Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

75 years ago today, Hitler invaded Poland, starting WWII

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
At ease Crouchback. What does the lower Banner say (is that the Glory quote) - and what is the significance of the graphic on the main banner ?

The lower banner says: "To the glory of those who knew how to love you, Fatherland". The main banner is a graphical representation of this...

obraz_5644.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Westerplatte

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Exactly what else do you think he EU should do? If not sanctions, which weren't imposed on Hitler, the alternative would be to send force into Ukraine!

The EU got into this mess by offering the Ukraine EU membership.......................who do these people think they are playing power politics like this with a state on the doorstep of Russia?

Putin was never going to accept Ukraine as a EU state and/or member of Nato; are the countries in the EU seriously going to war with Russia.

Putin is calling their bluff................good on him.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I honestly believe we are seeing the engineering of the third great war occuring right before our eyes with Ukraine and ridiculous levels of funding for IS from America's allies In the middle east Saudi and Qatar. Much profit to be made from war!!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Blimey, not another thread where our resident Guardian readers are now going to lecture us for 120 pages on how the 2nd World War was the fault of the Western powers due to perceived appeasement towards Germany in the aftermath of the 1st war....... I am out....enjoy.

Or, as some would argue, quite the opposite, i.e. overly aggressive reparations sought by those Western powers via the punitive Treaty Of Versailles.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I honestly believe we are seeing the engineering of the third great war occuring right before our eyes with Ukraine and ridiculous levels of funding for IS from America's allies In the middle east Saudi and Qatar. Much profit to be made from war!!

I doubt it. These civil wars and minor invasions have been rumbling away for hundreds of years on and off. We just get to see them because students can tweet them. You're correct though, Corporate led governments like US and UK love a few wars on the go at any one time, they create them.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Didn't Richard Nixon say that World War 3 actually started in 1945, and the events in Korea, Vietnam and the Cuban Missile crisis were merely battles during the ongoing conflict?

Interesting article on the BBC website re:polish migrants and those who stayed behind after WWII (the alternative being going back to country occupied by jolly old Jo Stalin I believe).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28979789

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Ukraine clashes force troops to abandon airport before crisis talks
Latest discussions to end crisis to include Russia-backed separatists, as Luhansk and Donetsk airports come under fire

Fighting continued in eastern Ukraine on Monday, as a new round of talks were due to start in Minsk, Belarus, aimed at ending the crisis, which for the first time would include representatives of the Russia-backed separatist movement.

War? I'm on this side!

iu

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
The EU got into this mess by offering the Ukraine EU membership.......................who do these people think they are playing power politics like this with a state on the doorstep of Russia?

Putin was never going to accept Ukraine as a EU state and/or member of Nato; are the countries in the EU seriously going to war with Russia.

I like the cut of your jib !! I think the US had influence in this as well , anyway a large proportion of Ukrainians didn't want closer ties with the EU , just look how many hundreds of thousands of Ukrainians have defected to Russia .

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
Blimey, not another thread where our resident Guardian readers are now going to lecture us for 120 pages on how the 2nd World War was the fault of the Western powers due to perceived appeasement towards Germany in the aftermath of the 1st war....... I am out....enjoy.

You didn't get very far. :p

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia

Your analysis seems to ignore the fact that Ukraine is an independent soveriegn nation allowed to make it's own decisions. It isn't a vassal of Russia. I suggest you put your anti-eu blinkers to one side for the moment and consider it from a 21st century perspective rather than as part of the 19th century imperial mindset Putin is stuck in.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I like the cut of your jib !! I think the US had influence in this as well , anyway a large proportion of Ukrainians didn't want closer ties with the EU , just look how many hundreds of thousands of Ukrainians have defected to Russia .

Out of interest what numbers of these defectors to Russia are ethnically Ukrainian?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here