Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A personal update from me - depression (update post #141)

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I was diagnosed with depression in 2008, and after counselling I was able to 'function' more normally than I was initially. Over the last 12 months i realised I had deteriorated to the point of twice trying to take my own life, once over Christmas and once not long afterwards. I'm now on SSRIs (fluoxetine) and taking things one day at a time.

The main thing I've learned is that it's ok to have bad days. Don't worry if you have some good days and some bad days - your feelings are real and you're allowed to have them. It may not just be an upward curve for you but that doesn't mean it's not working- it's a slow process but you've done one of the hardest things and have accepted that you need some guidance, in whatever form that takes.

All the best, there's many people here who will listen if you wish to offload.

Jul 7, 2003
RMT - I had you down as one of those long lost posters so whilst so sorry to hear of your predicament it is great that you have reached out. I can't say anything that might be of help other than to echo what others have said about keep on posting here. Whether you want to post something serious to help with your condition or just a load of complete bollox like the rest of us, if it helps you with your recovery then there are loads of friends on here who are ready to help - even if you have yet to meet them in person.

If you choose to come down to the Amex this season, then let everyone know. You'll be amazed how many people will make the effort to turn up under the North Stand to say hello and ensure you are okay.

Take care mate.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Firstly, thank you for posting your story and your feelings and some of the possible reasons for your feelings on NSC. I'm not a medical person and I wouldn't pretend to have any of the answers but I am pretty certain that being able to recognise and talk about how you are feeling is a very important starting point to turning things around. Secondly, we all tread very fine line in terms of our mental health. Everyone at some time in their life will experience feelings of loneliness and/or lack of worth and/or helplessness and/or inability to cope and/or sadness and/or introversion and/or isolation and/or despair at the end of a valued relationship etc etc and any of these feelings can easily become magnified depending on your personality, the support mechanisms you have available or your circumstances at the time. As others have said on here, the solution and the path you take towards normalising your feelings is very individual - what works well for one person may not work for another. You are a completely unique human being, we all are and we are the more wonderful for it, and it may be that you already know what the triggers for these feelings are for you and maybe even how you can begin to control these triggers. Talking of triggers I was so sorry to hear about the situation with your girlfriend...I guess this was the last thing you needed but maybe the important point that may emerge from this is that she wasn't the right person for you anyway? I'm sorry, I'm rambling a bit now so I'll stop. But as you can see you have many friends here on NSC who will support you and try to offer their help and advice so keep posting and never, never, never feel that somehow, in so doing, people will think you are seeking attention or will in some way think badly of you. You have taken a bold and important first step in talking to us - we are here to support and help not to judge.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
RM-T, one of the things you must not do is stop posting on NSC!

Post updates on your health but, equally importantly,get back to posting about BHA! Embrace what NSC is all about - you'll make comments that others think is drivel and vice versa. Join everyone else in the speculation, rumour and guesswork about new players that happens at this time of year, marvel at the diverse opinions on each player, or the number of pages about BZ returning based on no facts whatsoever!

We all sympathise with your situation but make no mistake, if you post drivel about BHA, you'll be told ...isn't that the fun of NSC? Get back into it mate! It won't solve your problems but, hopefully, it will be a small part of normal, everyday life that helps you back on track.

RM-T, I would echo this fella.

I think of you (and your Dad) as true stalwarts of NSC and very genuine exiled fans. It's not going to provide you with real-life solutions to your problems but the Albion - and NSC - can give you something to belong to again, and that just might help you move in the right direction.

I'm no expert, but try not to anticipate magic solutions, but small steps in the right direction. Having the courage to open up on here is one of those.

Good luck. Keep us posted!

PG

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
Hi all, I've been debating today whether or not to post this on here but came to the conclusion in the end that I would.

As some of you may remember I used to post a lot on here a good few years ago, yes mainly dribble and crap, but recently I've been more of a viewer and averaging less than 10 posts per month I'd guess.

one of the main reasons for this is due to my passion for football pretty much being non existent since moving away from the north to try and start a fresh life on my own. Things were okay to start with but I soon came to learn that I couldn't handle being alone as it was driving me insane and I started to pass more of my depressive feelings on to my other half. Things in the past week for me have completely turned my life upside down and made me feel so low and to the point of not wanting to carry on anymore, so currently back up north at the parents. This morning I attempted to take an overdose but my mum found me and managed to stop me a quarter of the way through the amount of tablets that I had infront of me. There's a long road to recovery ahead I know.

yes I know this sounds attention seeking etc. but over the years I've made friends with numerous people on here so wanted to give them an update on how I am. If this thread is not suitable then mods can remove

A very REAL and horrible condition my friend. I sincerely wish you a speedy recovery and at times of hardship there's something us Brighton fans know how to do is stick together. You are not alone mate!

