Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A man has two children. One of them is a boy.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
:wrong::wrong:

"One out of two"...... "One Boy out of two Children is as clear factually as it can be.......

It just isn't though, however much you bang your mallet.
"One is a boy" is ambigious. It can mean "Only one" or "at least one".

How about I say "You know what? I think Bobby will get one this weekend." Now suppose we win 3-0 with a BZ hatrick. Would you really claim I had been wrong? Fact is, he had got one, and then another and then another.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think it matters. This is why.

Easy part 1:
Let's consider 100 couples have a baby. Half have a boy, half have a girl.
Now let's consider they all have a second baby, half having a boy, half a girl.

Hopefully most of us would agree that 25% have 2 boys, 25% have 2 girls, and 50% have one of each.

Agreed

Easy part 2:
If I walked up to a random couple and said 'do you have a boy, yes or no?' and they said yes, then the chances of their other child being a boy would be 1 in 3 (because 75% of the couples would have said yes, and of those, 1 in 3 (25% of total) would have a second and 2 in 3 (50% of total) would have a girl.

this is pretty much exactly the logic behind my argument.

Difficult part:
A random couple was chosen from the 100, and a random gender was told to me.
Say we ran this test 100 times, and each couple was chosen once. For the 25 couples with 2 girls, I'd be told one was a girl. For the 25 with 2 boys I'd be told one was a boy. For the 50 couple with one of each, 25 times I'd be told one was a girl and 25 times I'd be told one was a boy.
So on 50 occasions I'd be told one was a boy. In 25 of those cases, the other would be a girl, and in 25 of those case one would be a boy.

It's 50%!

This logic I do not follow. Sorry.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A man has two coins. He decides to spin both.

Question
"What is probability of both landing on heads"
Answer
25%. Only one of four possible outcomes is heads/heads.
Yep, but that's not the question. The question is, if I told you one was heads, what is the possibility both are, and it's 50%. Not straight forward, I grant you, but it is. The question is, why did I tell you one was heads? A lot of the time I could have said one is tails, but when both are heads I had to tell you one was heads. It would be very different if you had chosen to ask me if one was heads, and I had said yes - then it would be 1 in 3 of them both being heads, but that's not what happened, I volunteered the information, and you're not taking into account the fact I could have said one was tails.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I think it matters. This is why.

Easy part 1:
Let's consider 100 couples have a baby. Half have a boy, half have a girl.
Now let's consider they all have a second baby, half having a boy, half a girl.

Hopefully most of us would agree that 25% have 2 boys, 25% have 2 girls, and 50% have one of each.

Easy part 2:
If I walked up to a random couple and said 'do you have a boy, yes or no?' and they said yes, then the chances of their other child being a boy would be 1 in 3 (because 75% of the couples would have said yes, and of those, 1 in 3 (25% of total) would have a second and 2 in 3 (50% of total) would have a girl.

But the point is, I didn't find out by walking up to one of the couples and asking a specific question. That's not what happened, so I can't make the same deductions.
But this is really obviously completely irrelevant to the original question. Nobody said anything about the man coming from a perfectly distributed sample of 100 couples.

FWIW, if there was any "trick" to this it was to suck in the "1/3" sophists. It simply is not justifiable on any reading of the actual question and is therefore a completely wrong answer.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
But in the original question we don't know the answer to either. We know that one is a boy, but not which one. Most are choosing to read it as 'there is a boy, what is the probability of THE OTHER being a boy', which is absolutely 50%. However the question doesn't say that. It says at least one is a boy. Either could be that one, which is why you can't 'combine' the two possible b+g outcomes.

"It says at least one is a boy" where does it say that ?..am I missing part of original statement.... "A man has two children. One of them is a boy". is what I have....

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Nobody said anything about the man coming from a perfectly distributed sample of 100 couples.
But we're going with the basic understanding that about 50% of children are boys, and 50% girls, from a sample of several billion.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Let's run with this.

Do you think (in general, rather than within the confines of this question), there is the SAME probability of a two-child family having two boys, as there is they'll end up with one of each?
I believe there is a 25% chance of two boys and a 50% chance of one of each. Is that right?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We did something similar in stats at uni - there's a bag with 3 coins in. One is 2 white sides, one has 2 black sides, and the other has 1 white side and 1 black side. You pull one out and one side is black - what's the probability of the other side being black?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
But we're going with the basic understanding that about 50% of children are boys, and 50% girls, from a sample of several billion.
Obviously, but how do the 100 couples come into it?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I believe there is a 25% chance of two boys and a 50% chance of one of each. Is that right?
Yes.

