Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A (possible) theory on why Sami is still here...

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
No, it doesn't and I'm not saying that Sami's tactics are good but perhaps Bloom has accepted that with better players Sami's tactics will work. It was only recently that Bloom said in an interview that he watched every game and the performance was ok even if the result wasn't so he is obviously still supporting Sami's ideas, rightly or wrongly.

Also, I believe it is in Gardner's loan agreement that he plays if fit and as for JFC; he does seem to cover a lot of ground and be active but perhaps not eye catching. He is a real marmite player, I personally would drop him but Oscar, Sami, Southgate all really rate him! In yesterday's argus even Keith Andrews praised his 'bottle' in getting on the ball and trying to make things happen.

He had better players in Germany, it didn't work there. Personally I think him giving him more money to spend is madness.

Cloughie

Jun 7, 2009
Depends under what terms he was offering to 'resign'.

Exactly.

I don't buy that a man who clearly loves the club would watch it stuggle just to save himself some money. He's made it pretty obvious that he isn't cutting corners with the additional changes he made to the training facility and academy. I just don't see TB being that pig headed to not do what's best for the club. If sticking with SH is what he really thinks is best (and is being advised so) then that's okay with me.

It's patently obvious that something internally is just not right. I'm as frustrated as anyone that these travails seemingly have transferred themselves onto the pitch but I trust TB will put them right (sooner rather than later too). I just find the lack of transparency at moments like these infuriating.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Well yeah, because we were able to turn it down. And actually, as much as I want Sami gone I would have turned a full payoff option down too. Paying people a large amount of money for being utterly rubbish at their job is one of my major bugbears.

Why pay him off in full . Stick him on garden leave and pay him monthly . He either collects the cash for the remainder of the contract or pride kicks in and he accepts another job at which point you stop paying . Its being done more and more , rather than paying off in full only to walk into another job .Down side is he collects until the end or he walks early saving some dosh .

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I don't buy that a man who clearly loves the club would watch it stuggle just to save himself some money. He's made it pretty obvious that he isn't cutting corners with the additional changes he made to the training facility and academy. I just don't see TB being that pig headed to not do what's best for the club. If sticking with SH is what he really thinks is best (and is being advised so) then that's okay with me.

It's patently obvious that something internally is just not right. I'm as frustrated as anyone that these travails seemingly have transferred themselves onto the pitch but I trust TB will put them right (sooner rather than later too). I just find the lack of transparency at moments like these infuriating.

Good post. How anyone can have a beef with Tony Bloom is beyond me given that he is pouring his own money into the club. I think the OP has probably hit the nail on the head with regards to the delay in getting shot of Sami.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Sadly, I think the more plausible theory is simply one of financial considerations, and stubborness.

The club would love Sami to give up and resign, so they can 'reluctantly accept' and move on at little or no cost. So they are playing a (dangerous) waiting game.

I don't get this financial concern. When you sack a manager you don't pay his contract up in full in 1 go.
Di Matteo got his £150k a month from Chelsea over the last 2 years as a monthly salary as normal.
As soon as his contract was up he took another job.
With Sami we could pay him monthly as normal.
Let's face it we will paying O'Grady a salary over the next 3 years without him ever appearing for us (in view of his salary).

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It doesn't matter whether we are average or not at tackling, the KEY thing is who is doing it.

The previous managers based their tactics on solid defending. The stats support this, we had protection from the midfield.

Even though Hyppia has stumbled across this, he hasn't built on it.

As for shots. I don't care that we've had loads of them, they haven't gone in the goal. Last year (and previously) our goal to shot ratio was much much better.

I agree.

The change seems to be forgoing the defensive bit in midfield (fans wanted attacking football) to produce more shots at goal. Alas, more shots at goal but the goal rate is about the same, but alas, the defence has got worse.

Can't shoot and the defence has got worse.

Possession football: this is essentially a defensive tactic (and quite a good one: if the opposition have not got the ball they cannot score). The idea that the team with most possession controls the game is not so clear.

Generally, it is a good idea to have the ball as much as possible. But if a defensive midfielder dithers on the ball and loses it we are in trouble. More than once or twice in a match and it is likely to have horrid consequences. It has happened a few times this season, notable JFC against Millwall.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Why pay him off in full . Stick him on garden leave and pay him monthly . He either collects the cash for the remainder of the contract or pride kicks in and he accepts another job at which point you stop paying . Its being done more and more , rather than paying off in full only to walk into another job .Down side is he collects until the end or he walks early saving some dosh .

Where is this being done more and more in the FFP conscious Championship? Big gamble paying the salary of two managers when one of them is highly unlikely to get a job as lucrative as his current one, if at all. TB would never sanction it.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Sheesh! Has it come to this now? The OP listening to anything Naylor spouts about a transfer window.

