Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A Sobering article for NSC Bikers and Motorists

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Well, let's just be glad it was only the idiot biker that got killed and no innocents.

Sleaford Seagull

Nov 17, 2010
Sleaford
100mph and 60 mph really are two different worlds. He was going way too fast for the situation and at 60mph I think he wouldn't have died in this instance.

Agreed they are different, however his speed affects the outcome of how hard the collision and landing were. What I am saying is that even at 60mph he would have more than likely still hit the car, that part is the drivers fault for pulling across the lane without taking enough care.

60mph could be classed as too quick for approaching a junction like that, without driving it, it would be hard to judge.

Sleaford Seagull

Nov 17, 2010
Sleaford
Well, let's just be glad it was only the idiot biker that got killed and no innocents.

Wow...very harsh. Everyone makes mistakes, this guy died for his.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
60mph could be classed as too quick for approaching a junction like that, without driving it, it would be hard to judge.

60mph is clearly too fast for that bit of road when you have cars frequently turning right in front of you. Hence the slow sign. The driver would have stood a much better chance of seeing the bike if he was going at half the speed, let alone the difference in impact of the two speeds. It is very sad but I do have some sympathy for the driver too.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
The message I got from the video was that drivers need to look out for riders when on the road AND bikers need to slow down and ride more safely.

A very 'hard-hitting' film, in all senses of the word and if it achieves its aims then all the better.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Brave family for allowing the footage to be used to graphically illustrate the lessons - for all types of road user. Unfortunately it does need shock tactics to impress safety messages on road users. It is too easy for the media to demonise bikers but I would most definitely include many car drivers as needing more road awareness. It won't bring this rider back but might just save a few in future.

That stretch of the A47 is just a few miles from here and already has a horrible safety record, not dissimilar to say, the A27 in E. Sussex with the road quality varying from dual carriageway to almost 'B' road standard with several awkward junctions. Yet most traffic tries to maintain around 60mph while driving standards are not that great, despite the notorious reputation. Plus this incident occurred in otherwise favourable road conditions ie dry with clear visibility and decent-ish road markings.

Clearly the car driver is at fault for turning across the bike, compounded by the reckless speed of the biker approaching that junction. There were various other scary aspects of that footage eg the biker was very trusting that, for example, the Silver car on his nearside did not attempt a right turn across his path as he overtook. It presumed that the other road users all had good awareness (including in their rear view mirrors of a fast approaching bike) and would act accordingly. Better to assume the opposite ie all other road users are muppets. Boring I know - but at least you live to ride another day.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Getting self righteous about football hooligans is one thing but this bloke has ended up in a box for christ sake.

Have a day off from being a **** would you!

I am perfectly entitled to my opinion and stand firmly by my post. Thank you so much.

Sleaford Seagull

Nov 17, 2010
Sleaford
Yeah, and he could have easily killed others if that's how he rides. 97 mph. The road is a safer place without him.

97mph was way too quick for that part of road, I agree with that. But it was complacency that caused the accident. He didn't slow anywhere near enough for the junction, the car driver was also clearly complacent when crossing a busy carriageway, does the driver of the car deserve to die too? No of course not. The poor biker made a silly mistake, after 20 years riding he clearly wasn't a terrible rider, if he always rode like that then he would have been hit many years before more than likely. As I said before he made a mistake and paid for it with his life. Nobody is perfect when it comes to motoring and nobody deserves to not make it home.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
If you notice on the video it says that the car driver never saw the bike or the car behind him, so there is looking and looking but not seeing, the mind of the car driver must have been distracted by something.

I have travelled this stretch of road many times when I spent most of my time in or going too and from Norfolk, the flat lines of the area make things deceptive.

The cyclist was going at 100mph, not unusual for this area I think from what I have seen, the car driver did not see on a clear day both have faults although I think the major fault is with the car driver, even if the cyclist had been doing 50mph, I think the accident would have happened.

Will it make people in the target audience think? I doubt it, it will never happen to them, will it!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
97mph was way too quick for that part of road, I agree with that. But it was complacency that caused the accident. He didn't slow anywhere near enough for the junction, the car driver was also clearly complacent when crossing a busy carriageway, does the driver of the car deserve to die too? No of course not. The poor biker made a silly mistake, after 20 years riding he clearly wasn't a terrible rider, if he always rode like that then he would have been hit many years before more than likely. As I said before he made a mistake and paid for it with his life. Nobody is perfect when it comes to motoring and nobody deserves to not make it home.

Some good points. I hope the video has the desired effect.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
The man was riding a motorbike, one handed at 97mph, approaching a junction, over markings in the road that said SLOW...He rode to fast, and he died because of it.....thankfully, nobody else was hurt.....I sometimes think people on NSC just want to argue about something....anything.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If you notice on the video it says that the car driver never saw the bike or the car behind him, so there is looking and looking but not seeing, the mind of the car driver must have been distracted by something.

I have travelled this stretch of road many times when I spent most of my time in or going too and from Norfolk, the flat lines of the area make things deceptive.

The cyclist was going at 100mph, not unusual for this area I think from what I have seen, the car driver did not see on a clear day both have faults although I think the major fault is with the car driver, even if the cyclist had been doing 50mph, I think the accident would have happened.

Will it make people in the target audience think? I doubt it, it will never happen to them, will it!

The car though was braking as it approached the junction and was well back. I suspect that when the guy turning right did look, the car and the motorcyclist were sufficient distance away that he didn't register them, hence they said they saw neither.

At 100 miles per hour, that motorbike was covering 45 meters per second. In say 2 or 3 seconds of looking up the road, not seeing anything, then looking forward engaging your gear and moving off, the motorcycle has travelled nearly 150 meters. In visual terms that is a massive distance.

At 50 mph it's down to only 23 meters per second, he'd in effect have been 75 meters back at the same point of of the 97mph impact, and travelling slower to have done something to avoid the collision, or could have likely slowed to the extent that the collision wasn't fatal.

EDIT: the stopping distance for a motorcycle at 50mph is approx. 53 meters (thinking + braking distance). At 70 mph its 96 meters. So you could say based on the physics at least, that at the speed limit he'd have likely avoided the collision. At 70 mph, he may have swerved or at least had a chance to brake sufficiently.

At 97mph on a single carriage, he could have killed anyone. Unfortunately it was himself, but one of the most surprising things for me is that I was expecting a dual carriageway and couldn't believe he was doing that on a single road with junctions, bends and other traffic.

Life is so precious, save the speed for the track days people.

Last edited:

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
At 97mph on a single carriage, he could have killed anyone. Unfortunately it was himself, but one of the most surprising things for me is that I was expecting a dual carriageway and couldn't believe he was doing that on a single road with junctions, bends and other traffic.

Exactly the same with me.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I always thought the slogan "Think bike" was stupid it, should have been for the bikers and said "Think car" or "Think bend" or maybe just "Think".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here