Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

80's children only.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Hall & Oates are still a brilliant band in my view, just never ever got to see them live which was seriously annoying

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Hall & Oates are still a brilliant band in my view, just never ever got to see them live which was seriously annoying

Have you seen Yacht Rock's depiction of Hall and Oates?

Flex Your Head

Have you read "Trapped In A Scene", largely about these bands? Worth doing so if not.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trapped-Scene-Ian-Glasper/dp/1901447618/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1330712109&sr=1-1
I haven't; the Glasper books kinda passed me by as most Brit-punk was horribly generic and plodding in the early 80's (US / global Hardcore ruled supreme for me!), but this one does look particularly interesting, especially as I still have an Amazon voucher to spend...

I'd also recommend "Our Band Could Be Your Life", John Robb's "Punk Rock:an Oral History" and "Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk" by Legs McNeil. I love a good music book!

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
The keyboard player Richard Barbieri was dating a friend who wasn't all that aware of what he did, of knew about Japan particularly.
We used to meet for lunch together as a small group and he was very quiet and perhaps shy or socially retiring (tortured artist effect!)
I was the one telling her he was a talented lad, and was sure he'd go on to be part of something even bigger in the future - which he has done with Porcupine Tree, an absolutely brilliant band.

They wanted to come into the Inn Place when we were playing our weekly reggae night without paying..after one of their gigs in Brighton... tight fuckers... they paid...
It was only a quid ffs

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
No they f***ing weren't.

The Jam were the best band of the 80's by a mile. Style Council didn't come close.

However the Jam are a 70s band are they not, the same as Madness, Specials, Beat etc. If you were ultra cool they were 70s bands. or am I wrong ? I used to hate them, then liked them for nostalgic reasons then they all came back for the mula and I hate them again ! Am I wrong ?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The Jam started in the 1970s. All their number ones ('Going Underground'/'Dreams of Children', 'Start!', 'Town Called Malice'/'Precious' and 'Beat Surrender) were in the 1980s, though.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The Jam started in the 1970s. All their number ones ('Going Underground'/'Dreams of Children', 'Start!', 'Town Called Malice'/'Precious' and 'Beat Surrender) were in the 1980s, though.

I get that although the question was

What was the best 80's band?

On that note we could answer the beatles could we not as they were still selling big numbers.

I am being a tad pedantic though and will crawl back in my box. 70s band 70s band 70s band !!!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Another one for The Smiths....cant believe Johnny Marr was not named in the greatest 100 guitarists on the lottery show on Saturday night, when people like Keith Richards and George Harrison were in it. Joke!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

On that note we could answer the beatles could we not as they were still selling big numbers.

I am being a tad pedantic though and will crawl back in my box. 70s band 70s band 70s band !!!

No, because while their records from the 1960s were still selling well, the Beatles had ceased to exist as an entity by the 1980s. The Jam were very much still going as a band in the early 1980s.

Flex Your Head

I agree with you, even if no-one else does. The vast majority of their existence was in the 70's (as I pointed out on page 2 or 3).

As for The Jam; they existed between 1972 and 1982. Can they really be called an 80s band, especially as their best stuff came out in the 70s?

It seems it doesn't matter that they were at their peak in the 70s as they sold more records in the 80's?!

They wanted to come into the Inn Place when we were playing our weekly reggae night without paying..after one of their gigs in Brighton... tight fuckers... they paid...
It was only a quid ffs

Back in the day eh?
How long ago was that? P.Tree are a pretty big band now, and have been smart about how they sell their material and merchandise. No mega-lable ripping them off, selling through their website etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here