[TV] A Cow's Life: The True Cost of Milk? - Panorama

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Carrots don't have a central nervous system or a brain to process pain or other feelings. You've already shown yourself to be a moron there bud.

Also if you want to save plants then the best way to do it is to become vegan as less plants are grown to feed a human than to feed animals for slaughter each year.
But what if I want to save all plants, not just a few?

Oh, and by the way, is there a "tongue in cheek" emoji? I think perhaps it's needed. For the record, my remark about baby carrots being uprooted before they had had chance to live a fulfilled life, was not meant to be taken seriously.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Interesting reading peoples opinions on meat production. Do you have save opinions on fish or is that ok

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
But what if I want to save all plants, not just a few?

Oh, and by the way, is there a "tongue in cheek" emoji? I think perhaps it's needed. For the record, my remark about baby carrots being uprooted before they had had chance to live a fulfilled life, was not meant to be taken seriously.

I don’t think the likes of AstroSloth would get ‘tongue in cheek’ or even slight humour. There is no time for such trivia in the life of a passionate, lecturing,hectoring individual such as he.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Carrots don't have a central nervous system or a brain to process pain or other feelings. You've already shown yourself to be a moron there bud.

Also if you want to save plants then the best way to do it is to become vegan as less plants are grown to feed a human than to feed animals for slaughter each year.

Where do you stand on the issue of eating oysters or other bivalves, which don't have a brain or advanced central nervous system.

I eat little in the way of meat or dairy but would struggle to go fully vegan as a I love food and cooking too much. If oysters and mussles were still on the menu, it'd make the switch a little easier.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Where do you stand on the issue of eating oysters or other bivalves, which don't have a brain or advanced central nervous system.

I eat little in the way of meat or dairy but would struggle to go fully vegan as a I love food and cooking too much. If oysters and mussles were still on the menu, it'd make the switch a little easier.

I love oysters. When I’m in Barcelona I stay by the market…and every morning I go and get 3 oysters, with a little dash of Tabasco sauce. A strong coffee and I’m ready for the day. At €8 it’s a steal as well.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I love oysters. When I’m in Barcelona I stay by the market…and every morning I go and get 3 oysters, with a little dash of Tabasco sauce. A strong coffee and I’m ready for the day. At €8 it’s a steal as well.

When I lived in Italy, I ate them all the time. Down in southern Spain they're not so easy to come by, unfortunately.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Turns out people don't like learning what actually goes on for their cup of tea in the morning.

All I did was state what happens on EVERY dairy farm. The only thing I got wrong is that if the calf is a female, they are instead raised to do exactly the same as their mother.

Absolutely not true.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Interesting reading peoples opinions on meat production. Do you have save opinions on fish or is that ok

Anyone who thinks fish is OK should watch "Seaspiracy" on Netflix....

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Anyone who thinks fish is OK should watch "Seaspiracy" on Netflix....

I was put off watching it by the reports of misleading claims and spurious stats.

When there is a serious issue with overfishing etc, I'm not sure why the makers would undermine their case with erroneous info and exaggeration. Cowspiracy, which I did watch, was the same.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
If they cared about their animals they wouldn't subject them to forced impregnation, rip those babies away from their mothers while the mothers cry out for them and then murder those babies while they're still suffering separation anxiety.

You can't be an animal farmer and care for your animals.
If you love animals and want to support farmers, eat plants. Plants are still grown by farmers in case you didn't realise.

The thing is I love meat and dairy products so I have no intention of changing my diet. This point accepted it is nonetheless, important to me that animals are treated in a humane way. For example I have some reservations about kosher and halal slaughtering methods, so if I can I avoid products from that side I will.

I am fortunate to have easy access to farm shops and workers that source different meats in particular as their difference in taste and quality is substantial. The best pork, sausages, black pudding and bacon I have ever had comes from a farm worker that keeps his own pigs.

Those pigs are treated like royalty however I recognise it’s unsustainable to treat all pigs like that when global demand for pork is so high, and is only going one way as global population heads to 10bn. That’s the point overall, it wouldn’t matter if everyone in the UK went vegan, you need to take your bandwagon to China.

Good luck.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Those pigs are treated like royalty however I recognise it’s unsustainable to treat all pigs like that when global demand for pork is so high.

Pigs are the ones that distress me the most. They are proven to be highly intelligent, feeling animals who have an almost human like stress reaction and are sensitive to stress in fellow pigs. I can only imagine what they experience at the point of slaughter, waiting to be killed. Not trying to make that sound dramarama, each to their own, but it’s important to acknowledge it. You only have to look at YouTube videos of sanctuary or rescue pigs bounding around in fields all playful and bonding canine-like with their human charges to know they are beautiful creatures inside, and if they were a bit ‘fluffier’ or ‘cuter’ there’d be outrage in this country the same way there’d be if we ate dogs.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I was put off watching it by the reports of misleading claims and spurious stats.

When there is a serious issue with overfishing etc, I'm not sure why the makers would undermine their case with erroneous info and exaggeration. Cowspiracy, which I did watch, was the same.
I don't think they faked the thousands of dolphin's having their throats slit after being penned in the bay

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I don't think they faked the thousands of dolphin's having their throats slit after being penned in the bay

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

But why not highlight atrocities such as that without undermining your argument by presenting misleading information?

