Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£6 glasses

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
having been just prescribed glasses for the 1st time in my life, i have the daunting task of trying to locate myself a new pair of 'double glazings' could i use this site?

i literally wanted to sprint out of specsavers when i was delivered with the ageing news but the little runt made me try some 'frames ' on to see how they looked, well i havent got a clue......

having been just prescribed glasses for the 1st time in my life, i have the daunting task of trying to locate myself a new pair of 'double glazings' could i use this site?

i literally wanted to sprint out of specsavers when i was delivered with the ageing news but the little runt made me try some 'frames ' on to see how they looked, well i havent got a clue......

You could, but I'd recommend going into a shop and trying a few styles on to see what suits you. Whenever I buy new glasses I have to try on a good 10-20 pairs to find a pair that don't make me look too much like a complete weirdo, and I often see things on the shelf that look great but they look ridiculous when I try them on.

That's the big problem for me of buying glasses over the internet - it's very difficult to tell what will suit without trying them on. I think this is much more the case with glasses than it is with things like clothes (says the man that can never be arsed to try clothes on in the shop).

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I had an eye test a couple of months ago and my prescription has changed, but I can't believe glasses are so expensive in the first place. A half decent pair costs anything from £65 up, especially as I'm not longer eligible to have a voucher for a discount. This website might just be the ticket, thanks for flagging it up!

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
I had an eye test a couple of months ago and my prescription has changed, but I can't believe glasses are so expensive in the first place. A half decent pair costs anything from £65 up, especially as I'm not longer eligible to have a voucher for a discount. This website might just be the ticket, thanks for flagging it up!

£65 is nothing,my current pair with the second thinnest glass lenses available and reactolight lenses cost me £480 at D&A and that is for single prescription lenses in an own brand D&A frame.
The price for the thinnest lenses available was another £100.

Check out the lenses I could get from a camera company for that sort of money,£580 quid goes a long way at Cannon for much more complicated kit.

Glasses are another total rip-off for the consumer.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I've had to buy glasses 3 times and always used http://glassesdirect.co.uk , never had any issues with them. You can get some really cheap glasses with thicker lenses all the way up to designer ones with thinner scratch resistant lenses and UV protection. They normally have offers on, I think I paid about £90 last time for branded single vision scratch resistant glasses and they chucked in a free pair (with a cheaper frame).

Lenses are always a rip-off, I remember reading somewhere that they cost a few PENCE to manufacture.

Eddie Bee

Feb 3, 2009
Shoreham by Sea
Lenses are always a rip-off, I remember reading somewhere that they cost a few PENCE to manufacture.[/QUOTE]

Ok, I love to rip people off. Yes, I am in the business trying to make a living. Not enough for a 1901 membership but manage a NS season ticket.

You could say similar about everything. Those parts for the boiler, sink etc cost so little why am I charged so much by the Plumber. That pair of jeans cost pennies to make but they cost me £20 +. That dentist only took 5+ minutes to look at my teeth and charged me £17+ for the privilege. Solicitors, Accountants, physios, consultants I think everyone makes a charge for their time, that includes paying rent, for equipment (expensive to us) for wages, utilities, shop/practice upkeep, professional fees, accountancy fees, the taxman SO yes maybe parts are relatively inexpensive BUT look at the bigger picture.

MY rant over

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
I've bought a few pairs from SelectSpecs couple of years ago, surprisingly good value. I ordered a couple of basic pairs to test the service and quality then bought some reactors and some shades for holiday. It’s worth buying couple of pairs at a time though due to postage costs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here