Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] A bit of good news - albeit personal. The moral - never give up.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Sadly the Medical profession seems to have issues. I did a presentation years ago to a Day Meeting of the Faculty of Occupational Medicine about what I do for a living (Occupational Hygiene).

The subsequent presentation (from a Doctor) was about was about the amount of self medication, addiction, self harm and in some cases suicide amongst Medical Professionals.
Absolutely this. The number of different strands of support - official and unofficial - that are available is eye-opening.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
My son, now 23, has suffered from depression and anxiety for 5-6 years. It has been quite a journey, with some dark days. But he is now off the Sertraline - it was his decision, as he thought, quite correctly, that it wasn't actually helping him.

This week, he went for a trial for a job (his first job ever), and has kind of fallen into it. The trial turned into a full shift, and when he got home, he had a huge smile on his face, something that I had forgotten he was capable of. Today, he has completed another shift. I know he has every intention of sticking at it. He has discovered motivation. He is motivated to keep his new employer happy, and understands the value it will be on his CV. It is still early days of course, and there will be setbacks. I am used to them.

I just thought I would share this with you all. Partly to share the utter relief after years of worry. But also to offer a message of hope to those of you who suffer from mental health issues. Things do change, and sometimes they do get better. We, his parents, never gave up on him, despite being advised to throw him out by another family member.

Tonight, I think....I think.....he is going to be OK. My task is to reacquaint myself with, or perhaps get to know, the articulate, intelligent, astute young man that I didn't know was in there.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this.
Really great news Eric, its about small steps but most importantly in the right direction.

Your Sertraline story certainly struck a chord, I‘m not for one minute suggesting it doesn’t work for some people or that sections of the medical profession are in ‘bed’ with the drug producers, but it does seem to be almost the ‘go to’ prescription when anyone encounters the first stages of mental health issues.

Whilst it’s there in the box, because of the way the person is feeling, I doubt not many read the leaflet re side effects, when you do, you all but shit yourself, but by then you’ve almost been ‘convinced’ that this is your only option.

It isn’t, and all power and credit to your lad for wanting to come off them, hope things continue to go in this positive direction, and you can all look forward to an AD free Xmas for the first time in years 👍

Take care old boy ,

Harty x

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
My son, now 23, has suffered from depression and anxiety for 5-6 years. It has been quite a journey, with some dark days. But he is now off the Sertraline - it was his decision, as he thought, quite correctly, that it wasn't actually helping him.

This week, he went for a trial for a job (his first job ever), and has kind of fallen into it. The trial turned into a full shift, and when he got home, he had a huge smile on his face, something that I had forgotten he was capable of. Today, he has completed another shift. I know he has every intention of sticking at it. He has discovered motivation. He is motivated to keep his new employer happy, and understands the value it will be on his CV. It is still early days of course, and there will be setbacks. I am used to them.

I just thought I would share this with you all. Partly to share the utter relief after years of worry. But also to offer a message of hope to those of you who suffer from mental health issues. Things do change, and sometimes they do get better. We, his parents, never gave up on him, despite being advised to throw him out by another family member.

Tonight, I think....I think.....he is going to be OK. My task is to reacquaint myself with, or perhaps get to know, the articulate, intelligent, astute young man that I didn't know was in there.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this.
Top post fella. A story I’m sure all of NSC can get behind. We’ll done to you & your boy.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Thank you to everyone for your replies, thumbs up and good wishes. They are very much appreciated.
May I add to those who have thanked you for posting. Nothing like a bit of inspiration. It may please you to know that there are lots of people who don't know you or your son who are wishing him all the best :thumbsup:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Thank you for your comment, and I'm so sorry for the loss of your best mate.

It sounds like your daughter is on the path to recovery. I can relate to your fear, but our fear of suicide has been replaced with wondering what will happen next. Our experience with our son has been one long process of learning. What we have discovered is the mental health services within the NHS are fragmented and don't really talk to each other. So when we have used one service, had an unsatisfactory result, and want to try another, we have to start again. They are all under pressure due to demand of course, and so seek to get patients off their books asap. You can understand it from their perspective, in that they need to focus on those patients who want to be helped, i.e. where they are most likely to get a result. But this doesn't help people, especially young people like my son, who are depressed and don't turn up for appointments and don't let them know. Signing him off because he failed to make an appointment is just another rejection to him.

However, one service stood out head and shoulders above the rest.

They run courses from St. Peters church.

The best of luck to you and your daughter. Perhaps it is just time, changing circumstances, talking, and a safe and stable home environment that are the best therapy.
Thanks. Wish you and your family all the best for 2023.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here