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
1) You complain when the EU allegedly over-rides national sovereignty. And you spin it the other way when individual states do things off their own back. Inconsistent argument. Above all I find it bizarre that you still wet your pants over us given you have left.

2) Concession accepted.

3) I'm not saying anything, more refering you back to the crap you wrote in the cost of living thread.

4) Tense? Really? I'll accept intense :lolol: ; I'm bored with time on my hands. I am taking a day out to catch up some domestic admin which is now boring. A posting in between tasks lightens the mood. I will shortly finish up and go for a run.

1) that’s a fair point on this matter, however exposing EU rank hypocrisy (either way) is the name of the game isn’t it? In this instance the EU advocates advancing animal welfare whilst allowing its members to produce Foie Gras, in another part of the EU they advocate sanctions on Russia whilst an EU member jumps into bed with Putin permitting a sanctioned energy company to build a gas pipeline that would destroy a fellow members financial interests……..what a game eh?

2) your welcome, I know when I’m bested.

3) I disagree obviously.

4) der tueful macht arbeit fur muBige hande.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
But why not highlight atrocities such as that without undermining your argument by presenting misleading information?

I know the MSC weren't happy, but why did they hide? Why didn't they put anyone up to put their side of the story across

Generally thought it was pretty decent, some footage was deliberately shocking but sometimes you have to do this to get noticed.

The big takeaway is clearing the Ocean of fish will ultimately kill us. Then there's the question if you think eating fish is that safe anymore, esp those at the top of the food chain like Tuna

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Pigs are the ones that distress me the most. They are proven to be highly intelligent, feeling animals who have an almost human like stress reaction and are sensitive to stress in fellow pigs. I can only imagine what they experience at the point of slaughter, waiting to be killed. Not trying to make that sound dramarama, each to their own, but it’s important to acknowledge it. You only have to look at YouTube videos of sanctuary or rescue pigs bounding around in fields all playful and bonding canine-like with their human charges to know they are beautiful creatures inside, and if they were a bit ‘fluffier’ or ‘cuter’ there’d be outrage in this country the same way there’d be if we ate dogs.

I understand that and broadly agree. The fella I am referring to keeps them and slaughters them himself without the need for them to travel anywhere which is in my view the best possible approach.

I fully accept this cannot be the case in the vast majority of slaughtering and councils should do their job in regulating them appropriately. To be honest I am not sure I could cope with a pork free world…..

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
If they cared about their animals they wouldn't subject them to forced impregnation, rip those babies away from their mothers while the mothers cry out for them and then murder those babies while they're still suffering separation anxiety.

You can't be an animal farmer and care for your animals.
If you love animals and want to support farmers, eat plants. Plants are still grown by farmers in case you didn't realise.

Oh dear I wondered when the common vegan trope of referring to cows as mothers, calves as babies and throwing in the murder reference for good measure would make an appearance. It's an attempt to humanise cattle which are a food resource and bred entirely for that purpose. I'm surprised you didn't allege that the farmers rape the cows In order to make them pregnant.

Impregnation of cows is not a nasty business its necessary in order to produce new cattle, the cows are in estrus and essentially ready to be pregnant, allowing a bull in their to do it naturally is actually quite dangerous for the cows. The calves are eventually taken from the cows not ripped and I don't imagine they have to provide boxes of cow sized kleenex for all your poor crying mother cows. Separation anxiety is a human condition that you've also transferred to these cows.

Your simplistic advice to just eat plants doesn't work either

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
It literally isn't opinions though is it. What I've stated are facts. People just don't like being told what happens on dairy farms as it removes their ignorance.

I'm fully aware of what happens on a dairy farm, they are NOT all the same and many have very high standards of animal welfare and husbandry. Its an industry with cattle as resources, that neither bothers me nor outrages me, I get that people like you don't like that and feel strongly about it and want it to stop but I am equally committed to ensure that farmers are allowed to go about their lawful business and produce the foods we need and want. Vegans most common tactic is to try and shame others into giving up animal products, it rarely works and in fact it often has the opposite effect. I certainly won't be giving up meat and dairy anytime soon and neither do I believe Vegans are having any particularly great positive impact on the environment eating products that are heavily processed and presented as meat in name and appearance , explain that?!?!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I know the MSC weren't happy, but why did they hide? Why didn't they put anyone up to put their side of the story across

Generally thought it was pretty decent, some footage was deliberately shocking but sometimes you have to do this to get noticed.

The big takeaway is clearing the Ocean of fish will ultimately kill us. Then there's the question if you think eating fish is that safe anymore, esp those at the top of the food chain like Tuna

It's not just the MSC that weren't happy. Search Seaspiracy fact check and you'll find several issues. Shocking footage is one thing but staged scenes, highly questionable "facts" and misleading interviewes do more harm than good. I gave Cowspiracy a go, and I'm sympathetic to veganism, but I'll give another dose of propaganda a swerve.

If someone wants to make a serious film looking at the issues, I'm in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports