Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] A manager uses an inappopriate adjective. Thoughts?

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Anyone whose been to school knows exactly what that word means and why for obvious reasons it’s extremely offensive to use out of context . I would put it up there with the N word it’s that offensive .

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Good man. Your honesty is commendable and I would not have expected less from you.

In my lab we do blinded and randomized experiments. Also known as experiments (as opposed to pissing about and trying to prove my point). If I were a self aggrandiser and ponce, I would put 'seeker of truth' or somesuch in my strapline. Now, where did I see that recently? JCrumplim? Futy...footie.... generous....geni...? No it's gone. :shrug:

:thumbsup:

All you have to do do is watch an episode of Question Time :kiss:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
And there we have it. Quite.

See what you think, later, when I reveal the name of the manager. I hope you won't join the lynch mob. I'm a big fan of using the right tools for the job.

You should have had a poll - or in fact, two polls. One for NSCers who know who you're talking about, and the other for NSCers who have no idea. I suspect the results would be very different!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Here is the quote:

During a post-match press conference on Saturday, Mr X told reporters:

"I said to the lads during the week, 'the team's almost like musical chairs'.

"Someone gets in and does well but then gets suspended or injured.

"Someone gets in for a game, does well but then has a holocaust, a nightmare, an absolute disaster."

The BBC web page then helpfully points out that

"The Holocaust, carried out by the Nazis during World War Two, claimed the lives about an estimated six million Jews."

In the tackle houshold, Mrs T and I think the manager should be reminded that some people may be upset by the use of a holocaust, which could be confused with The Holocaust, as an analogy for something, and would be advised to choose his words more carefully in future.

Apparently there have been some calls from some quarters that the manager be sacked.

Without looking up the case and the identity of the manager, what are your immediate thoughts?

PS PLEASE DON'T REVEAL THE NAME OF THE MANAGER OR COMMENT IN A WAY THAT REVEALS THE NAME OF THE MANAGER. WE CAN DO THAT LATER.

Didn't this happen three and half years ago?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I would hope it was made by someone whose first language was not English, perhaps not quite getting how significant use of the word was.

Being Barton, totally understandable as he is an ********.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Anyone whose been to school knows exactly what that word means and why for obvious reasons it’s extremely offensive to use out of context . I would put it up there with the N word it’s that offensive .

Since I started the thread I will read your post. Here is what the Oxford dictionary says:

1. Destruction or slaughter on a mass scale, especially caused by fire or nuclear war.
‘a nuclear holocaust’

1.1the HolocaustThe mass murder of Jewish people under the German Nazi regime during the period 1941–5. More than 6 million European Jews, as well as members of other persecuted groups such as Romani, gay people, and disabled people, were murdered at concentration camps such as Auschwitz.

Barton can easily argue that he meant the first definition and in analogy. It is unarguable.

Unless yout think Barton is secretly (not so secretly, apparently) promoting Naziism. Deliberately using the word to upset Jews. Seriously?

Bit of a tit, or Agent of Farrage/Corbyn, hell bent on supporting their quest to push the Jews into the sea? You appear to have decided. And back on ignore. :mad:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Just sounds like someone trying to sound more intelligent than they actually are.

Maybe he is just trying out his latest statement for his next court appearance which I believe is still scheduled for November.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I find it interesting that one or two, who would normally side with the Right (not traditionally favourable towards the Jews), have on this occasion decided to side with the Barton lynch mob.

I am unfamiliar with what attracts bullies, but it would seem that the easier and weaker target is the first one you go for.

Who knew? ???

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Stick a cigar in his eye and anyone else using the word when interviewed.

In fairness he might just be trying to set himself up for the Newcastle job or leader of the Labour Party.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just sounds like someone trying to sound more intelligent than they actually are.

Maybe he is just trying out his latest statement for his next court appearance which I believe is still scheduled for November.

Or just a careless slip of the tongue.

And he did say 'a holocaust', which is a conflagration, rather than 'The Holocaust'. The capitalization of the 'H' in the BBC report is the decision of the journalist.

I will repeat, antisemitism is disgusting. I am in conflict in my union about it. I rejoiced at the humiliation of Corbyn over it. I detest Jon Lansman. All I am saying is don't make a mockery of the war by picking stupid fights. This fight is well stupid.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Stick a cigar in his eye as and anyone else using the word when interviewed.

In fairness he might just be trying to set himself up for the Newcastle job or leader of the Labour Party.

Corbyn is gone. Lansman is gone. Dry your tory eyes. The centre is in charge now.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Since I started the thread I will read your post. Here is what the Oxford dictionary says:

1. Destruction or slaughter on a mass scale, especially caused by fire or nuclear war.
‘a nuclear holocaust’

1.1the HolocaustThe mass murder of Jewish people under the German Nazi regime during the period 1941–5. More than 6 million European Jews, as well as members of other persecuted groups such as Romani, gay people, and disabled people, were murdered at concentration camps such as Auschwitz.

Barton can easily argue that he meant the first definition and in analogy. It is unarguable.

Unless yout think Barton is secretly (not so secretly, apparently) promoting Naziism. Deliberately using the word to upset Jews. Seriously?

Bit of a tit, or Agent of Farrage/Corbyn, hell bent on supporting their quest to push the Jews into the sea? You appear to have decided. And back on ignore. :mad:
It was an unfortunate choice - or misuse - of a word. Of course, it is a very emotive word, but many people will immediately jump on it, wrongly believng that any reference to A holocaust is in a knee-jerk way taken to be the same as THE holocaust.
There's another word that sometimes gets similarly misused in this kind of situation. Suppose somebody said, "Manchester United were decimated by Liverpool" few people would turn a hair. But decimated? Like f*** they weren't! Now that really would have made front page news!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It was an unfortunate choice - or misuse - of a word. Of course, it is a very emotive word, but many people will immediately jump on it, wrongly believng that any reference to A holocaust is in a knee-jerk way taken to be the same as THE holocaust.
There's another word that sometimes gets similarly misused in this kind of situation. Suppose somebody said, "Manchester United were decimated by Liverpool" few people would turn a hair. But decimated? Like f*** they weren't! Now that really would have made front page news!

Indeed. Good to see we are on the same page again :thumbsup:

(But what is the book? ??? :eek::eek::lolol:)

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Totally agree. I don’t think even Joey Barton is stupid enough to use the word referring specifically to THE Holocaust

But it was just a stupid choice of word. Having said that, it is not a word that is in my everyday vocabulary.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here