Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A day out in Wycombe

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Today was like turning the clock back 7 years or so. Albion fans are remarkable, if only we got to discover this under happier circumstances.

Left home just before 10 and popped into the office to run off some fliers. Sod's law disctated that the printer got upset about 200 sheets in and was telling me to unjam the duplex unit. I for there in the end, mainly due to the fear of an early arriving colleague on Monday morning fixing the printer and getting 100 "We Want Falmer" prints.

The drive was fine, and we soon arrived in Wycombe. Pulled into the car park of The Hourglass and checked that Albion fans were welcome. They were, so we drove close to the ground, deocrated the car, and headed back for a beer.

The Hourglass had a great atmosphere to it and was soon swarming with NSC and Brightonfans.com revellers. It was good to meet many faces both old and new. I guess the big surprise was Edna who turned out to be a long way from middle-aged. Not a surprise was Artois utilising the old "I've left my wallet in the van when it was his turn to patronise the bar."

A few Albion songs were sung and with the pub at bursting point we made our excuses (fliers to hand out) and left.

Outside the ground was another NSC-fest. With several hundred leaflets to hand out, I got straight into things by standing around chatting whilst Rusco palmed off "We Want Falmer" fliers to both Albion and Wycombe fans alike.

Before long we were in the ground and the 22 gladiators took to the pitch. The match is instantly forgettable - I am told big Trev utilised a cheeky backheel to put us one up. I confess to having no idea as to this, and Sky Sports News seem to have missed it too.

With the first half all but over, Nathan Tyson rammed the "Reading reject" chants down our throats as he beat our offside trap (as confirmed by Sky Sports replay) and calmly finished. What a great time to score. What a bad time to concede.

Half-time entertainment came courtesy of the smallest goalkeeper in the world ever. "England's number one" put in a great performance and he's one to keep an eye on.

The second half was dire, their 'keeper did not have a single save to make, unlike Ben Roberts' replacement who was kept busy.

Rewind - the second half was not dire. Entertainment was provided in the form of a humble megaphone, nicked from a steward and passed around the Albion faithful whenever a resue mission was attempted. It was also used to lead a few songs and I've not laughed so much at a game for a long time.

The game ended and the real stuff began. A surprising number of Albion fans exited stage right. Did they not know or did they have somewhere to go? No matter, most remained and it was an emotion charged 20 minutes or so. No-one sat and it was not particularly silent. The players emerged and what was a good-natured occasion could have turned sour as the stewards bizarrely attempted to keep the Albion players off the pitch. The highlight of the subsequent resistance came when Charlie all but walked straight through a protesting steward.

A quick burn back up the M4 and that was one great day out. As above though, I wish it had happened for the right reasons. Maybe it was though - we just don't know it yet.

I'll attach some piccies.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The Bozza-mobile joins in.

Attachments

• pictures 001.jpg
    pictures 001.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 880

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
An NSC love-in almost goes wrong when the camera is spotted.

Attachments

• pictures 005.jpg
    pictures 005.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 827

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This banner was great. Unfortunately you can't see that because I took the photo too late.

Attachments

• pictures 007.jpg
    pictures 007.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 795

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The Albion waste time from before the first whistle using the old 'huddle' excuse. The referee is having none of it.

Attachments

• pictures 014.jpg
    pictures 014.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 765

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
England's No.1 in action. Sign him up!

Attachments

• pictures 018.jpg
    pictures 018.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 744

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Exclusive first shot of dwayne's face.

Attachments

• pictures 019.jpg
    pictures 019.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 745

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I am a top sports photographer in my spare time. Honest.

Attachments

• pictures 021.jpg
    pictures 021.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 731

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The Albion fans in the other bit. You know. The people to our left.

Attachments

• pictures 027.jpg
    pictures 027.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 718

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here