Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A23 to open all 3 lanes on Tuesday morning

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
It's scary that some people think that the highway code guidelines are set in stone laws.

I come up the a23 every evening in my 7.5 tonner and just as we hit the first speed camera i am doing 40mph btw,the cars in the outside lanes are doing 50/60mph they hit the cameras and drop to 30mph...

now if they are behind me then i maintain 40mph,if however they are along side i tend as a professional like you are,tend to drop to 30mph too,to avoid undertaking....do you do the same?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
A van driver I used to know would regularly, obviously on uncongested motorways, 'donut' middle lane hoggers...

That is pass them on the nearside, cut across the front of them to get to the outside lane, brake in that lane so the hogger again gets in front, then again change from the outside lane to the inside one around the back of the culprit, and again pass them on the nearside, and welly it off into the distance :ohmy:

A not for the faint hearted manoeuvre :nono:

I drove like an idiot when i was a van driver,now i have moved up a level i drive far more with sense and understanding,besides too many speed traces and harsh braking on my tacho records would get me into trouble..

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
The northbound being open caught me by suprise this morning.

The southbound carrageway closed last night just as my rail replacement bus got to the junction just outside of Crawley :angry: and we did the full diversion via Horsham.

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
Drove at 40 northbound this morning on my usual commute, cursing people passing me at speed then realised works had finished, Doh! Much better now, should save me 10 mins off my journey time to LGW.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
What would help enormously (and therefore has no chance) is if lorries were restricted to using the left-most lane up the hill, avoiding the scenario where lane 1 has a stream of them doing 45 mph, lane 2 has some doing 46 mph and lane 3 has an old woman in a fiesta doing 47 mph.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Please can you say where you heard this

It's absolutely true. The northbound was fully opened this morning (I mean Sunday), and the southbound is due on Tuesday: all they have left to do on the southbound is completing the rumble strips and painting the white lines on one section of it.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What would help enormously (and therefore has no chance) is if lorries were restricted to using the left-most lane up the hill, avoiding the scenario where lane 1 has a stream of them doing 45 mph, lane 2 has some doing 46 mph and lane 3 has an old woman in a fiesta doing 47 mph.

Heavies will be restricted to 1 & 2. No word on the Honda Jazz club though :thumbsup:

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
I'm very excited about this. It has been going on for so long now. It will be nice to not have to set my cruise control to 40mph.
I still am shocked at all the people who fly through at around 50mph.
Thanks for the update everyone.

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
According to Twitter - one northbound lane closed at Handcross due to an accident...

It looked pretty nasty when I got past. Couple of crushed cars, 2 fire engines and what looked like somebody being treated on a stretcher.

I got from Shoreham to Crawley in half an hour yesterday - today it took 70 mins

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
According to Twitter - one northbound lane closed at Handcross due to an accident...

It looked pretty nasty when I got past. Couple of crushed cars, 2 fire engines and what looked like somebody being treated on a stretcher.

I got from Shoreham to Crawley in half an hour yesterday - today it took 70 mins

My sympathy for those concerned but the irony of the lane closure made me laugh first.
Bad person

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Sadly I expect that we'll continue to see accidents on that stretch. There are still junctions to complicate the traffic flow a little and there may well be a sense among some drivers that a previously dangerous road is now "safe" for them to drive on at 80mph, tailgating a BMW while checking texts. You can engineer highways that solve a lot of problems but you'll never find a way of eliminating human idiocy.

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
The UK does have one of lowest road deaths rates in the world. It would probably be lower if the driving lessons covered practical motorway driving.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1151...ashes_into_central_reservation_on_A23/?ref=mr

A car smashed into the central reservation of the A23 during rush hour this morning (Tuesday). The vehicle hit the reservation on the A23 northbound between Hickstead and Bolney at about 7am.
West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service and Sussex Police are at the scene.
The fire service said one person was trapped in the car following the accident, which caused significant damage to the barrier.
One lane is closed and there is queuing traffic.

Midfield Minton

Dec 18, 2013
Was horrendous this morning in the rain,I went though at 4:40 and was bad at top of hill in new road works hard to see lanes with all the spray,still a patch on the newly opened stretch that water builds up badly and courses aquaplaning

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here