Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] A maximum of 4,000 fans to be allowed at outdoor sports events

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I can’t believe they’ll bother, surely it will cost more than they will make in revenue?

I guess it comes down to things like...

- Wanting some fans in because it could give the team an advantage for home games.
- Proving that some fans can be accommodated safely in order to help build a case for bigger crowds to be permitted.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I do not know if this has already been mentioned on the thread. I just spoke to the club on live chat and you do not initially opt out of the ballot. If you are drawn out of the hat, you will be notified, within this notification there will be an opt out option. So, it seems you get 6 opt out options if you get drawn out 6 times or they are just doing away with the 6 opt outs, not sure. If you don't get drawn out, no worries. Previously, they said if you were drawn out, you either go to the match, sell the ticket online or lose the money /ticket.
This sounds a better way of doing things.

I still don't understand why they don't let people opt out completely (unless on some .gov list of vulnerable).

It's not as if they aren't going to get 2000/4000 wanting to go. Just seems totally daft and adding unnecessary process of STH exchange ... or empty seats

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
So with 2,000, we stand less than a 1 in 10 chance of being successful in the ballot :(

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I still don't understand why they don't let people opt out completely (unless on some .gov list of vulnerable).

It's not as if they aren't going to get 2000/4000 wanting to go. Just seems totally daft and adding unnecessary process of STH exchange ... or empty seats

Does seem crazy to risk empty seats in a crowd of 2000. I would imagine there will be excess demand but with the current restriction on opt outs there will be some ticket winners who wont turn up and won’t bother putting them on the exchange.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I can’t believe they’ll bother, surely it will cost more than they will make in revenue?

You can opt out of six, so unless we go into Tier 3 or event rules change. You can sit out untill Villa at home 13th of February.

I am not sure if you can then sell them back to the ticket exchange after this, in which case beyond Palace and Leicester at Home and into March 2021.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Possibly will, but the club may well see it as worth it for the benefits of re-engaging fans, giving the players an extra boost and 2000 partisan referee advisors.

Serious question: What are the costs of opening up for 2000 paying fans? Surely if lower and non-league clubs can make similar numbers viable, you can at a higher level.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You can opt out of six, so unless we go into Tier 3 or event rules change. You can sit out untill Villa at home 13th of February.

I am not sure if you can then sell them back to the ticket exchange after this, in which case beyond Palace and Leicester at Home and into March 2021.

Are you sure ? The six have to be a max of 2 from each Cat A, B and C

Oh FFS. Nice one Sky :ffsparr:

I guess we have to give the TV companies a bit of slack at the moment. Every single Premier League match has to be televised at present, and although there will be 2,000 lucky fans in attendance at this match there will be at least 28,000 others at home desperate to watch it, plus the armchair fans who don't normally attend the Amex anyway.

So the scheduling to achieve full coverage across multiple broadcasters must be a bit trickier than normal.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Possibly will, but the club may well see it as worth it for the benefits of re-engaging fans, giving the players an extra boost and 2000 partisan referee advisors.

Serious question: What are the costs of opening up for 2000 paying fans? Surely if lower and non-league clubs can make similar numbers viable, you can at a higher level.

I guess if every fan spent a tenner that £20,000 in revenue, I’m assuming you can’t class the revenue from the ticket as that’s already been paid for as a season ticket, so the question is will it cost the club less than 20k to stage the match.

As for lower/non league they will have more cash on the gate?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I guess if every fan spent a tenner that £20,000 in revenue, I’m assuming you can’t class the revenue from the ticket as that’s already been paid for as a season ticket, so the question is will it cost the club less than 20k to stage the match.

As for lower/non league they will have more cash on the gate?

Barber was interviewed on the BBC this morning and was 100% clear that the club will lose even more money in allowing 2000 in rather than none, but is happy that it has to happen as the first step towards greater numbers.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
So it looks like I can get allocated a ticket but don't have to actually take it up? No mention of only being able to do that for 6 games so if I have that correct I am not obligated to go if I'm uncomfortable doing so.

If I've got that right it's good news, but then I'd have thought the club would have created an 'opt out of ballot' option

No need really - you just don't apply for your allotted ticket, and it goes to the next tier/window if not taken. Seems pretty sensible really - whatever they decided to do would be open to question....................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here