Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

8 managers tapped up by the Telegraph

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
'Mr Black responded by talking about a “mate of mine” who is assistant manager at a leading Championship club who he suggested might be helpful.'

Bit worrying seeing as he's Scottish...? 2+2 I know...

Wasnt the Barnsley assistant Manager Scottish?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Apparently Pardew is one of 8 Managers! Not sure what he's done though

Along with Pulis, Giggs, Hughes, Moyes, Redknapp (shocker), Bruce and Black

Every British manager in the Premier league other than Howe and Dyche?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Wasnt the Barnsley assistant Manager Scottish?

Yep - I'm sure there's others and of course may not even be Scottish... Just a bit worrying but as I say 2+2...

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
The whole thing is sickening but at least now English football is seen for what it is. Let the police get involved. Only then can there be clear consciences afterwards.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
No wonder he has ruled himself out of the England job!

What he actually said was that he thought Southgate would do a good job and maybe stay in it, so he wouldn't want to push himself forward while Southgate is still there. In tomorrow's papers he'll say he's disappointed the FA haven't invited him to England get-togethers. I'm guessing.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Brian Clough, George Graham.
Does the apparent scale of these allegations surprise you, or is much of this (insider) common knowledge and everyday football maneuvering? This feeding frenzy must feel like Christmas for your profession!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
probably missing something, this sounds like scouting. and the McGarvey chap is doing all the talking, suggesting the ways to pay someone, Black chips in " i know a mate" and "might do it for less than you think". another duff claim imo.

and this McGarvey chap sounds like a right cockjuggler, going round setting up his mates.

Scouting for agents ?

Its the same thing. Taking payment from potential suppliers isn't it ?

Maybe I'm mad. You are employed full time by an employer and you are talking about taking the odd grand or two off suppliers in the same industry. Not hospitality, but cash.

Madness.

With experience there is nothing wrong with suggesting my company needs this or in a few months I might be interested in working for you. But to talk about cash payments on top of your salary..

Maybe I am missing something but is this how multi million pound corporations can be seen to be acting ?

Football exists in a different reality and they dare to call us customers.

The disparity of wages is the problem. It has caused a toxic situation. To suggest someone could do with a few grand because there are only earning 70 grand !

Hope there is more. English football needs a ****ing good kick up the backside.

You can't change the wages, but if an industry is incapable of controlling itself there is only one solution. Complete transparency of wages and payment. I've changed my mind over wages.

Put it all out there so supporters can see. Alongside declaration of outside interests which the public sector is required to do.

There is no commercial confidentiality argument until the industry decides to run itself as a modern business.

After which we will allow it off the naughty step.

I'm depressed that some posters on here are disappointed that the names so far aren't big enough. It's all showbiz apparently....

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Scouting for agents ?

Its the same thing. Taking payment from potential suppliers isn't it ?

Maybe I'm mad. You are employed full time by an employer and you are talking about taking the odd grand or two off suppliers in the same industry. Not hospitality, but cash.

it read like the proposition was to scout and provide info to the third party. so like being employed and on the side offering your mates firm the names of some contacts that a supplier might like to take on (not a direct metaphor). the offer seemed to be providing names of prospective players the company might sign/invest in, not talking up their signings to current club. there is a potential for conflict of interest (say passing over a good trialist to then recommend), but not really that much.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
it read like the proposition was to scout and provide info to the third party. so like being employed and on the side offering your mates firm the names of some contacts that a supplier might like to take on (not a direct metaphor). the offer seemed to be providing names of prospective players the company might sign/invest in, not talking up their signings to current club. there is a potential for conflict of interest (say passing over a good trialist to then recommend), but not really that much.

Eh ?

Well I'm trying to find an analogy where I work. Recommending a good translator to a translation company that supplies me. Tick.

Works for us both.

Taking cash or even a paid opportunity to speak at their conference as a "thanks". I'd be out the door.

It's the culture (not the individual examples) that is the problem here. If such behaviour is seen as "normal" and not highly regulated there is a problem and that is quite obviously the point of the investigation.

It's sport, there are millions of pounds involved, it is bet on globally 24 hours a day with billions of pounds. You would have thought "conflict of interest" would be drummed into employees. There is a very good reason that players betting behaviour is tightly controlled.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Does the apparent scale of these allegations surprise you, or is much of this (insider) common knowledge and everyday football maneuvering? This feeding frenzy must feel like Christmas for your profession!

Common knowledge. Can't believe anyone is in the least bit surprised. Any business where there is money sloshing around will have people ensuring lots of it goes their way. But although it is unquestionably immoral, is it illegal?

As for my profession, stings like this are done by the news pages, but make life harder for the sports writers. Editors want questions asked of managers that they are never, ever going to answer. Mostly we (and, I think, readers) are interested in players, tactics and games rather than financial details.

jon12345

Jul 22, 2014
The thing they have in common? All british!

Give it 6 months and wait for the average at best british manager moaning that all the top jobs are given to foreign managers.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Eh ?

Well I'm trying to find an analogy where I work. Recommending a good translator to a translation company that supplies me. Tick.

Works for us both.

Taking cash or even a paid opportunity to speak at their conference as a "thanks". I'd be out the door.

It's the culture (not the individual examples) that is the problem here. If such behaviour is seen as "normal" and not highly regulated there is a problem and that is quite obviously the point of the investigation.

whenever i get a call from a recruitment agent, and im not interested in the role, they ask me if i know anyone who might be. that seems pretty much what Black is doing and talking about others doing. i wouldnt be breaking any law or even acting unethically to do this, though i understand there are FA rules about this sort of thing. so what this seems to be about is a highly regulated profession that is being investigated because things considered OK elsewhere, is big news and "corruption" if it happens in football. maybe they'll come out with a big deal, so far the headlines have not matched the video or reported meeting.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Common knowledge. Can't believe anyone is in the least bit surprised. Any business where there is money sloshing around will have people ensuring lots of it goes their way. But although it is unquestionably immoral, is it illegal?

As for my profession, stings like this are done by the news pages, but make life harder for the sports writers. Editors want questions asked of managers that they are never, ever going to answer. Mostly we (and, I think, readers) are interested in players, tactics and games rather than financial details.

Your last line is what I think. I don't really care about financial side of it. It's not like MPs expenses where it's public money. That's not to say what Tommy Wright etc have done is right, it's just not that scandalous. The extent to which footballers are financial role models is debatable.
also After ten months investigating is this really the best they have? Hasselbaink was at fault in some ways but responsible in others. The fact that his and some of the others wrong doings take so much explaining of the rules dilutes it all for me.
Now if it was blatant match fixing, for example, I'd be more interested because it is directly conning the fans.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Alex Neil, Norwich manager mentioned in a tweet. Of course, it may be made up but it'd be interesting if he was to leave.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here