Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

8% of football fans would not watch their team with a gay player

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
In your universe, maybe.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, some people suffer greatly for their sexuality, and so prefer to keep it hidden and to themselves. They tell people when they feel confident enough about it. This has nothing to do with showmanship or thinking there's a greater sense of appreciation to be had, and your comment is clearly trivlialising the issue. For many, this is serious.

Quite. And until we live in more enlightened times, this won't happen - and people will refuse to come out.

Hmm, I think you've misunderstood me. I'll try again. It's not until we live in more enlightened times that the term "coming out" will become redundant. I'm not suggesting that doing so now, in the real world as you put it, is an act of vanity or showmanship, rather that to me the term suggests some kind of ceremonial rite of passage that shouldn't have to happen. In my opinion the term "coming out" shouldn't need to exist. I understand there is a difference between the real world and an enlightened one.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I haven't read the thread but has anyone made the point that 92 % of football fans fully endorse gay footballers representing their club ? What great strides we have made as a country so as far as I can see this is
a good news story..

I've come across at least one team of women footballers who enjoy going out together for a pleasant evening out. Their default position is to present themselves as a team that chooses a gay venue for the enjoyable evening. Only a minority of the team are lesbians, but at least they can all have a good time without attracting the attention of a bunch of leery blokes.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I haven't read the thread but has anyone made the point that 92 % of football fans fully endorse gay footballers representing their club ? What great strides we have made as a country so as far as I can see this is
a good news story..
The point has been made, and has been subject to some strong criticism from those who think that only 92% is a disgustingly low number!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I've come across at least one team of women footballers who enjoy going out together for a pleasant evening out. Their default position is to present themselves as a team that chooses a gay venue for the enjoyable evening. Only a minority of the team are lesbians, but at least they can all have a good time without attracting the attention of a bunch of leery blokes.

Back when I used to play, a fair few of the girls on the team were gay. Mostly out, some out amongst the team but not always to their families.

As you say, if we ever all went out for the evening, we'd nearly always end up in one of the various gay venues in town, because that's where they felt comfortable to be themselves (ie, to drink, relax, dance, occasionally kiss their partners or hold hands, and do all the things straight people take for granted) without the likelihood of receiving any abuse from pissed up idiots.

Agree with El Presidente on this: I've no doubt some of our footballers are out to their mates at their respective clubs, but choose not to discuss it publicly with anybody else, as is their right. For what it's worth, I suspect that when a guy does come out to his team mates, it's no different to most working environments. People say "no worries mate, good to know, carry on". I can think of dozens of gay colleagues in my current employ, both male and female. Yes, football is supposed to be a bit Dark Ages in its attitudes, but then people used to say that about where I work...it's definitely not true in my job and I'd like to think most players are intelligent (or, at least, decent) enough to cope too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I have a solution to it all

Given that Brighton is one of the most tolerant clubs on this issue. Perhaps all the gay players should come out to Brighton every year. We cherry pick all the best ones and build a brilliant football team on the strength of it who fire us to the Premiership

The 8% of fans who don't like it can **** off. They get replaced by thousands of gay football fans in the UK. Due to our tolerance and major publicity of it, we recruit millions of fans gay and gay tolerant and their families all round the world. We raise billions from sales of replica shirts all round the world which finance the club for many years to come.

Then the icing on the cake, the 8% who ****ed off earlier want to come back due to our success, we welcome them back with open arms because we are not only a tolerant but also a forgiving club, so we build an extension to the ground to welcome them back and sell another extra 8% replica shirts

Problem solved.
Yes we're very tolerant although we have as many gay fans at games as any other club...very few I'd say!!
That's interesting although I'd be wary bending over with your philosophy at matches:lol:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Yes we're very tolerant although we have as many gay fans at games as any other club...very few I'd say!!
That's interesting although I'd be wary bending over with your philosophy at matches:lol:

As a side note to your last line, are you suggesting that all the women at matches should be terrified due to all those heterosexual men in attendance.

I don't think it works like that I thing gay or straight, people who go to a football match are not there to empty their balls. Unless it's balls in the oppositions net

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
Am I allowed to be a ginger phobe ???? only I have to sit next to one...Though obviously I would still watch my team if we employed one...and I would not boo an opposition ginger either

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Back when I used to play, a fair few of the girls on the team were gay. Mostly out, some out amongst the team but not always to their families.

As you say, if we ever all went out for the evening, we'd nearly always end up in one of the various gay venues in town, because that's where they felt comfortable to be themselves (ie, to drink, relax, dance, occasionally kiss their partners or hold hands, and do all the things straight people take for granted) without the likelihood of receiving any abuse from pissed up idiots.

Agree with El Presidente on this: I've no doubt some of our footballers are out to their mates at their respective clubs, but choose not to discuss it publicly with anybody else, as is their right. For what it's worth, I suspect that when a guy does come out to his team mates, it's no different to most working environments. People say "no worries mate, good to know, carry on". I can think of dozens of gay colleagues in my current employ, both male and female. Yes, football is supposed to be a bit Dark Ages in its attitudes, but then people used to say that about where I work...it's definitely not true in my job and I'd like to think most players are intelligent (or, at least, decent) enough to cope too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interestingly, although there are openly gay sports journalists, none of them are football writers.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Am I allowed to be a ginger phobe ???? only I have to sit next to one...Though obviously I would still watch my team if we employed one...and I would not boo an opposition ginger either

You mean Sean Dyche? I think I'd have to draw the line there, there's only so much I can tolerate.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Well that's me put firmly in my place :nono:.....don't for Gods sake in this day and age, say anything light hearted about anything, or the Wannabe Victor Meldrews will hunt you down. I thoroughly dislike homophobics, still have, and have had many gay friends as I have also multiracial. Why is it that 'finger pointers' whom are neither see themselves as their needless and uneccessary protectors. :facepalm:

I have a black, gay friend, who has previously laughed at how precious some Albion fans can be about homophobia. I have told this before on this board and have been shouted down as a liar. Go figure huh?

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Well that's me put firmly in my place :nono:.....don't for Gods sake in this day and age, say anything light hearted about anything, or the Wannabe Victor Meldrews will hunt you down. I thoroughly dislike homophobics, still have, and have had many gay friends as I have also multiracial. Why is it that 'finger pointers' whom are neither see themselves as their needless and uneccessary protectors. :facepalm:

Well, I appreciated the humour of your original comment. It's a shame that humour and Serious Issues have to be incompatible to some people (those who like to plonk themselves firmly and unwaveringly on the moral high ground). Although, to be fair to the Rev, I think his comment was a lighthearted/ironic one.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

What I have found when I'm out in the pubs pretending to be single is that the hetero birds love to be noticed for the way they look. It might be enjoyable to have a "night out with the girls" but their overall preference is to be noticed as sexy by the leery blokes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here