Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

9 Games Left - Loan Striker?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
What a strange thread (I'll admit I gave up after six pages), but just to chuck into the mix:

• We only need to (potentially) score one goal in a game (as per last night)
• We've already GOT a loan striker in. He scored last night
• What happens if Muzza shows up and a) disrupts the form we've currently got going on or b) doesn't score?
• Last season just grabbing loan strikers didn't work - what's the guarantee that GM WILL work?
• What's the problem with sticking with what we've got? Hemed, Wilson, Baldock and Zamora are all capable of scoring goals. Then there's Jiri, who I'm sure will play his part – not to mention Murphy, LuaLua, Stephens, Kayal, etc, etc, etc.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Yes. Hence the opinion. Remember his first year? "Oh I'm homesick". Wandering around the pitch like he didn't want to be there. Then he improved greatly when his contract was running out.

No. We're not.

I think its fair to say Glenn is pretty settled on the south coast now wouldnt you ?
And as for being a disruptive influence or not trying... i dont see either of those.
I see someone who desperately wants to win and tried his heart out 100% to score the goals that got us promoted even though he knew he was leaving..

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Yes. Hence the opinion. Remember his first year? "Oh I'm homesick". Wandering around the pitch like he didn't want to be there. Then he improved greatly when his contract was running out.

No. We're not.

Hmmmmm you say that with some conviction i see and wheres your cock sure info from then that we aren't ???? Or is this just like you normally do and just disagree because you get a kick out of it

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That's because certain managers have decided to blow a lot of money or one or two strikers, and play them for as much as possible -- let's call those Burnley, Boro, Fulham, etc.
Other managers have chosen to get a range of strikers and rotate them, or use them dependent on circumstances, whilst also trying to get others (especially wingers) to chip in -- let's call those Brighton, Hull, etc
As for Derby, well, who can argue with the Derby Way?
You have forgotten the other option - blow a lot of money on another striker, then cause dissatisfaction all round by only playing one up top, then cause further discontent by switching to 442 and losing and finally losing the dressing room altogether..........

No names, no pack-drill, of course!

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Hmmmmm you say that with some conviction i see and wheres your cock sure info from then that we aren't ???? Or is this just like you normally do and just disagree because you get a kick out of it

Err. I've been saying he wasn't coming back since the rumours began in November.
Have I been proven wrong yet, oh arsey one?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Sticks and stones - shame about the name calling.

I still don't understand why you don't appreciate that football is a team game and unlike Netball anyone can score.

Of course I appreciate that football is a team game. However, call me old-fashioned, but I still believe a striker's PRIMARY role is to score. As an example, Sam B brings a great deal to the team, but his goal-scoring at our level is poor. Therefore, I do not see him as a top Championship striker. Who would you prefer up front Andre G or Sam B?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I stand corrected. I agree 'would' is wrong. It is always about probably improving your chances of scoring (/not conceding), there is no definite guarantee that Andre G would score, but let's just say he is far more likely to put away a chance than Sam B. Or do you disagree?

No I don't disagree that Andre G is probably a more natural finisher than Sam B, but does that necessarily make him better for our team - think Jordan Rhodes is a case in point that the big name striker doesn't always make the change expected!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

No. We're not.

If we're not, then we should be.

Oh, and thank you for your extremely balanced appraisal of Murray. Insightful to say the least.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Who are these strikers hanging around waiting for us to get them in on loan that are ready to bang in 10 goals in 9 games!? :shrug:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
He never said they did.

His/her post was:

"This... I think some here would like/expect us to win every game 6-0. sheesh"

Tell me, what does that mean? To me, it is a 'dig'; he/she is saying other posters 'expect' us to win 6-0 every game. Nobody expects that, or has said anything that implies they expect that. Rather, some (including me) are saying they want a top striker in on loan to boost our chances of a top 2 finish. Others disagree.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I just think there's a few on here that are perfectly happy with what we have and don't want anyone coming in to ruffle feathers. Fair enough.
Those few might not be thinking of the ultimate goal here, which is to achieve promotion at all costs.

We MAY achieve promotion with what we have, and if we do, what an amazing result that no bookies saw coming, even at this stage in the season.
However, we are more likely to achieve promotion if we bring in someone who is likely to score more goals than we are currently likely to score (imo).

---

More goals = more wins.
More wins = higher % chance of promotion.
Promotion = more £££ for TB (and a huge achievement for the club)

---

Less goals = less wins/more draws
less wins/more draws = lower % chance of promotion
No promotion = More £ millions of debt.

---

WWTBD

2501E80C00000578-2925026-image-m-2_1422139872982.jpg

Twist! [I hope].

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
His/her post was:

"This... I think some here would like/expect us to win every game 6-0. sheesh"

Tell me, what does that mean? To me, it is a 'dig'; he/she is saying other posters 'expect' us to win 6-0 every game. Nobody expects that, or has said anything that implies they expect that. Rather, some (including me) are saying they want a top striker in on loan to boost our chances of a top 2 finish. Others disagree.

First of I'm a he!

It's not a dig at anyone, it's a counter opinion, similar to the ones you so vocally take up - I am still of the opinion that the team we have got, including strikers is good enough for an automatic place.

Unfortunately we will never win this argument over the likes of you, as you have the fall-back position to be able to say, "but we would have won it earlier/by more points" - whereas I can only be wrong, even if we do go up.

So for me I am wrong if we miss out on automatic, and also wrong if we get automatic, as we could have done it more easily. As I said earlier, sheesh!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
What a strange thread (I'll admit I gave up after six pages), but just to chuck into the mix:

• We only need to (potentially) score one goal in a game (as per last night)
• We've already GOT a loan striker in. He scored last night
• What happens if Muzza shows up and a) disrupts the form we've currently got going on or b) doesn't score?
• Last season just grabbing loan strikers didn't work - what's the guarantee that GM WILL work?
What's the problem with sticking with what we've got? Hemed, Wilson, Baldock and Zamora are all capable of scoring goals. Then there's Jiri, who I'm sure will play his part – not to mention Murphy, LuaLua, Stephens, Kayal, etc, etc, etc.

The problem is that our current strikers are average to good at best. Murray, for example, has PROVED he can score plenty at this level. No guarantees of course, but I would invest now to maximize our chances of promotion. Just an opinion, of course...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You have forgotten the other option - blow a lot of money on another striker, then cause dissatisfaction all round by only playing one up top, then cause further discontent by switching to 442 and losing and finally losing the dressing room altogether..........

No names, no pack-drill, of course!

This happened. However, try looking at, say, Burnley, for a counter-example.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Who Posted?

Posts 25
B.W.

Posts 15
darkwolf666
Posts 14
StonehamPark
Posts 8