Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

82 yr old Wee Willie Harris sums up Kanye West

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Not in my opinion. Hip hop isn't my usual genre of choice, I can probably name 5 albums tops that I would still listen too, this album being one of them it's really well produced and has some great tracks.
You seem just way too fair minded for this forum![emoji12]

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I don't think I've ever used the word blood as a term of endearment in a non ironic way and I don't even own a baseball cap, but hey generalisations are cool.

I didn't say it was for everyone, the point I was making is anybody who has listened to his music would know that whilst being an egotistical prick that he's extremely talented. However a lot of people see him being a bellend and then just go "Oh, he's shit." I have a pretty ecliptic Music taste, I listen to anything, from The Rolling Stones through to JME so it's not that I'm just wrapped in one Genre, I just appreciate good music. I didn't think his performance last night was very good if I'm honest, he's certainly put on much better shows. My personal favourite being Late Orcestration at Abbey Road. Him, a DJ and a 17 piece all-female string orchestra.

He has 21 Grammy Awards (10th most ever.) from his 53 nominations (6th most ever.) which have covered Rapping, Live Shows, Production, Song Writing and Duets. He has 3 albums in the Rolling Stone ""500 Greatest Albums of All Time" list. Pitchfork currently have a Kanye West album as their "Album of the Decade so far". He's joint with Bob Dylan for most Pazz & Jop AOTY wins and was voted in the top 5 producers of the last decade by Billboard. And he's worked with some of the biggest names in music including Paul McCartney & Elton John.

But no, you're right. HE'S SHIT. It must be true, somebody who has never listened to a Kanye West album said so. :thumbsup:

I know I'm unreasonably annoyed by this, but as a Hip-Hop fan it boils my piss when people generalise an entire genre based on the poppy/chart side of it. It's like me going "Rock is shit, just listen to Maroon 5. They're rubbish"

Ok, good reply and a well thought out post, but if your first post #3 had not said people should stop listening to music if they thought West's entire back catalogue was shit, people like myself wouldn't have replied.

I applologise if you thought the baseball cap thing was just aimed at you, I have a 17 year old son who is a good lad and a massive BHA fan, but sometimes I think a different person has walked through the door.
He comes in playing Rap on his phone and talking to my wife in a different language.

I have had a look at some Kanye West lyrics, and someone who seems to use a word that rhymes with 'digger' frequently is not a good role model for young people.

As you know plenty about Kanye West you will also know he was brought up in a well off middle class family. Im not sure why someone so talented acts like he does.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Ok, good reply and a well thought out post, but if your first post #3 had not said people should stop listening to music if they thought West's entire back catalogue was shit, people like myself wouldn't have replied.[

I worded it badly yes, as I said I was trying to point out that if somebody listened to his music properly, even if they didn't like it they would be able to appreciate that he is talented. However at the same time he has such variety in his songs that I reckon most people would find something they didn't mind in there too.

I applologise if you thought the baseball cap thing was just aimed at you, I have a 17 year old son who is a good lad and a massive BHA fan, but sometimes I think a different person has walked through the door.He comes in playing Rap on his phone and talking to my wife in a different language

It's part of growing up though, isn't it? The Genre, Slang and Dress Sense might change but being a teenager is about liking stuff your parents don't and trying to forge your own identity. 30 years ago it was Punk, now it's Rap. In another 30 years it'll be something else.

I have had a look at some Kanye West lyrics, and someone who seems to use a word that rhymes with 'digger' frequently is not a good role model for young people.

He also has songs about the Diamond Trade in Sierra Leone, Christianity and songs from his dead mothers perspective. He does have songs about women, clothes and money but he's far from a one trick pony.

As you know plenty about Kanye West you will also know he was brought up in a well off middle class family. Im not sure why someone so talented acts like he does.

It's actually quite easy to explain why Kanye is like he is. As you said he was raised in a middle class family, but he didn't live with his father so he was obviously very close to his mum. He even has songs dedicated to her on some of his early albums. Literally every controversy he has been involved in has been since she died in 2007. I think it's just an opinionated person who doesn't know how to grieve and doesn't think before he opens his mouth. We've all gone a bit screwy after losing a family member and I don't think KW has ever got over his loss.

:shrug:

Anyway, I'm off to work so I've got to stop being a pathetic Kanye fan boy. :laugh:

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
You pays you money you make your choices - Sat night I did Nick Lowe, Paul Carrack, Andy FL followed by John Cooper Clarke followed by The Mothership Returns. Each to his own, plenty to go round.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Some people like him, most people on here think he's shit. Vive la difference as they say in Abu Dhabi. What I don't get, and what pisses me off, is pretty much every presenter/DJ falling over themselves to say how wonderful he is when there must be some of them who don't actually like him but are afraid to say, in the same way that no-one would come out and say Tracy Emmin's unmade bed was a load of old shit for fear of being thought a phillistine.

As I said - Emperor's New Clothes. He's done some songs that are INCONTROVERTIBLY shit. Unquestionably bad, by any grading or scale. Objectively bad. And some will still say it's genius.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
All I will say is that I heard his Karaoke singalong with the backing track of Bohemian Rhapsody and anyone who thinks that was good is deluded. Why did he even think he could do that song when most of it was out of his vocal range, as seen by his reliance on the audience for most of it!?!?

What went on in rehearsals? Surely one of his advisers could/should have put an arm around him as said "Er, Kanye. I think maybe you singing along to the Queen version of BoRap might be a mistake"??

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
images.jpg

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
All I will say is that I heard his Karaoke singalong with the backing track of Bohemian Rhapsody and anyone who thinks that was good is deluded. Why did he even think he could do that song when most of it was out of his vocal range, as seen by his reliance on the audience for most of it!?!?

What went on in rehearsals? Surely one of his advisers could/should have put an arm around him as said "Er, Kanye. I think maybe you singing along to the Queen version of BoRap might be a mistake"??
Agree with this. I've seen him live a few times both here and in the states and every show was amazing..... His show with jay z was just incredible the crowd were going absolutely mental it was a joy to behold.

However in recent months he has completely lost the plot and appears to have far too many yes men around. His performance on Saturday was abysmal and the queen rendition was nothing short of cringe worthy. It's pathetic that critics feel the need to suck up to him at every opportunity.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
He's obviously a talented and successful guy, who is one of the figureheads of his genre.

Sadly he also appears to be a monumental tossbag who is so far up his own arse that he's effectively wearing himself as a hat, which is enough for someone like me (no real interest in rap, Slash is a musical genius and Muse/Foo Fighters are some of the few remaining mega-acts etc.) to just completely turn my back on him.

It may sound harsh but it's almost impossible to completely remove personality from clouding achievement. As an example, I've not been able to listen to anything by Lostprophets for a while now as it feels tainted.

Obviously not suggesting Kanye has anything like that in his closet, merely a comparison.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here