Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A worthwhile read on terrorism

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A little patronising but hey, I'll let you off. But are we in government? No. Can I see we need to do things differently though? yes. Does the government? Yes. Do I believe we must accept and can't do more? No (do you?). But it's up to the politicians to counter this new threat. Consider that when you cast your vote. It could be you and your loved ones next. Could be any of us.

That post, sorry, but it is complete dribble. You criticised the OP post. With what? You seriously think ISIS will win unless we do something (that you have failed to desrcribe)? What clever thing do you have in mind? You fail to identify with the British spirit. WE have already won, no matter how many of us they kill. Germs kill us. Viruses kill us. Do you have a final solution to germs and viruses, one that has escaped the finest thinkers and strategists? Sometimes I dispair.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
That post, sorry, but it is complete dribble. You criticised the OP post. With what? You seriously think ISIS will win unless we do something (that you have failed to desrcribe)? What clever thing do you have in mind? You fail to identify with the British spirit. WE have already won, no matter how many of us they kill. Germs kill us. Viruses kill us. Do you have a final solution to germs and viruses, one that has escaped the finest thinkers and strategists? Sometimes I dispair.
lay of the booze

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick

Dribble vs. drivel

One definition of drivel is senseless talk or content. Dribble’s main noun definition, outside sports, is a small, unsteady stream. The words almost converge where drivel, in a secondary sense,means to slobber or drool (drool being a sort of small, unsteady stream), and this perhaps has something to do with dribble sometimes being used in place of drivel in the senseless talk sense. The mixup is common, but the words are generally kept separate in edited writing.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Dribble vs. drivel

One definition of drivel is senseless talk or content. Dribble’s main noun definition, outside sports, is a small, unsteady stream. The words almost converge where drivel, in a secondary sense,means to slobber or drool (drool being a sort of small, unsteady stream), and this perhaps has something to do with dribble sometimes being used in place of drivel in the senseless talk sense. The mixup is common, but the words are generally kept separate in edited writing.

I was being allegorical. :thumbsup:

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton

Great article. What he says makes sense however when the terrorists believe that their after life will be much better for their acts i do wonder whether this view carries the same weight. Of course we all initially mourn and then get on with life and the more frequent these acts are the more normal it becomes and we start to take it in our stride. However will it stop... i hope they will get bored of it when they lose the impact if their actions.

deena_gold

Banned
Jun 5, 2017
Some solutions perhaps?

-extreme vetting
- statistical profiling and a change in the law to 'probable outcomes'
-electronic tagging
- increased surveillance
- detention centers and solitary confinement
- interrogation and waterboarding of prime suspects
- pacifying medication e.g. oestrogen pills to lower testosterone levels in the body
- remand centers and registers, nightly reporting and detainment between 9pm to midnight.

They can do a lot more with technology that they couldn't do even 20 years ago.

Here is an interesting article I found on statistical profiling, although it is applied to pests and diseases carried on imported foods e.t.c. parallels with terrorism can be drawn, and the approach seems relevant for adaptation. You can download the PDF by clicking to the right.

https://arxiv.org/abs/1702.04044

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here