Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] A list of everything that's wrong and who is to blame

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Said many times I’m sorry if it upsets a few but it’s true until we pay next level wages this is what you get choices haves to be made . You can polish a turd all day long but at the end of the day it’s still a turd . What exactly did Wellbeck achieve at Watford ? , you pay peanuts in prem terms ? Club need to ask themselves and explain some tough questions the pandemic has effected Everyone financially

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
I'm guessing its God or some ugly, weird space rock buried beneath the city of Brighton and tracing the team wherever they go. Those are the two most plausible theories currenty, but I guess you cant rule out some kind of occult sect burning goats to keep the team from winning the games it should win, or maybe life is some type of simulation made to **** over anyone wearing a Brighton emblem. I dont know. I dont know. We can and will discuss this for a 100 pages and there will be nothing even closely resembling a consensus. Until we find a more intelligent life form somewhere in universe, there will be no answer.

I think you're close. The discussion in my household is that a grave must have been exhumed in Falmer village and it has released an ancient curse......

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I'm guessing its God or some ugly, weird space rock buried beneath the city of Brighton and tracing the team wherever they go. Those are the two most plausible theories currenty, but I guess you cant rule out some kind of occult sect burning goats to keep the team from winning the games it should win, or maybe life is some type of simulation made to **** over anyone wearing a Brighton emblem. I dont know. I dont know. We can and will discuss this for a 100 pages and there will be nothing even closely resembling a consensus. Until we find a more intelligent life form somewhere in universe, there will be no answer.

I’m not a fan of your conspiracy theories but these ones, I’ll sign up to.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The problems, since Palace, have been well discussed on here. Today exposed even more. They say never play the blame game but I'm afraid it's time to, before we end up nice-passing our way to the Championship where we will have 90% possession and 40 shots a game and still not go back up. Whose fault are these? Recruitment? Coaching? Players? A.N. Other?

1) We have no penalty taker. Not one. At least CH always had a penalty taker. We seem not to have one in the squad let alone the starting XI.

You need a player with balls to take pens. Groß is normally very good and I clearly our No.1 but even he has succumbed to this horrific disease of missing.

2) We have no one who can hit a good free kick from around the box except Dunk, and he can only do it if allowed to take early. How many goals is Ward Prowse worth? Again CH knew the value of a set piece taker.

These players are few and far between at the top level. I agree that we should pick one player and put all our stock in their basket. Mac Allister is the man for me. We chop and change too much.

3) We still cannot defend set pieces against big sides.

You could see the opportunity today with the Sun blazing in our defensive eyes. Dunk makes another I’ll judged decision not to Sky himself and the obvious happens. We were untroubled without the Sun as we have been since Wolves.

4) Connolly - not good enough. Should have been loaned.

Agree. Too much too soon for the lad.

5) No left back in the whole squad. Burn is not a left back.

Agree. Burn is useful for certain situations but we need someone of the quality of Wayne Bridge to put on steady performances.

6) Still taking the poor percentage shots from the wrong place. But maybe because.....

This goes against a central but wrong pillar of Potter Out Campaign rhetoric that we overplay and try and pass the ball into the net. We generally don’t overplay, We just don’t have the quality when it comes down to shooting, I don’t think it’s a case of ‘when we shoot’ more likely ‘how we shoot’.

7) There isn't a player in the side who could finish a boiled egg.

I have no argument with this. Every player is convinced we can’t score as are the referees who blow up even if we get it in the net, confident that it really couldn’t have happened legally.

8) Performances prioritised over points. The definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

I’m happy about this. Change the philosophy now and we’ll become the quivering wreak of our side that we were at the end of Hughton’s era, camped in our penalty area taking big beatings off the likes of Bournemouth & Cardiff and not looking like scoring ever through a lack of creating any chances whatsoever.

9) Absolutely rotten luck. Terrible refereeing decisions almost constantly, both wingbacks out long term injured, a fixture list order that really doesn't suit us.

Agree.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
The problems, since Palace, have been well discussed on here. Today exposed even more. They say never play the blame game but I'm afraid it's time to, before we end up nice-passing our way to the Championship where we will have 90% possession and 40 shots a game and still not go back up. Whose fault are these? Recruitment? Coaching? Players? A.N. Other?

