Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

7th May 1988 who remembers this day v Rovers

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Okay, this is my story in the days before the Internet.

I was on a work placement on a campsite in the South of France and with access to no radio for the World Service, I had to find out the score for the last four games by cycling six miles to the local village and ring my old school mates father who was a STH.

Before the last game I had wrote a letter (yes a letter) that we would win 2-1 and that the previously goal droughted KB would score a goal!

So after that last game I found out 7.30pm local time that we were promoted

I seem to recall that I drew a bit of attention with singing Seagulls on a shit bike through some very strange looks from the locals.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Remember the day well. I can even remember the awful jumper i was wearing! I was 18.

Lovely sunny afternoon, the Nelson and Bremner show as it always was that season and the charge on the pitch at the end. Hugged a couple of people i knew on the pitch and joined in the singing in front of the West Stand as the players came out to celebrate.

Great days. I miss the Goldstone.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
One of my favourite ever days at the Goldstone. Was in the North West terrace as the North was full by the time we got there, standing right behind Nelse as he crossed the ball in for Bremner. Almost as good as the Norwich FA Cup semi, which is still my overall favourite, this was a close number 2. I do miss the ground a lot.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I was standing on the floodlight on the NW corner as couldn't see a thing, was only 13 that day, brilliant!

Some bloke started moaning he couldn't see with me up there, some even bigger bloke told him to shut up and leave me alone as I was only little!

Cracking day I'll always remember

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
26k crowd ???
regards
DR

19,800 ish- officially- I think it was.

If you look at photos of that game compared to the Arsenal cup match the same season (given as c.26,000) the terraces as a whole aren't nearly as packed.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I was there up on the East terrace. Was a gloriously hot day, as all football end-of-season games should be.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
remember it well,also remember the next home game the following season,the attendance went from1600plus to 9000 v tranmere if i remember correctly,and we callother clubs fans fickle!!!!!!!,ripped my new pringle top that day too,gutted

Last edited:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Was in the North Stand. A great day, even if things did get a little 'intreresting' during the surges when we scored.

I didn't know it then, but it was to be my last ever visit to the Goldstone. I left to go backpacking around the world in August that year and haven't lived in the UK since.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

That is superb. Thanks for that.

What an absolute HERO Garry Nelson was.

Possibly my favourite game at the GG.

Most vividly I remember the celebrations in the West Stand after the game. The players were bouncing up and down, in a line, balancing on the front wall of the directors' box. Adrian Owers was dressed only in his underpants, and they were joined by a gorilla (who I found out later, was the hard kid from our school Stephen E******, who was serving a ban at the time!).

Rapper - I don't suppose you've got the big front page Argus photo showing that very scene?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Despite only being 14 then, i remember their striker running out the tunnel at the start of the game and tripping over the temporary advertising boards on the pitch ! How obscure and boring is that! Great day, great season. Paid £21 for my season ticket that year!

Not boring at all, Devon White tripping up was the funniest thing I've seen on a football pitch. A giant of a man he came trotting out in front of the south west eyeing up the TV due to be presented to the player of the season (who was it? Your starter for 10) by Reddifusion? He missed seeing the guy ropes to their little enclosure and went splat on his face. Marvellous
Great day

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Excellent day that was, Thanks for putting it up it brought back some great memories watching it.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Was in the North Stand. A great day, even if things did get a little 'intreresting' during the surges when we scored.

I didn't know it then, but it was to be my last ever visit to the Goldstone. I left to go backpacking around the world in August that year and haven't lived in the UK since.

Bloody Johnny Never Comes Lately....

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Great afternoon, was right next to Bristol Rovers, not the nicest bunch..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here