Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

a minutes silence or a minutes applause??

seagull 1979

Praying for points
Aug 29, 2011
Bicester
After seeing the very touching moment at Swansea when the silence broke into applause on Sunday, is this not how we should be remembering all great players that leave us?? Just as we appreciated them when they were players??
Can we make the Derby silence into the applause that I’m sure would mean more to the loved ones let behind?

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I thought the Swansea clapping was a superb tribute, and especially the "One Gary Speed" chant. It just seemed right to me somehow.

I also thought the silence for Remembrance day, where you could actually hear the A27 traffic in the background was very moving and fitting for that occasion too.

So I'd go for silence for Remembrance Sunday and the like, but yes, definitely a round of applause for individuals like great players and servants to the game, as indeed Gary Speed was.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
Applause,
Edit: far more respectful...:clap:

Edit (2) : also with silence one idiot can ruin it...I know people don't, but there's always one arse hole :annoyed:

oh i know, at the england game, everyone was doing the remembrance silence. then some moron SHOUTS to his kids WE'RE SUPPOSED TO BE SILENT!!!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think applause in general for members of football in general or ex players etc of other clubs, like Gary Speed Silence for our own ex players or persons close to the club like directors employees etc.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i think applause is suitable for footballers and other entertainers, that is after all why you remember them and applauded them before.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Silence, always, for two reasons:
-It allows you to think
-the contrast between the rest of the noise of the afternoon.

tgretton87

Shoreham Beach Seagull#2
Jul 30, 2011
Gary Speed has to be silence in my eyes as it was such a shock. Clapping should be reserved for people that have died of old age and had long careers IE clapping celebrates there life and achievements, Silence should be used when someones life is cut tragically short and did not achieve there full potential. Gary Speed was a legend in my eyes and the loss of life is shocking.

RIP Gary

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If they die of natural causes after a full life; applause, to celebrate them
If they die of unnatural causes, or a sudden unexpected death, or in some sort of accident/disaster; silence, to reflect on the fragility of life

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I think the applause was more an outburst of emotion from the Swansea fans. I think silence is more appropriate in this case...

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I'd always thought silence for the more unexpected, gone too soon deaths or for larger scale things like Remembrance Day. Applause for someone who has lived a full life and died naturally, to show celebration of their life.

Gary Speed obviously was a shock to everyone but was still a life to be celebrated. The fact of was an almost spontaneous round of applause made it rather fitting.

seagull 1979

Praying for points
Aug 29, 2011
Bicester
Silence, always, for two reasons:
-It allows you to think
-the contrast between the rest of the noise of the afternoon.

This
but
applause constantly and at a good level instead of the general noise seems more aimed at that the specific person. Remember as he will always be remembered by the fans.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
The applause was moving because it was unexpected and spontaneous, generally I think silence is best though.

It felt right that the game was a 0-0, wonder whether that was deliberate.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I think applause would be appropriate recognition of a fine footballer & jolly decent person.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
If they die of natural causes after a full life; applause, to celebrate them
If they die of unnatural causes, or a sudden unexpected death, or in some sort of accident/disaster; silence, to reflect on the fragility of life

And that is why.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I think the applause was more an outburst of emotion from the Swansea fans. I think silence is more appropriate in this case...

Truth ^

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here