Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] A nerdy question on Brighton phone numbers

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Definitely 100% completed in the early 90s. My nan and grandad were still on 5 digits in 90 for certain, as was my mum’s work .

Nah, late 70s, early 80s. Remember the change from my aunt saying ‘Brighton 61536’ to ‘601536’ as the extra digit made it too much of a mouthful to sau Brighton first!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Nah, late 70s, early 80s. Remember the change from my aunt saying ‘Brighton 61536’ to ‘601536’ as the extra digit made it too much of a mouthful to sau Brighton first!

Ha, yes, I was always taught to answer the phone with the number. Strange behaviour.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing

Was certainly happening in that period, but as stated, my mums work and grandparents were still both on 5 digit numbers in 1990.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Staying on phones. Am thinking of giving up landline as 90% of calls received and made are now on mobile.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
It's surprisingly wrong. Woodingdean/Rottingdean were still five numbers in the mid 80s as was the centre of town. Being a pedant, I've just looked at the 1983 phone book in Ancestry.

I moved to Woodingdean in 1986 and they were still 5 digits then.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Ha, yes, I was always taught to answer the phone with the number. Strange behaviour.

Unbelievable to think those days we taught to say the number when answering a call. ask someone to repeat the're number now is akin to swearing in church. people are more secretive now.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I also remember being able to dial a Worthing/Lancing number from the Brighton area by prefixing 91.

Definitely and that went on into the early 90s I reckon. I remember having a Mrs who lived in Boring Goring in 1990 and I'm sure I called her by just adding 91 to the start of the number.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-[emoji713 said:
-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;9311942]I was born in 1984 and remember our number changing from 25606 to 325606 so that would have been sometime towards the end of the 80s if I was old enough to understand phones.

Would I be right in thinking that would have been a town centre home?

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Grew up in woodingdean, born in 1978.

I remember our number being 37955, I'm pretty sure it changed in the late 80's to 307955. Certainly before I went to senior school in 1990.

When Nynex came round and we got cable it changed to 706127 in the early 1990's.

Those numbers are long gone now.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
this is arguably not relevant as its not Brighton. I grew up in Bexhill born in 67 and I remember our phone number was three digits long

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
this is arguably not relevant as its not Brighton. I grew up in Bexhill born in 67 and I remember our phone number was three digits long

Definitely were a fair few in Sussex, although I'm quite surprised about Bexhill.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Definitely and that went on into the early 90s I reckon. I remember having a Mrs who lived in Boring Goring in 1990 and I'm sure I called her by just adding 91 to the start of the number.

I also remember being able to dial a Worthing/Lancing number from the Brighton area by prefixing 91.

There were local codes for loads of places. I think the idea was that it saved you dialling the STD code for a nearby town, as many of your calls would be local-ish. I worked at Nat West till 1990, and having a local code for Worthing and elsewhere was a godsend, as otherwise you had to dial the whole number again and again for busy companies.

Incidentally - I still have a five-digit phone number now. Our STD code is 6-digits, but for anywhere local, we just dial five digits - whereas in Brighton I think you have to dial the whole lot - even locally?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
There were local codes for loads of places. I think the idea was that it saved you dialling the STD code for a nearby town, as many of your calls would be local-ish. I worked at Nat West till 1990, and having a local code for Worthing and elsewhere was a godsend, as otherwise you had to dial the whole number again and again for busy companies.

Incidentally - I still have a five-digit phone number now. Our STD code is 6-digits, but for anywhere local, we just dial five digits - whereas in Brighton I think you have to dial the whole lot - even locally?

Yes you have to dial the std code and number now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here