Votes: 15 53.6%
  • I would lay my bet off but in a different way - explain

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Are all those people who are advocating laying off the bet going to put their money where their mouth is and bet on a SA win?

i will still put a small wager on England to win, because the cocky South Africans will think they just need to turn up like the Aussies did. But i would bet £200 on that.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
England were 80/1 after the S A defeat

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Just lay some of it. You can guarantee a nice profit still, then enjoy the game. I think you'll get slightly better odds nearer the day though. The bookmakers will need to cover themselves when everyone goes bet crazy on England towards the weekend

Silver flying chariot

Aug 5, 2003
England were 80/1 after the S A defeat

They have been matched at 279-1 on betfair for £8!!! They were also 79-1 before the australia game to win the world cup! wished I had got on at that price for a tenner. Anyone who bets on anything apart from betfair is crazy. The prices are ALWAYS better!

someone wanted to risk losing 2232 to win £8!!!!!!!Bet they are starting to get a bit nervous now!

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
The odds don't lie. There is no doubt that England could win and land you the big wonga, but the simple truth is that a SA win is about twice as likely, which leaves you with nothing despite you having kept faith with England when hardly anyone else did.

The sensible strategy according to the odds would be to lay off to the extent that you get twice as much for a SA win as you do for an England one. Hard to do when there's emotion involved too though. If it was me, I'd just even things up a little, so there's enough for a few rounds of drinks on England whatever happens in the match.

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
I'd suggest the absolute minimum is to lay it off so you don't lose anything.
2nd recommendation is to lay it so you guarantee yourself £100 if South Africa win. No matter what happens, £100 in your pocket. If we win, you can spend the extra celebrating.

Good luck.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports