Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A personal update from me - depression (update post #141)

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Really pleased you are making positive steps Russ. Cooking and exercise both great, practical therapies but things you have to work at, stick at.

Give the boys a shout from me at Hudders tonight.

PG

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Hi all. Sorry I haven't posted an update for a good two weeks now.

Last Friday after 4 days in hospital and then after reassessment by the Crisis Mental Health team they admitted me under the Mental Health act, however 7 days later I can tell you all that I've been released and I'm now back at home at my mum and dad's place.

Met a good friend whilst being in there who I get on with really well as we both have been through sort of the same experiences so can understand and relate to each other. I have a few aims for myself over the next few weeks, first being try to learn to cook from scratch as this is something that I have wanted to do for a while and I purchased myself a beginners cookbook. I also want to improve my fitness and wellbeing so next week I'm going to join the gym and try and get myself focused on going there and helping myself.

Hopefully I'll be able to bump in to a few of the posters who have contributed to this thread on some of my away days in the forthcoming season. Will post another update soon.

Regards, Russ

Very best wishes, Russ, and both are positive things to be doing.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
one step at a time
well done

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Hi all. Sorry I haven't posted an update for a good two weeks now.

Last Friday after 4 days in hospital and then after reassessment by the Crisis Mental Health team they admitted me under the Mental Health act, however 7 days later I can tell you all that I've been released and I'm now back at home at my mum and dad's place.

Met a good friend whilst being in there who I get on with really well as we both have been through sort of the same experiences so can understand and relate to each other. I have a few aims for myself over the next few weeks, first being try to learn to cook from scratch as this is something that I have wanted to do for a while and I purchased myself a beginners cookbook. I also want to improve my fitness and wellbeing so next week I'm going to join the gym and try and get myself focused on going there and helping myself.

Hopefully I'll be able to bump in to a few of the posters who have contributed to this thread on some of my away days in the forthcoming season. Will post another update soon.

Regards, Russ

They're some very good words to read after your previous posts. As someone who's recently got into both cooking and going to the gym. I'm happy to give you a couple of words of advice.

Cooking: Start with something basic as hell. Learn how meat/rice/pasta actually cooks, the science behind it. Give yourself a good grounding. Start with spag bol or chicken and rice. Learn how cook those things well. Then get more ambitious. Stuff WILL go wrong. God knows how many times I've screwed up some complex recipe after getting too ambitious. Repetition is the key. You will get better and better. Being able to whip up a decent meal is a great way of feeling a sense of accomplishment. Cook for people too.

Gym: I've just got to the stage (after years of half arsed 2 month spells) of getting the gym into my life. That's the key for me. Chose a gym close to you. One that's so easy to get to that you don't have distance/travel as an excuse. I read a fantastic quote somewhere about it. I can't remember what it said word for word, but the gist was this... Don't exercise to lose weight or "get fit". Exercise for the feeling you get afterwards. It's tangible. And for me. It's enough to make me WANT to go. The first few times you go. You'll cheat, feel as unfit as hell, want to leave, make excuses. Believe me, I've been there. But just make sure you go. 2 times a week at first is realistic for me. Just half an hour, whatever. Get used to the gym as a place to be. They're really not as intimidating as they seem. Then and I PROMISE this will happen. You'll want to start going more. You'll look at those first few sessions and be glad that you were so shit. Because you'll know how far you've come.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here