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
Life is always worth living mate.

right....except when it isn't. 'recovering' from depression is not about realising that life's worth living. it's about becoming well enough to enjoy the life you have and maybe to be able to muster up the energy and enthusiasm needed to make changes and improvements in your life. depression, at its worst, can sap you of all desire to do......anything. at times like that the thought of actively going out and doing something major to change your life seems laughable and the best thing you can do is to not even worry about it and just concentrate on getting well. talking, therapy, medication - whatever it takes, you need some kind of support to get through the worst of it and then when you're better or at least 'in control' of your depression, you can think about changing things in your life in a more meaningful way. bit of a rambling post and not much of it relates to the post i quoted.... oh well, i wish you well RMT.

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
Nothing can or will change in your life unless you make it happen.
No doctor,no therapist,no trick cyclist....NOBODY.
You have to not only WANT the change......which is easy.....we all want,want want.
You have to initiate the change.
There will be people around to help you.
Without a doubt you will get support. Lots of us care about you already,and we don't even know you.
How's that for a start?
We'll share your depression amongst thousands of us so it becomes so insignificant it can't hurt anybody.
We'll all take a little piece for you.
Don't be a victim......be a survivor.
Then you will be able to help others who feel like you do now!

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
R
Yeah and doctors are supposed to be experts on these matters yeah?
They haven't a clue from experience and will just throw pills at you and boot you out the door.

Yes you maybe right about advice,but would like to think I'm a positive person who offers something different than the usual trip to the doctors and getting pills.

It's not rocket science that for most pills are not the awnser as the nhs doesn't have the recourses for one to one counciling.

Wish the bloke well and speaking to people about it is huge :)

Apart from advising that the OP talks to people and that you aren't an expert your posts ...suck!
Engage your brain, think about the OP and stop giving crap uninformed advice! :facepalm:

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Pl
RM-T, one of the things you must not do is stop posting on NSC!

Post updates on your health but, equally importantly,get back to posting about BHA! Embrace what NSC is all about - you'll make comments that others think is drivel and vice versa. Join everyone else in the speculation, rumour and guesswork about new players that happens at this time of year, marvel at the diverse opinions on each player, or the number of pages about BZ returning based on no facts whatsoever!

We all sympathise with your situation but make no mistake, if you post drivel about BHA, you'll be told ...isn't that the fun of NSC? Get back into it mate! It won't solve your problems but, hopefully, it will be a small part of normal, everyday life that helps you back on track.

All of this :thumbsup:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
All the best mate, I hope things get better for you.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Black Dog can be crippling. Keep strong and just live one day at a time, for the moment, don't put too much pressure on yourself, eat well, sleep well, exercise. Never give up. You could have 60 years of life yet and anything might happen for you

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Thank you, RMT, for sharing this with everyone on NSC - a brave thing to do. Now in my sixtieth year I've been there twice but I can confirm it IS only temporary with the right help, especially being able to talk about what is getting you down. I still carry a "thing" with me from the Troubles in N. Ireland which can literally stop me functioning for about three hours when it comes to the surface, but such episodes are thankfully rare and getting rarer thanks to techniques I can use if I feel things bubbling up. Although we on NSC can often seem like a bunch of tw*ts obsessed only with football, it has to be said that many of us have compassion and understanding about the things that really matter, and if I'm wound up or browned off after a hard day just coming on here and reading some of the posts can lift the mood and have me laughing out loud - the humour and banter from Brighton fans is, I think, second to none. So hang in there, RMT, keep posting, and never forget there are literally hundreds of us on your side, wishing you well, and genuinely interested in YOU......

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Trying to take one day at a time, had a further counselling session today which helped me get a few things off my mind that have been circling in my head in various ways over a number of years. Going to be selfish but I need to look after number one, there is a real long road ahead and I know it's not going to be a straight ride, I need all the help and support that I can get, reading through all of the comments and posts back on here is really helping. Shows how good NSC can be.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Trying to take one day at a time, had a further counselling session today which helped me get a few things off my mind that have been circling in my head in various ways over a number of years. Going to be selfish but I need to look after number one, there is a real long road ahead and I know it's not going to be a straight ride, I need all the help and support that I can get, reading through all of the comments and posts back on here is really helping. Shows how good NSC can be.

Good Luck to you.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

At least finding the road is a good start though eh ? Hope everything works out for you - stay strong.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Speak and we'll listen. Keep posting my friend.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Some very sage advice on here. At the risk of repeating some of it here's my ten penneth worth:

Although very very challenging, try to resist the urges to isolate yourself, don't underestimate the impact of fresh air, exercise and diet and, if you can, set yourself a realistic, achievable goal for the following day (it does not matter how small) and talk, talk, talk. I wish you strength and resilience for the times ahead and that the tide will turn for you sooner than later.

Lastly, someone I know, at the right time, found some comfort and then motivation through certain songs & particularly this one. Good luck chap.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here