I recall the window (although not which one) when Naylor said there was more business to be done and to expect 2/3 more players in before the deadline. What happened? SFA. A man with his finger on the pulse - or a total bs'er trying to justify his existence? You be the judge.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Talking to a mate of mine last night who came up with what could be 'the plan'.

We all know that recruitment has been poor and that whilst we have played ok in some games we have generally been let down by lack of finishing or defensive mistakes. Perhaps the board have agreed with Sami (privately) that players such as COG, Toko, Kemy are not a good fit and that they actually highlight who he wants in January.

Let's say the players that went out on loan are not in our plans and that we have already agreed deals in private to sign 3, 4 or even 5 players that are best suited to Sami's system and what he wants. If this is true then sacking Sami now would be pointless as the new manager may not want those players and we are back to square one with a new manager that has players that he won't play. (Such as Toko who was wanted by Oscar)

Naylor seems to think we will be very busy from the off in January , what if we have already done a lot of the business ahead of time for a change?

As I say, it is only one viewpoint but do you think it could actually be what is happening?

I personally cannot see any reason other than something like this being the case as Sami is still here!!

Seems as if your friend is not alone in his thinking

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/11670277.Talking_Point__Hyypia_hampered_by_Albion_squad_decline/

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Someone told me today that they are all in Spain for a xmas do including Sami - If thats true thats why he is still here (or there)!

If he was going would you let him go to the shindig?

They came back earlier in the week. Regarding the OP's point... The big news on the Sami front in the next few days might be feeling that he has been/is being badly served by some players and others elsewhere in the club and is ready to crack the whip, and is now, finally, getting very belated support from above. With one or two non players leaving and one or two arriving it could be what he would regard as a new beginning. (Regarding the non-playing arrivals there is one suggestion that is so implausible it might even be true.)

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Talking to a mate of mine last night who came up with what could be 'the plan'.

We all know that recruitment has been poor and that whilst we have played ok in some games we have generally been let down by lack of finishing or defensive mistakes. Perhaps the board have agreed with Sami (privately) that players such as COG, Toko, Kemy are not a good fit and that they actually highlight who he wants in January.

Let's say the players that went out on loan are not in our plans and that we have already agreed deals in private to sign 3, 4 or even 5 players that are best suited to Sami's system and what he wants. If this is true then sacking Sami now would be pointless as the new manager may not want those players and we are back to square one with a new manager that has players that he won't play. (Such as Toko who was wanted by Oscar)

Naylor seems to think we will be very busy from the off in January , what if we have already done a lot of the business ahead of time for a change?

As I say, it is only one viewpoint but do you think it could actually be what is happening?

I personally cannot see any reason other than something like this being the case as Sami is still here!!

I can see the logic in this and can only hope it is true

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I suspect there is a very good reason why TB hasn't moved on this yet and I also suspect that he will if and when the time is right

It will happen before crimbo I'm sure

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It doesn't matter whether we are average or not at tackling, the KEY thing is who is doing it.

The previous managers based their tactics on solid defending. The stats support this, we had protection from the midfield.

Even though Hyppia has stumbled across this, he hasn't built on it.

As for shots. I don't care that we've had loads of them, they haven't gone in the goal. Last year (and previously) our goal to shot ratio was much much better.

I agree. Playing a high line makes us more vulnerable to individual mistakes.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Sadly, I think the more plausible theory is simply one of financial considerations, and stubborness.

The club would love Sami to give up and resign, so they can 'reluctantly accept' and move on at little or no cost. So they are playing a (dangerous) waiting game.

This.

TB doesn't like the idea of paying up a contract, and is waiting for him to resign. Sadly, that leaves us sitting on our hands, and ultimately will cost us much more if Sami takes us down. What if he then announces he is looking forward to restructuring the squad and bouncing back at the first time of asking.

The waiting game is so dangerous.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I just dont think there is a plan in place and the board just hope that Stevens gets fit soon to sure up the midfield and Baldock actually starts to show that he can score.

One question I would love to know....Toko, looked very good in his videos, looked the sort to put in a tackle and mess up play. WHY has he never had a chance, why have we just continued to stick with 2 in the middle who are so far out of there depth that it is embarrassing. We have we not gone with an Ince and a Toko just to try something different. Kemy looked very good against Leeds, yet never played since...........just all strange to me.

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
I think Tony Bloom has told Sami that he wants to be in bottom 3 at Christmas, then the odds on getting promotion should be about 250 to 1, he will then slap on 100 grand. We win every game til the end of the season,win the playoffs.Tony cashes in and thats the playing budget sorted out for the next few seasons!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here