Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] 7.8 Earthquake Turkey and Syria

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I shall definitely be making a donation for aid to this one as will many other many people round the World will be doing (probably through the Red Cross) - it looks very grim and the rescue efforts will be massive. 😟

Measured 7.8 at 01:17 (UTC) followed by a large aftershock of 6.7 at 01:28 - if you click on the panoramic logo on the link you can see what the tremor trail is ( huge)

Incredible that President Zelenskyy even in the middle of a war is offering condolences and aid already.

Last edited:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Just seen some of the images, as you say it does look grim. Seems to have affected many towns and urban areas.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Just seen some of the images, as you say it does look grim. Seems to have affected many towns and urban areas.
Yes, highly populated areas and death toll will likely be in the 1000’s - happened in the middle of the night when people were sleeping- horrible and very very sad 😟

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Update - As far as Syria is concerned- refugee camps affected, snow storms, weakened and already damaged infrastructure and buildings from a decade of war - the impact is on civilian population there is critical.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Correction to the above. Apparently, the rescuers are Syrian, but it is still miraculous the child survived.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
If anyone feels like donating a few quid for support there’s a Red Cross Appeal here (in conjunction with the Turkish Red Crescent & Syrian Arab Red Crescent ) under the umbrella of the International Red Cross.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
This is heartbreaking.

I recall watching some boffin a few years ago effectively saying it was only a matter of time before a big one hit Istanbul.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
We experienced a 6.3 quake at the top of the south island in NZ a few years back thankfully no injuries or damage,it was mid afternoon but no warning just a rumble that got louder and louder and to see things rocking around where we were staying is like nothing else we have experienced. We see the pictures from Ukraine and WMD,s but they are nothing compared to the power of mother nature.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Nature can be a ****.
Agreed - heartbreaking

Situation in Syria is dire and made worse by Assad and Russia having closed the only possible access by road to deliver rescue workers and aid:
“This is truly a nightmare scenario—a catastrophic natural disaster strikes one of the world’s most vulnerable populations, leaving thousands of leveled buildings and thousands of casualties amid bitter winter weather, and not a single route is open for aid.”

And I just couldn’t believe that Assad was bombing earthquake-hit opposition held enclaves literally within hours of the earthquake - what a monumental fcukwit he is 😡

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
We experienced a 6.3 quake at the top of the south island in NZ a few years back thankfully no injuries or damage,it was mid afternoon but no warning just a rumble that got louder and louder and to see things rocking around where we were staying is like nothing else we have experienced. We see the pictures from Ukraine and WMD,s but they are nothing compared to the power of mother nature.
I was in Greece a year or so ago for a 6.0 quake and it was pretty disconcerting (especially as I was on the toilet at the time), although no buildings near us were damaged.

Worth remembering though that the Richter scale is exponential - so I can't imagine how terrifying a 7.8 shake must be.

Some of the scenes from Turkey & Syria are heartbreaking.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
I was in Greece a year or so ago for a 6.0 quake and it was pretty disconcerting (especially as I was on the toilet at the time), although no buildings near us were damaged.

Worth remembering though that the Richter scale is exponential - so I can't imagine how terrifying a 7.8 shake must be.

Some of the scenes from Turkey & Syria are heartbreaking.
I was in Izmir when the 2020 7.0 earthquake off Samos hit with serious damage in some parts of the city though not where I was. Scary as were hundreds of aftershocks for several days afterwards.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here