Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A massive summer clear out and I hope Tony Bloom delivers on his promise......

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Where's the money gonna come from to virtually rebuild the whole side??
Hardly any sell on value with current players except Dunk & Ince but they're the two players we need to keep at the club to build around, gonna be another long hard season IMO

Hence my comment re more loans :(

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Everyone is trying to jump from relegation candidates to a promotion team. Get real. It can happen Palace proved that but it's rare. Next year will to be to rebuild to a strong mid table side or a tad above that if we are lucky. No one moaned on the 2 and a half mill on CMS but it just hasn't worked out. Nor has the 2 mill on Baldock (?) so far but we have paid out on strikers. The problem is only Ulloa has been any good.
Both the Murray and Barnes deals have worked against us but I think the club thought on both occasions we were going to buy better. There are no guarantees .

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
COG will make a good squad CF.

I think he's omitted COG on the basis of money no object hence no COG ...otherwise i agree with u

Good call [MENTION=11350]LamieRobertson[/MENTION] - if we were able to completely overhaul the squad COG could be sold. If there were an element of compromise he'd be my back up no 9. Don't expect to go up in that scenario though.......

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Where's the money gonna come from to virtually rebuild the whole side??
Hardly any sell on value with current players except Dunk & Ince but they're the two players we need to keep at the club to build around, gonna be another long hard season IMO

Problem is the fans have kept with the club, they keep paying out for the season tickets, one of if not the highest amount of ST's in the league, the club has sold it's best players if not given them away and brought in a squad which is far far poorer than before. Irrelevant of player budget (the club insist it's the highest it's been) they have royally failed. It's up to the hierarchy to sort it and give their supporters something to get excited about.

It's over to you Bloom/Barber.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Everyone is trying to jump from relegation candidates to a promotion team. Get real. It can happen Palace proved that but it's rare. Next year will to be to rebuild to a strong mid table side or a tad above that if we are lucky. No one moaned on the 2 and a half mill on CMS but it just hasn't worked out. Nor has the 2 mill on Baldock (?) so far but we have paid out on strikers. The problem is only Ulloa has been any good.
Both the Murray and Barnes deals have worked against us but I think the club thought on both occasions we were going to buy better. There are no guarantees .

To be honest though most wanted Murray to stay at that time and not using hindsight.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
I'm beginning to wonder what Tony's priorities are, I know he likes bricks and mortar as he's built a brilliant stadium, he's also built a brilliant training complex and now he's building a quality hotel, so given all that when is he going to get around to building a fecking quality football team.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
I have just tried to ask myself who I'd keep if money was no object. The answer was, well, almost no one,

Ince - keep
Dunk - keep
Kayal - keep
Walton - keep
Baldock - keep

That's my definites.

After that I can't make a case for keeping a player other than sentimentality around Calde.

I would also add Stockdale as well, but would give Walton the chance to claim the number one spot in pre season. I would definitely bring in Halford and add Stephens to that list. Baldock should be played as a striker or he be sold. I felt a bit sorry for him and Colunga both brought as strikers and played on the wing so not able to prove themselves. Lua Lua and Solly March have both got long contracts and should be in the squad. That leaves a fair number of signings required for next season, but there must be several decent players that will be released by their clubs in the premiership and championship and it will be up to us to act quickly and give CH as much time to work with his squad in the summer so we can hit the ground running, unlike the last few seasons. I would expect Glen Rea to step up into the squad as well next year and possibly Jesse Starkey. Other than that though, I have not seen any others coming through that are ready to step up. It will take a few more years before the academy pays dividends. Let's hope we can stay up. If so it could be an interesting summer.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
To be honest though most wanted Murray to stay at that time and not using hindsight.

No I agree, I did too. They got it wrong and that was down to wages......anyway that's been discussed so many times now. Palace fans thought he was shit the following season....its a funny old game .
As a footnote though who can honestly say that he would have got 30 for us in his second season in the championship. Anyway it's what happens from now on P Man.

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
No I agree, I did too. They got it wrong and that was down to wages......anyway that's been discussed so many times now. Palace fans thought he was shit the following season....its a funny old game .
As a footnote though who can honestly say that he would have got 30 for us in his second season in the championship. Anyway it's what happens from now on P Man.

Agreed.

The club has been very quite apart from Bloom attempting to protect certain players (and himself), even the April fools day jest has proved to be a tad pathetic considering most wouldn't mind a bit of Goal music!

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Sell please bloom !!! To a chairman who knows how to run a club properly !!!

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I'm beginning to wonder what Tony's priorities are, I know he likes bricks and mortar as he's built a brilliant stadium, he's also built a brilliant training complex and now he's building a quality hotel, so given all that when is he going to get around to building a fecking quality football team.

I think he's been really badly advised, with that being down to the goons he's employed. Really strange to have made such a mess of building a team to deliver given his apparent success in business.

After todays shambles I hope Chris Hughton gets the funds needed for the rebuilding of the team cos if Tony wants a top 6 finish next season then my word its gonna take a lot of doing.....We are going to need a complete re vamp and I hope CH will stay to do it ...It will only take a poor start to the season for him to maybe think what he has let himself in for and we could be looking for a 4th manager in as many seasons!!!

The worst thing that could have happened to us would have been Hughton pulling off some kind of miracle run to get us up to 10th place or thereabouts - and then fans being happy with that and putting no pressure on the board to bring in some real quality for next season.

The board have dodged a bullet with the season ticket renewal rate which is a good thing - they must now repay the faith of fans by showing the ambition we need.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Think we would need a new RB, LB, at least one CB, at least two new wingers and at least two new strikers if we are to compete for play-offs next season. And to get players good enough, we will probably need to spend upwards of £10 million, which obviously isn't going to happen.

Ah well, what can you do.

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Pathetic football, pathetic forwards, dull games and yet they expect everyone to turn up week in week out. I will be their as usual but they really are ****ing things up.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Think we would need a new RB, LB, at least one CB, at least two new wingers and at least two new strikers if we are to compete for play-offs next season. And to get players good enough, we will probably need to spend upwards of £10 million, which obviously isn't going to happen.

Ah well, what can you do.

Plus a creative midfielder to replace Tex. £10m is definitely around the figure we need to spend but it is more likely to be circa £2m and a few loan players. That would be fine if it was clear where our ambitions lie but it will be accompanied by a whole load of spin from the PR guru masquerading as a CEO that will state we've got a title winning squad in place after bolstering the top 6 squad that was in place for this year.

If we don't reinforce as is clearly required it will be interesting to see the accounts and where the Ulloa, Buckley and Bridcutt cash has gone.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
I was there yesterday, and again was a bit shocked on the team selection with the players chosen. We simply do not have a striker good enough to play the lone role. Rotherham had 2 very average strikers and they played together as a pair and caused us problems, why can't Hughton see that we need to play 2 strikers.Again lost to a very poor side. The the person who slags of Bloom basically pays for us to watch a team in a wonderful stadium, please go and support another team as I can assure you we have the best owner in football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here