Obviously, but how do the 100 couples come into it?
That was just a way of making a number to help people think about the problem.

For HKFC:

We could make it 4 couples if you like. One has 2 boys, one has 2 girls, two couples have one of each.

You ask a random couple to tell you the gender of one of their children. The couple says they have a boy.

There is a 50% chance their second child is also a boy.

If you ran the same test 4 times, on average 2 times the couple you chose would have said 'boy' and 2 times the couple you chose would say 'girl'.
Of the 2 times that the couple said 'boy', 1 time they would also have a girl, 1 time they would have 2 boys.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We did something similar in stats at uni - there's a bag with 3 coins in. One is 2 white sides, one has 2 black sides, and the other has 1 white side and 1 black side. You pull one out and one side is black - what's the probability of the other side being black?

2 in 3. You've pulled out your black side. There is no probability involved in that - its happened. There are three possible coin faces you could be looking at. Two of them (the two sides of the B/B coin) have black on the reverse. the other (the black side of the B/W coin) does not.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
It just isn't though, however much you bang your mallet.
"One is a boy" is ambigious. It can mean "Only one" or "at least one".

How about I say "You know what? I think Bobby will get one this weekend." Now suppose we win 3-0 with a BZ hatrick. Would you really claim I had been wrong? Fact is, he had got one, and then another and then another.

Nothing ambiguous ..." two children, One is a boy" if true other child cannot be boy

If you say BZ will get one this weekend and he gets three you are wrong(fact).........however I believe you mean at least one which of course is different..

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
For HKFC:

We could make it 4 couples if you like. One has 2 boys, one has 2 girls, two couples have one of each.

You ask a random couple to tell you the gender of one of their children. The couple says they have a boy.

There is a 50% chance their second child is also a boy.

Thank you for this. Might I run with it..?

Here are your 4 couples:

Couple 1: boy boy
Couple 2: boy girl
Couple 3: girl boy
Couple 4: girl girl

As per your experiment, I ask a random couple for the sex of one of their children, and they reply 'boy'. This is YOUR example. Because of this answer, couple 4 are now irrelevant. We can only be left with:

So if couple 1 where the respondents, the answer is that the other child is a boy. For couple 2 it is a girl. For couple 3 it is a girl.

Only 1 in 3 of the couples in YOUR example (of those with at least one boy, as per the original question) have a second boy.

:thumbsup:

(and yes, I DO understand your logic that only half of the b/g couples may have answered 'b' - I just don't take that same premise from the original question)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Difficult part:
A random couple was chosen from the 100, and a random gender was told to me.
Say we ran this test 100 times, and each couple was chosen once. For the 25 couples with 2 girls, I'd be told one was a girl. For the 25 with 2 boys I'd be told one was a boy. For the 50 couple with one of each, 25 times I'd be told one was a girl and 25 times I'd be told one was a boy.
So on 50 occasions I'd be told one was a boy. In 25 of those cases, the other would be a girl, and in 25 of those case one would be a boy.

It's 50%!

Can you explain why you don't follow it - which is the first sentence that you don't agree with/follow?

EDIT - ignore this, I'll reply to your other post

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Thank you for this. Might I run with it..?
Be my guest.

Here are your 4 couples:

Couple 4: girl girl

As per your experiment, I ask a random couple for the sex of one of their children, and they reply 'boy'. This is YOUR example.
Yep.

Because of this answer, couple 4 are now irrelevant.
Well we can pretend the other couple didn't exist, it would be the same.
We can only be left with:

So if couple 1 where the respondents, the answer is that the other child is a boy. For couple 2 it is a girl. For couple 3 it is a girl.

Only 1 in 3 of the couples in YOUR example (of those with at least one boy, as per the original question) have a second boy.

:thumbsup:
This is where you are wrong.

Why did couple 2 tell me they had a boy, why didn't they say they had a girl.
Same goes for couple 3.

On average, one of those couples would have said they had a girl, so we'd be left with 2 couples, one having 2 boys and one having 1 of each.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Be my guest.

Yep.

Well we can pretend the other couple didn't exist, it would be the same.
This is where you are wrong.

Why did couple 2 tell me they had a boy, why didn't they say they had a girl.
Same goes for couple 3.

On average, one of those couples would have said they had a girl, so we'd be left with 2 couples, one having 2 boys and one having 1 of each.

As per my reply above, I do NOT believe that is a premise / scenario you can take from the original question'. This was simply presented to us as fact, that (at least) one child was a boy. It is a fair assumption from that to calculate your probability based on all families that meet this criteria.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here