Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] 80’s Music

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Quite.
In the 80s there was:
Punk
Reggae/Ska/etc.
Alternative/Indie music (Cure, REM, Wedding Present, Smiths etc.)
Heavy Metal (AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Def Leppard etc.)
Rock / Prog rock (Bruce Springsteen, Marillion etc.)
Cheesy pop (Timmy Mallet etc.)
New Romantic (Duran Duran, Spandau etc.)
General pop (A-ha etc.)
Early Britpop/Madchester/Shoegaze (JAMC, Stone Roses, Charlatans etc.)
Soul/R&B
Rap/Hip-Hop
Dance/Rave
I could go on, I'm sure there are other genres/scenes.
Plus many bands crossed genres (some of the above included)

Now, there's been great music before and after the 80s, however I think it was the most varied decade as far as the charts (and thus popular culture) were concerned. You could watch TOTP and get 4/5 genres at least (see above) all one show, something for everyone. Before/Since then the charts were not so multi-genred. You can excuse 60/70s as many of those mentioned above didn't exist (or didn't have much exposure), can't really excuse TOTP/Charts for lack of variation since then, especially as there was so much great stuff also in 90/00/etc. Since the 90s or so, we have to "search" for the music a bit more else you won't know what exists.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sincere apologies to [MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION] for my rant above last night. I was bang out of order

The clue is in the the thread title. If I'm not interested in 80's Music, which I'm not, then I should leave the thread to those who ARE interested. Simples.

And there's far worse crimes on NSC than trying to turn folks onto stuff they may not have heard before. Time was when I used to do the exact same thing meself. Fair play to H for his enthusiasm, genuinely hope I haven't dented it too much.

Mea culpa :down:

Wow. I wasn't expecting that. Much appreciated, and all the best :thumbsup:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Sax was king in the 80's that is why the music was sooooo good, even my kids say we were lucky to have grown up listening to it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Did you see his set before Ultravox in the Brighton Centre gig of about that year? We did. This old Jan and Dean number lived in the memory:

I like the music and give credit to you boys for unearthing someone I'd never heard of. Since this is an 80s thread I won't post any examples of the music but for the theatricality I'm immediatly minded of Shrink (who I saw in the late 70s) and visually, for the covered face, current sensation, Jonathan Bree. Oh bugger I can't resist, here's Bree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ysINF5JCXI

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Did you see his set before Ultravox in the Brighton Centre gig of about that year? We did. This old Jan and Dean number lived in the memory:

I was going to post Dead Man's Curve, but thought Prokofiev was more in keeping with NSC...

I saw Nash on 3 separate occasions, once as a support for Gary Numan (well twice actually as he made a cameo in Numan's fairwell concert), supporting Ultravox, as mentioned and also in his own show, either at Jenkinsons or The Dome, can't remember which!

Always rather hoped it was going to be someone well known beneath the bandages, but alas not...!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I like the music and give credit to you boys for unearthing someone I'd never heard of. Since this is an 80s thread I won't post any examples of the music but for the theatricality I'm immediatly minded of Shrink (who I saw in the late 70s) and visually, for the covered face, current sensation, Jonathan Bree. Oh bugger I can't resist, here's Bree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ysINF5JCXI

Harry, glad to be of service, check out some of his stuff, you may be surprised. No guitars used!!!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This may well have been the concert...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9uyT11vXPw

Thanks for that, you’re right.

Memories eh, I recall much of it pretty well. We went to loads of gigs by then, always squeezing near to the front, used to leave soaked through in perspiration. Not sure if the non H&S speakers did my hearing any good! We were still at school, great times.:smile:

05178F35-576C-404E-96C8-5B6BCD328A0C.png

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Loved this from Travelogue and the original line up. Drove my parents mad with music blasted from a Panasonic ‘music centre’, then Technics separates. Love the chorus from 0:58:

Similarly. This might be DM’s first ever track, I got it on a Some Bizarre label EP of budding new talents. Vince Clarke already a creative genius:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Loved this from Travelogue and the original line up. Drove my parents mad with music blasted from a Panasonic ‘music centre’, then Technics separates. Love the chorus from 0:58:

Similarly. This might be DM’s first ever track, I got it on a Some Bizarre label EP of budding new talents. Vince Clarke already a creative genius:

I've just (re)bought Reproduction on vinyl - and this has to be my favourite track on the album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSbLpd-SSvI

Saw Depeche Mode at Jenkinsons in '81, they had just released the album Speak & Spell and had no material other than the album to play, so had to rewind their backing track to do an encore!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I've just (re)bought Reproduction on vinyl - and this has to be my favourite track on the album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSbLpd-SSvI

Saw Depeche Mode at Jenkinsons in '81, they had just released the album Speak & Spell and had no material other than the album to play, so had to rewind their backing track to do an encore!

I’ve still got that vinyl bought at the time. It’s brilliant that they’re repressed again. My favourite is:

(A pedant might spot that we’re talking about a 1979 album. Not bothered myself).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here