she isn't au fait with the wheel change dance. We are with AA. She was asked to press something on her phone to show location (their software). Bloke calls her phone 'where are you? I am at (our home address)'. Doh! 'OK, I''l be a few minutes' (Mrs T was 15 minutes from our house). Two hours later.....after various calls that were not answered.....

'Are you Dr malename?'....''Er no, I'm Mrs X'.'

'Is Dr X there?'

'No he's at the f***ing football (she didn't say 'f***ing'., but anyway....) but my car is on his account. You have come to my call outs at least 3 times and have never asked if the old bastard is with me'.

FFS.

I left the match early to get back home (OK, we were 3-0 down at the time, but...).

Luckily some pals bailed Mrs T out, and she was in the bath when I got home.

But they didn't ask if she had the nipper with her, and just left her, a lone female, broken down on an industrial estate, on New Year's Eve (could this be a clue - short staffed now we've thrown out all the foringers?) to her own devices.

So my question is this. Are the other two 'providers' any better? I'd be more than happy to tell the AA to shove their cover up their tiny frozen arse, come renewal time. As I did with their insurance brokering (anther story, best not resurrected, my blood pressure couldn't cope).

And Happy New Year, one and all!
Worth buying a can of Tyre Weld and keeping it in the car. If you get a flat the can just screws on to the valve and inflates the tyre and injects liquid rubber that theoretically seals the hole and let's you drive a fair distance. Unless the hole is really large it works a treat and will get you home or to a garage.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Worth buying a can of Tyre Weld and keeping it in the car. If you get a flat the can just screws on to the valve and inflates the tyre and injects liquid rubber that theoretically seals the hole and let's you drive a fair distance. Unless the hole is really large it works a treat and will get you home or to a garage.
Tread with caution using these
Used these on a wheelbarrow flat
Then a car puncture
Useless on both occasions in my experience
Glad it worked out well for you Veg 😎

FIVESTEPS

Nov 3, 2014
Had a flat tyre on Christmas day 11am i was half a mile from home tried to change the tyre myself but couldn't even standing on the tyre lever two of the bolts wouldn't budge.My breakdown cover is with the RAC but through my insurance company Aviva ,i was first told it would be 90 mins then 2.30 next 3.00 finally they engaged Westbourne Motors who turned up at 4.30(they were excellent) I was driving to London so you can imagine my anxiety levels by the time i got away.Appreciated it was Christmas Day but would also have appreciated being told the the true time time they would turn up could have gone home and waited.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Green Flag with my NatWest bank account. Joint account covers us both. They are excellent.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
'Is Dr X there?'

Sorry but this bit doesn't make sense. Did you actually have joint cover? If you did you would have cover for you and someone you live with, as drivers or passengers in any vehicle. And would you not have been notified of any policy change?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Always been fine with Green Flag - though in recent years breakdown cover has usually been through the insurance - but even then it has usually been Green Flag (except for one year, when it was with someone else - not good; lift home? f*** off - we'll dump you at the nearest garage or one owned by our mates, and you can spend six hours wandering round thhe suburbs of Birmingham while they fix it - and charge you what they want), who I have always found to be excellent.
With them, there's always been a choice - the cover can either be for the car - whoever is driving it (with permission of course) or for me, personally, whoever's car I'm driving.
Worth considering and opting for which one you want.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here