Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] A minimum of four minutes added time

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I would add that we had clearly scouted them well before last night. For every goal kick their two full-backs dropped in and a centre-mid on the edge of the box to pick up a short pass. We had Hemed and Knocky covering the short-ball so the keeper then had to send it long (after he had gestured where he aimed to send it).

Thing is this happened on every kick (apart from when they were 1-0 down when everything went long), you'd think they would work out that we had them sussed and use it on the odd occasion not keep persisting.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Their goalie went to take a goal kick early in the second half. Initially he kicked the ball to the left of the box. He then went over and picked up the ball and placed it in the centre of the box. Finally he again picked up the ball and threw it over to the right and took the goal kick. What are the laws of the game regarding a keeper handling the ball after it has been placed for a kick?

No that is clutching at straws.

It's still up to the ref to clamp down on obvious time but they never do and just seem to avoid the issue by claiming that they add on extra time.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Surely this is really easy to deal with: play for, say, 30 mins per half, but only count when the ball is actually in-play. Clock stops when ball goes out of play, when ref blows for free-kick, for substitution, etc, etc.

Result: no incentive for time-wasting, no-one is short-changed.

And it can be done at all levels of the game, as long as there's a ref with a stopwatch.

Haven't the fans just been shortchanged by half an hour of football! Last time I seem to recall it was analysed, it was estimated that the ball in play was about 65 t0 70 minutes per match!!!!

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Haven't the fans just been shortchanged by half an hour of football! Last time I seem to recall it was analysed, it was estimated that the ball in play was about 65 t0 70 minutes per match!!!!

I was guessing. But it would
Be easy to see how much football actually happens currently, and set the time at the top end of the range. So two halves of 30 or of 35 mins in practice?

The laws might need tweaking but not much. Eg introduce a time limit for taking a throw/corner/free-kick.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

OK then, 35 minutes each way. Or 36.72 minutes or whatever - that's just a quibble. The idea is excellent - I've been suggesting it for years - the exact number of minutes would need to be worked out, sure, but the principle is fine. Why quibble over it?

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I actually think time-wasting can be counter productive.

Huddersfield were top of the table. We'd lost at home in the previous game and were struggling in the 2nd half. Surely it would have made more sense for them to go for it? For me the actions of their keeper just highlighted the club's lack of ambition.

If they keep that attitude over the season they've no chance of staying near the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robbie c

Jan 30, 2008
Leighton buzzard
I actually think time-wasting can be counter productive.

Huddersfield were top of the table. We'd lost at home in the previous game and were struggling in the 2nd half. Surely it would have made more sense for them to go for it? For me the actions of their keeper just highlighted the club's lack of ambition.

If they keep that attitude over the season they've no chance of staying near the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Draw away win at home gets you promoted...our tactics last year

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Draw away win at home gets you promoted...our tactics last year

We were kind of forced into that tactic at places like Derby, QPR & Burnley though having attacked and played well at the beginning of games only to suffer agonising equalisers at the end. We played for a draw at Hull but I'm not sure where else we did this?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I would add that we had clearly scouted them well before last night. For every goal kick their two full-backs dropped in and a centre-mid on the edge of the box to pick up a short pass. We had Hemed and Knocky covering the short-ball so the keeper then had to send it long (after he had gestured where he aimed to send it).

Thing is this happened on every kick (apart from when they were 1-0 down when everything went long), you'd think they would work out that we had them sussed and use it on the odd occasion not keep persisting.

All a bit academic really, seeing as how the keeper's kicks were so poor that the ball invariably flew straight off for an Albion throw. Apart from the few times that Bong got a head to it and helped it on its way out.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Surely this is really easy to deal with: play for, say, 30 mins per half, but only count when the ball is actually in-play. Clock stops when ball goes out of play, when ref blows for free-kick, for substitution, etc, etc.

Result: no incentive for time-wasting, no-one is short-changed.

And it can be done at all levels of the game, as long as there's a ref with a stopwatch.

Always thought an independent time-keeper would be a good idea but I suppose there is one potential drawback. With the clock stopped, there would be less urgency generally for players to get on with the game. Potentially, although it wouldn't be 'time-wasting' as such, teams would have even more scope to disrupt the flow and rhythm of their opponents by generally messing about at stoppages.. taking as long as they like over free-kicks, subs, throw-ins etc which is not in the nature of the sport. I imagine that's why it's not been given a go.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I thought Huddersfield were going to benefit from getting back all the time they'd been wasting at the end of the second half, and the referee was going to add 6 or 7 minutes on.

If it had still been 0-0, I'd have been fuming at only 4 minutes. I'd like to think he took the position of the game into account.
yes I agree it would be unjust if it had been added on. Time wasting should not be rewarded. Well done referee .

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
All a bit academic really, seeing as how the keeper's kicks were so poor that the ball invariably flew straight off for an Albion throw. Apart from the few times that Bong got a head to it and helped it on its way out.

I know, but going through that whole process 12 times in the game cost at least 6 mins of playing time, as each kick was taking over 30 seconds by the time he had ushered everyone up the pitch when the short kick clearly wasn't going to work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here