Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 6 out of 6

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No there isn't, It is illegal to grow the grapes and produce it anywhere other then errrrr . . . the Champagne area of La Belle France.
Ha. Of course it isn't - that would be utterly ridiculous - not to mention completely impossible to enforce.

It would be completely legal to grow the relevant grapes, anywhere in the world you choose.
It would be completely legal to use those grapes to make wine.
It would be completely legal to use the same traditional method of fermentation, to make it sparkling wine.

It just wouldn't be legal to market it as 'Champagne'.

In fact, here are some to buy: https://www.victoriananursery.co.uk/Champagne-Grape-Collection/#How to...

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
sparkling wines from other bits of France are often called “Cremant de…..” - Bourgogne, Alsace, Loire and so on. We have some lifelong friends in Alsace from a wine producing family (in the past) who maintained that other bits of France produce Sparkling wine which is just as good as Champagne - they would say that, wouldn’t they. I’m not a wine expert, but I have had some very nice Cremants in my time.
Alsace, Bourgogne and Loire all produce v decent Cremant wines.
One thing to look out for is how it’s produced. Methode Champenoise (or equivalent in other languages) means it has undergone a second fermentation in the bottle. If you don’t see that, it’s artificially gasified….. like a soda stream. I quite honestly don’t know if Prosecco is produced in this way….. or Cava. It probably varies from producer to producer.
No, Prosecco is mass-produced, artificially carbonated fizz. A triumph of marketing.
Personally, the home grown sparkling wine is pretty damn good. There are some very decent vineyards and all producing top notch fizz. Rather pricey but having had Champagne recently I would say champagne is not as good and the French know it. That said, I have yet to enjoy a Red produced in this country. Will continue to stick to other continents.
It's all to do with climate. The success of English sparkling wines in the past few years is a rare example of a benefit of global warming. That extra degree or two has brought southern England into alignment with where Champagne used to be. Coupled with a similar chalky terroir and fermentation methods, it's very logical that English sparkling should match the quality of Champagne. In blind tastings, good English fizz has been matching or outscoring Champagne for a few decades now.

Bolney fizz is made using the "champagneois" (sp?) method.
Chapel Down uses the "sodastream" option.
I'm happy to drink either - and have done with alacrity, and will continue to do so.

Other English fizz will presumably use either (or both?) options?
You can use either method but have to label it appropriately. We used to be able to say Methode Champenoise but even that's no longer allowed. You have to say something like 'secondary fermentation in bottle' or 'traditional method' these days.
Indeed, is there any other kind of Champagne than "French" Champagne? No there isn't, It is illegal to grow the grapes and produce it anywhere other then errrrr . . . the Champagne area of La Belle France.
Pinot Noir and Chardonnay are grown all over the world. The minor variety, Pinot Meunier, less so.

I'm glad that my ancient Wine and Spirit Education Trust qualifications have finally come in useful.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Prosecco has to be from a specific geographic region and use a particular type of grape. It’s made using a different technique than champagne though so it’s possible to get sparkling, semi-sparkling and even still Prosecco (this is why a dry cava is a better wine than Prosecco if you want cheap fizz).
Posts you wouldn't get on the Millwall forum, number one in a short series.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Alsace, Bourgogne and Loire all produce v decent Cremant wines.

No, Prosecco is mass-produced, artificially carbonated fizz. A triumph of marketing.

It's all to do with climate. The success of English sparkling wines in the past few years is a rare example of a benefit of global warming. That extra degree or two has brought southern England into alignment with where Champagne used to be. Coupled with a similar chalky terroir and fermwentation methods, it's very logical that English sparkling should match the quality of Champagne. In blind tastings, good English fizz has been matching or outscoring Champagne for a few decades no

You can use eithet method but have to label it appropriately. We used to be able to say Methode Champenoise but even that's no longer allowed. You have to say something like 'secondary fermentation in bottle' or 'traditional method' these days.

Pinot Noir and Chardonnay are grown all over the world. The minor variety, Pinot Meunier, less so.

I'm glad that my ancient Wine and Spirit Education Trust qualifications have finally come in useful.
Posts you wouldn't get on the Millwall forum, number two in a short series.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I'm pretty sure that my man at Quaff told me that my preferred bottle of Nyetimber was predominantly (or all?) made from the Pinot Meunier grape.

And spot on about Cremant de Loire, my dad lives over in the Loire and we always come back with a good few (duty paid, of course!) bottles from sources as varied as cellars in old Troglodyte caves and Super U.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So do all people who done the 6 games get the Champagne, Prosecco, Sparkling Wine or just a lucky dip?
And are the bottle tops removed?

I done all 6 so I want I want. Barbara out.
It seems two season ticket holders and two MyAlbion+ members were the lucky ones, with the former getting the superior gift.

Although it has given the Palace shower an excuse to laugh at the half and half scarfs. :rolleyes:

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I'm pretty sure that my man at Quaff told me that my preferred bottle of Nyetimber was predominantly (or all?) made from the Pinot Meunier grape.

And spot on about Cremant de Loire, my dad lives over in the Loire and we always come back with a good few (duty paid, of course!) bottles from sources as varied as cellars in old Troglodyte caves and Super U.
Fair enough, I didn't know that (and I am a bit out of touch). Grapes and terroir have temperamental relationships, and I guess it does particularly well in this region of England. I've not had Nyetimber but it has a good rep so they obviously know what they're doing.

Interestingly (perhaps?), almost all white wine is made from white grapes but Champagne is a rare exception. Pinot Noir and Meunier are black grapes but the juice is separated from the skins early in the vinification process to avoid any discolouration of the wine. You occasionally see "Blanc de Noirs" on a lable to denote that all the wine has been made entirely from black grapes though usually the juice is blended with Chardonnay. A Champagne made from 100% Chardonnay is labelled Blanc de Blancs. In Ticino, the Italian bit of Switzerland, they make a white wine from Merlot (black grape) which I've not seen anywhere else. I'm sure there are other examples but I've not noticed them.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Although it has given the Palace shower an excuse to laugh at the half and half scarfs. :rolleyes:

I did see this on TwiXXer that the Palace fans were amused by the half and half. We're amused by their shit ground, aren't in European competition, and the fact they have a geriatric manager. They're amused by a scarf. I'd hazard a guess at which is funnier.

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
I don’t really see the issue with half and half scarves in European games, we might never play Ajax or AEK again…

Normal half and half scarf rules don’t apply in Europe, not that Palace would know. I bought an insanely knock off Brighton AEK half and half from a street vendor in Athens for 5€, would go up in flames if it got within a two metres of fire so I’ll never wear it anywhere but I love it.

But probably taking it too far - Scousers have started? (may have been going on a while) buying baseball caps from whichever team they’re playing in Europe and wear them in the away end…

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Prosecco has to be from a specific geographic region and use a particular type of grape. It’s made using a different technique than champagne though so it’s possible to get sparkling, semi-sparkling and even still Prosecco (this is why a dry cava is a better wine than Prosecco if you want cheap fizz).
🙇‍♂️

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Is that a half and half scarf?!
Mine would be sent straight back with a letter telling them to give their head a wobble. Would take the French Champagne though.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
If there's an Ajax logo on the box, and an AEK scarf, is there anything to represent the Marseille game?
Or does the bloke who delivered it just stand in your doorway stopping you from leaving the house for 2 hours after he's dropped it off?

joelveltman

Nov 3, 2023
Can someone enlighten me as to how someone in the replies won the ‘Albion+’ version, which mentions “impressively high attendance to all EL home and away games”. I thought only STH could get the away tickets? Not a gripe, I’m just very nosey.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here