Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A suugestion regarding the air crash ....

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
(not the time or place, musings removed).

Last edited:

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I think donating and splitting 3 ways would complicate things but agree with bozza that one of the latter 2 may be more appropriate

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Hello. I'm just catching up belatedly.

I'm completely happy to go with whatever will raise the most money - pay for silence, pay to read or pay to post etc.

One thing I'm not sure about is this from the opening post "Money goes to REMF who then in turn donate it to the local just giving fund for the victims"

To qualify that, I'm not doubting the fund - I believe the money is to going towards the support of football programmes for children in Worthing. However, I am aware of two other funds:

1. A fund for the families of Matt and Jacob. I know nothing of the circumstances of the two families but direct financial support may be beneficial for them, even for the unexpected expense of the funerals themselves: http://gofundme.com/bh2pr7dm

2. Shoreham Air Show fund to help all those affected by the disaster: https://www.justgiving.com/sussexgiving/

I don't know the answer in terms of where to donate but if I'm being honest, the latter two feel like they could be more appropriate than the REMF collection which is, of course, wonderful.

Given we're a footie forum I'd suggest option 1, I only suggested REMF as a holding point - a bit like Brighton Lions hold funds that they then give to other charities - but I fairly easy about it. I still think close down on a match day will have the biggest impact though.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Donating to who depends on what you prefer.

The REMF just giving for the Walk is donated to Worthing United FC, REMF is for global funding football related or Albion in the Community and the other two I think relate to families of the tragedy

In Big Brother style You Decide.......

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Given we're a footie forum I'd suggest option 1, I only suggested REMF as a holding point - a bit like Brighton Lions hold funds that they then give to other charities - but I fairly easy about it. I still think close down on a match day will have the biggest impact though.

I agree about a match day closure. Finding a day with the least impact to us users doesn't seem right.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What is the point in closing NSC and what does it achieve ? Better to post and remember and act normal and let people donate to whatever fund they wish to then be press ganged into things

Have to agree. NSC on matchdays does provide distant fans who can't get to the Amex an opportunity to be involved. Seems that if you feel the need to sacrifice something then surely that is for individuals to chose, for example if you feel you need to be silent then don't go to the Hull game, go and spend time with your own thoughts. I understand the sentiments behind the idea but my own personal view is that people should be allowed to grieve/reflect in their own way rather than, as Ernest bluntly puts it, press ganged into things. The sponsored walk is an excellent idea to raise funds and I'm expecting the minutes silence at the Hull game to be very emotional.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Very much agree with this post above.

Nsc is worldwide at all times, let alone match days.

Also, very importantly, imo, is the fact that an awful lot of people wouldn't be able to pay because of circumstances.

That for me, goes against what North Stand Chat is.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
My suggestion would be a day in which we hold auctions of football items with the proceeds going to a nominated fund. A match day is a good idea as there is a lot of traffic on here.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
I really don't think it should be on match day. Fans of the club that passed away would surely want us to be supporting the team whatever way we can when we travel to top of the table Ipswich. There must be another way of doing it?

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Didn't know either of the lads personally... but given the fact they were both talented footballers and both supported the Albion, surely it would be better to remain united and support the team, instead of closing the forum. Especially seeing as Brighton fans around the world use NSC to follow the match live. Just my 2 cents.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
I Would imagine quite a few of us have already donated!

just to add.

I was very happy to do so (donate).

Last edited:

BeardyChops

Jan 24, 2009
Is it possible to fill the first page of the big board with a single tribute/donation thread - and all other threads start on page two? A match day would have greatest impact and exposure.

Last edited:

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I just can not see how this would work in reality. So you close the thread for the day and then what? I have already donated, so for me I would just use other forms of media to keep updated on the football. I would suspect a lot of other people would do the same. When you are at a football match and 26,000 people are standing silently and no doubt at the next home match there will be a bucket collection for people to donate is a much better show of togetherness. I for one think the club are leading the way on this and are doing a great job

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Not in support of a closure, especially on a match day. Have donated to support the familes and to the REMF walk and wish peace and solace to the bereaved. Perhaps just pause Nsc when the minutes silence is held at the Amex?

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
I’m sorry to say that I consider this an over-reaction. As pointed out, there are already two funds and not only does a further fund muddy the (collection) waters it seems to me that sorrow and sympathy are essentially private matters and not really the remit of an internet forum, however heart wrenching the cause.

In our pub I’m sometimes asked to organise collections for customers who’ve passed away. I take the view that we will eventually end up organising collections for people we hardly knew, causes we don’t know about and charities we don’t support. Inevitably there are people who won’t donate for whatever reason, and this then leads onto bad feeling. Surely the same thing applies here? Maybe individual donations to one of the funds mentioned would be a better response…

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
How would this work though? Would Bozza just replace the site with a message, is my guess. But I'm not sure that is quite right, as it would feel no different to days when we've had essential maintenance, or the site has been moved to a new host, and the site has been down. That has happened before, and as such, we are all just doing something else. A bit like replacing a minutes silence with just locking the doors to the ground and not letting anyone in.

How about we have the site open, but we should all agree to post to just one single thread for that 24 hrs, and all we can post on that thread is a pledge. So, for 24 hrs, the website is open, but for those who want to be part of this, they just go to the "Sponsored Silence thread : 5th September 2015" and just post the amount they pledge. No comments, no discussion, just a respectful silence.

Or if we feel it's a bit crass to see what people have donated, then send your pledge to someone by PM (it can come to me if you want Bozza), and simply post "Pledge sent" on the thread to show that you've been on the site, marked shown your respect by not diving into thread discussions, and left silently.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Have to say, I'm in the "what would this really achieve ?" camp on this. If people wish to abstain from NSC for a day through their own choice, then there's absolutely nothing stopping anyone from doing this. We must all continue to go about our daily lives, and can choose to pay our respects in our own way and with our own personal quiet reflection. NSC doesn't impinge on that at all, in fact quite the opposite, many of the postings on this tragedy have been very cathartic. Imposing an all-day NSC shutdown is not needed IMO.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Prefer the keep calm and carry on approach. Also, agree with leaving grieving as a private and individual thing. Minutes silence at the game when people are congregated is appropriate. Minutes block put on NSC at same time maybe? Also, other victims haven't been identified yet and what if they are also Albion fans? I'm preferring to wait until all are named before I decide where to make a donation. Edit - Albion fans are no more or less important than other victims (and I'm not suggesting people are saying so) but I wouldn't like some victim families getting less support than others.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Hello. I'm just catching up belatedly.

1. A fund for the families of Matt and Jacob. I know nothing of the circumstances of the two families but direct financial support may be beneficial for them, even for the unexpected expense of the funerals themselves: http://gofundme.com/bh2pr7dm

2. Shoreham Air Show fund to help all those affected by the disaster: https://www.justgiving.com/sussexgiving/

I don't know the answer in terms of where to donate but if I'm being honest, the latter two feel like they could be more appropriate than the REMF collection which is, of course, wonderful.

I was thinking that it would be a good idea to make those other fund raising links sticky.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here