1) We have no penalty taker. Not one. At least CH always had a penalty taker. We seem not to have one in the squad let alone the starting XI. - Gross, Murray, Hemed all missed penalties under Hughton and had duties taken away from them
2) We have no one who can hit a good free kick from around the box except Dunk, and he can only do it if allowed to take early. How many goals is Ward Prowse worth? Again CH knew the value of a set piece taker.
- MacAllister, Gross and March can all take free kicks. Just a shame March is injured
3) We still cannot defend set pieces against big sides - we’re not the only ones. Lacking Webster doesn’t help
4) Connolly - not good enough. Should have been loaned. - in your opinion. He was unlucky to get injured during his best game of the season (Wolves). We don’t have other options, why would you loan him. Remember he’s 20 years old
5) No left back in the whole squad. Burn is not a left back. - he frustrates me too but he did nothing wrong today. Karbo and March will be in place for next season
6) Still taking the poor percentage shots from the wrong place. - agreed but not so much today. It really does appear to be a crisis in confidence. You can’t get much better than 12 yards out with just the keeper to beat. No easy fix
7) There isn't a player in the side who could finish a boiled egg - there isn’t on the bench either. No easy fix. They are better in front of goal than performances suggest, it has to be down to collective confidence
8) Performances prioritised over points. The definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result - the performances are creating the chances, we’re just not taking them. No magic wand for that
9) Absolutely rotten luck. Terrible refereeing decisions almost constantly, both wingbacks out long term injured, a fixture list order that really doesn't suit us. - think we just need to be patient. It will come

The biggest problem for me is the performances are raising expectation, both with the media and the fans and media. Suddenly everyone expects us to hammer Palace 5-0 and coast to an easy victory away at West Brom. I’m really not sure why. We have a small budget and as a result, limited players. We’re currently 16th and that would do just fine, allowing us to address some issues in the summer..

Last edited:

Feb 3, 2013
Three big issues for me today ... apart from an inability to score from penalties:
1. Too many overhit passes .... again.
2. Too many passes into touch ... again.
3. Too many passes straight to an opposition player.

This is surely basic stuff which can be corrected by good coaching?

You must be the only one who thinks these are our big issues.

...Unless you’re trying to be ironic.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
This is the only list you need:

1. We need a decent striker.

Saves me writing the same thing. None of our front 3 today (Maupay, Connolly, Tross) any good at finishing. We needed two new front line players - an out and out #9 (which maupay is not), and another wide front player who scored goals. That was true last summer and is still true now. Simply not enough pace or goals in the side

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
For a man who has made it his life's work to play the numbers, TB seems completely oblivious to the club's narrative around xG. BHAFC are the club that validate the theory, we test the algorithm perfectly. The writing has been on the wall for a very very very long time.

Why do we get excited about Lamptey getting back, when service & creativity is clearly not a problem. 1 goal from 65 shots.

Our forwards cannot score goals.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
"8) Performances prioritised over points. The definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result"

In almost every post-match interview, Potter says "we'll take the positives and learn the lessons." - yet what lessons does he ever learn?

We display the same deficiencies, errors and weaknesses in virtually every game.
No. We learned from Sheff Utd. We created much more against Palace and West Brom who also operated a low block. Up until this game, we also learned to deal with set pieces better.
Now we need to learn how to take penalties.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Potter is somewhat restricted with the tools he has upfront. I would say that is a recruitment failure/disaster. No chance to put that right now and 5 gls in 9 games is rather damning. Unless our shot shy misfiring strikers and midfielders take up the baton we will be welcoming Millwall and the like next season

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Why does someone need to be to blame? I’ve seen the Albion 45 minutes from no league football, it will get get better,it may get worse, why do JCLs always have to have someone to blame?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Potter is somewhat restricted with the tools he has upfront. I would say that is a recruitment failure/disaster. No chance to put that right now and 5 gls in 9 games is rather damning. Unless our shot shy misfiring strikers and midfielders take up the baton we will be welcoming Millwall and the like next season

Even if we stay up, we’ll go through the same next season with the strikers we have and we won’t be buying better ones :down:

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Think of all the penalties he'll get us! :moo:

Pace, pace and pace. If only we had a forward with Lamptey's pace. So disappointed that we did not play Zaquiri as I would guess he's next fastest, and he must be thinking what the hell he has to do to get on. What ever happens the club need to look at Lallana and Welbeck's value overall. ( and yes I know Adam got us the penalty today) as over the season I'm convinced their combined wages could do be used better.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

He fully agreed with the restrictions when he towed the club line and stated he was happy with the squad before the window closed

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Why does someone need to be to blame? I’ve seen the Albion 45 minutes from no league football, it will get get better,it may get worse, why do JCLs always have to have someone to blame?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We had Archer to blame though:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here