Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

90 minutes From glory

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Of course it has changed. Beat Derby we only need a point at Middlesbrough. Goal difference no longer matters.

I agree howwwwever if we add burnley then goal difference could still matter, eg big win v derby, lose at boro and burnley win one, lose one. Need more beers

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Let me explain one more time just in case some of you don't get it
If we beat Boro we are promoted, so once again without your soppy permutations we're 90 mins from glory
Of course it would be great to beat Derby and only need a draw at Boro, but we're 90 mins from Automatic promotion

I totally understand what you're saying.
But my point is that Derby does matter, because the likelihood of us winning at the Riverside is considerably greater if we continue the winning run convincingly against the Rams.
If we don't, never mind 90 minutes from glory, we'll be more likely 90 minutes from the play-offs.
(Could still be glory there, of course, but harder if we get edged out of the top 2).
90 minutes noise on Monday is ESSENTIAL :albion:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
That has been the situation for a couple of weeks nothing has changed. If we lose at Boro we could still go up but most probably play Wednesday in the play offs.

Before tonight. The only guaranteed promotion scenario (regardless of results) was
WW

After tonight its now...
WW
WD
DW
LW

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I've just said on FB that we still need to go to Boro and get a result.

Boro are still a good side and next Saturday isn't going to be easy a win on Monday will ease the pressure, preferably by more three goals.

Enjoy the ride this sort of thing doesn't happen that often.

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
I've just said on FB that we still need to go to Boro and get a result.

Boro are still a good side and next Saturday isn't going to be easy a win on Monday will ease the pressure, preferably by more three goals.

Enjoy the ride this sort of thing doesn't happen that often.
Why by the three goals on Monday?
Don't get me wrong a win is more preferable than a draw which is more preferable than a defeat.

Goal difference or goals scored is unlikely to be the decisive factor now.

A win on Monday puts us 2pts clear of Boro and means a draw and we are up
A draw on Monday puts us level on pts with an inferior GD so have to win to go up
A defeat on Monday means we are 1pt behind and so we have to win to go up

Goal difference (and GS) may only be crucial if we are competing with Burnley which is again unlikely (I think)

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Goal difference is now irrelevant? Or am I wrong? If we improve our GD then we have won, so just need to draw our last game.

If our results go DD, then Boro will finish above us on goal difference. Burnley would need DL LD or LL to finish below us (unlikely) so goal difference is still important. Goal difference will also decide the Championship title in my opinion.

If we beat Derby, then as far as automatic promotion goes goal difference is irrelevant.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I totally understand what you're saying.
But my point is that Derby does matter, because the likelihood of us winning at the Riverside is considerably greater if we continue the winning run convincingly against the Rams.
If we don't, never mind 90 minutes from glory, we'll be more likely 90 minutes from the play-offs.

Sorry, but thats utter bollocks.

We are equally as capable of getting a win at the Riverside even if we get turned over by Derby. We don't need momentum, we have that already. We've had it since we got over that rocky mid-season run. That team has BELIEF. If there is one thing this whole season has proved, its that anyone can beat anyone on their day. And I know for a FACT that this team of ours, even if they get beat on Monday, would not go to the Riverside cowed by a defeat. They'd go there with every intention of winning. Of doing exactly what they've been doing up and down the country for the last 10 months.

Obviously a win v Derby puts us in the box seat now, and thats exactly what we'll be going all out for. But if it doesn't go our way, then I will not be in the least bit surprised now to see us go up there and do them. DO them. I believe this team has it in them.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Goal difference is now irrelevant? Or am I wrong? If we improve our GD then we have won, so just need to draw our last game.

Difficult now to come up with a scenario where goal difference will be the crucial difference. Basically, the winner of 'Boro vs. Us will get automatic promotion. Along with Burnley.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Doesn't matter about Derby result
If we beat Boro were promoted We're up
That's why the title thread says 90 mins from glory

Of course Derby matters, we are not guaranteed a win at 'Boro are we.
Where does this sort of thinking come from.
The season is over in 2 x games time, not one.
We want to win both to be assured and isn't the prize money a lot more for 1st rather than 2nd.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Sorry, but thats utter bollocks.

We are equally as capable of getting a win at the Riverside even if we get turned over by Derby. We don't need momentum, we have that already. We've had it since we got over that rocky mid-season run. That team has BELIEF. If there is one thing this whole season has proved, its that anyone can beat anyone on their day. And I know for a FACT that this team of ours, even if they get beat on Monday, would not go to the Riverside cowed by a defeat. They'd go there with every intention of winning. Of doing exactly what they've been doing up and down the country for the last 10 months.

Obviously a win v Derby puts us in the box seat now, and thats exactly what we'll be going all out for. But if it doesn't go our way, then I will not be in the least bit surprised now to see us go up there and do them. DO them. I believe this team has it in them.

I respect your passion and your opinion, Easy, and I entirely agree about the character and calibre of this team of ours. I didn't even suggest losing to Derby would leave them 'cowed' - simply that continuing our superb run in convincing style is the best possible preparation for going to Boro and beating them. That's why I disagreed with the OP that Monday's game is effectively irrelevant. This race is so tight, anything that gives us an edge DOES matter.

Our squad has developed an aura of invincibility, but they're still human [emoji846]

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Of course the Derby result matters. If we beat them convincingly, the momentum continues and the squad head for the Riverside full of confidence that we can get the necessary result.
If we get tonked, the task becomes a bigger ask.
Yes, a win will do it, but much easier on the back of another convincing performance and three points.

Completely this. Focus on Derby, forget about Boro until Tuesday. Maintain momentum.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Of course Derby matters, we are not guaranteed a win at 'Boro are we.
Where does this sort of thinking come from.
The season is over in 2 x games time, not one.
We want to win both to be assured and isn't the prize money a lot more for 1st rather than 2nd.

This. I cannot understand the thinking of some people. If we need to win at Boro then we MUST score against the meanest defence in the league on their patch. If we only need a draw then we can still be promoted with a 0-0. People saying that Derby is a free game to lose are barmy in my view. Thankfully I am sure CH is of the view that we need to win V Derby and keep the momentum going.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Why by the three goals on Monday?
Don't get me wrong a win is more preferable than a draw which is more preferable than a defeat.

Goal difference or goals scored is unlikely to be the decisive factor now.

A win on Monday puts us 2pts clear of Boro and means a draw and we are up
A draw on Monday puts us level on pts with an inferior GD so have to win to go up
A defeat on Monday means we are 1pt behind and so we have to win to go up

Goal difference (and GS) may only be crucial if we are competing with Burnley which is again unlikely (I think)

You are right, after posting last night I did an excel spreadsheet and goal difference won't come into play if we beat Derby, I stand corrected. I was getting carried away in my excitement.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
So many permutations, so little time.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here