Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] A racist remark

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Just been watching the headlines on SSN and it's so depressing that one of the lead stories is an alleged racist remark at the Torquay v Exeter game yesterday.

https://www.devonlive.com/sport/football/football-news/investigation-after-alleged-racist-remark-7372958

:nono:

It’s not nice but there are always a few idiots that never learn . Personally I’m far more upset that the war in Ukraine doesn’t appear to be headline news when dozens of people a day are still being killed by Russian bombs .

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So how many toes did they have?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Just been watching the headlines on SSN and it's so depressing that one of the lead stories is an alleged racist remark at the Torquay v Exeter game yesterday.

https://www.devonlive.com/sport/football/football-news/investigation-after-alleged-racist-remark-7372958

:nono:

I do not have the foggiest what the remark actually was, but what if it was ‘Shut up Paddy!’. Would that be enough to be so depressing, would it be an idiot who had said it, would it even be racist?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I'm an old man and maybe still have a little racist brain cell tucked away somewhere that shouts loudly when it shouldn't. But in the past few years I've employed black staff members and put them up in front of customers and been surprised at some comments.
Right now I have an Indian lad, one of my hardest working staff members, but was horrified at comments made to him by a group of white lads just walking past him. Same last year to a black girl who also had racist comments said to her. I employ them not because I feel I have to just to tick boxes but because they are very good at their job. If a customer walks out refusing to be served by a black or Indian person it's their loss because they've missed meeting a wonderful person.

el punal

I'm an old man and maybe still have a little racist brain cell tucked away somewhere that shouts loudly when it shouldn't. But in the past few years I've employed black staff members and put them up in front of customers and been surprised at some comments.
Right now I have an Indian lad, one of my hardest working staff members, but was horrified at comments made to him by a group of white lads just walking past him. Same last year to a black girl who also had racist comments said to her. I employ them not because I feel I have to just to tick boxes but because they are very good at their job. If a customer walks out refusing to be served by a black or Indian person it's their loss because they've missed meeting a wonderful person.

This reminds of someone who I worked with. He was a bit of a tosser who liked to wind people up but often overstepped the mark with blatant racism. I gently reminded him that if his child was involved in - let’s say a traffic accident - and that a black or Asian doctor was on hand to save the child’s life would he then be so objectionable? A lot of huffing and puffing from him as he tried to back track. I just called him a f***ing hypocrite and walked off.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Watching the cricket recently and saw a piece about the Great Shane Warne talking about beating the `Poms` is that racist ? . And i am an Irishman and don`t consider `Paddy` as racist , and i would be surprised if `Taffy` or `Jock` was considered racist by the Welsh and Scottish . We are getting oh so precious these days .

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Watching the cricket recently and saw a piece about the Great Shane Warne talking about beating the `Poms` is that racist ? . And i am an Irishman and don`t consider `Paddy` as racist , and i would be surprised if `Taffy` or `Jock` was considered racist by the Welsh and Scottish . We are getting oh so precious these days .

What about 'No Paddys need apply' for jobs or housing or even B&B ...is that racist? Its about power and control as much as a name.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
It’s not nice but there are always a few idiots that never learn . Personally I’m far more upset that the war in Ukraine doesn’t appear to be headline news when dozens of people a day are still being killed by Russian bombs .

Personally I’m far more upset that the pandemic doesn’t appear to be headline news when hundreds of people a week are still being killed by Covid-19 in this country.

Edit: I'm also upset that the war in Ukraine doesn’t appear to be headline news as well.

Last edited:

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
What about 'No Paddys need apply' for jobs or housing or even B&B ...is that racist? Its about power and control as much as a name.

It was normally `No Irish` that was written in windows of `B&Bs` and that is most definitely racist .I`m not sure about being about power and control,i`m sure you`re right to some extent it probably is,but i think it is more insidious than that.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Couldn't agree more.
The world is a sadder place compared to 30 years ago.
The likes of Frank Carson and Bernard Manning and Charlie Williams would be comedians who would never have made the grade on mainstream TV sadly.

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here