Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] A new Selhurst

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I wouldn't expect you to be an expert on South London like myself but I take particularly interest in architecture of national importance.

I was referring of course to the Holmesdale End. The fixtures and fittings were removed from the B&Q catalogue as early as the late eighties as the fashion is stadium design went from "shit" to "quite nice".

Whilst the Arthur Wait stand is much older it is Grade II listed being one of the last examples of a non cantilevered roof suspended with rusty poles.

I was indeed, referring jokingly to the Arthur Wait, which was built in 1969.

Sadly the new edifice will mean the removal of yet another Archibald Leitch original, leaving only a few of his stands at places such as Everton, Fulham and P*rtsm**th. Selhurst's, built in 1924, was never one of his best (Goodison and Ibrox had that honour, I think), but it will still be a piece of history gone, if Palace don't go into administration again first. Of course, as someone who has sat in that museum piece more often than I've liked, I won't miss the appalling sightlines and dreadful facilities.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
:lolol:
Good spot.

CPFC%20stadium.jpg

Just to be clear - were they going to use the stadium on the left, or on the right ?
Palace's American owners have moved on from this unambitious project and are now proposing something more in line with Atlanta's new $1.6bn stadium...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/american-football/42308887

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here