Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

5th Test Match

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Today's Independent is advocating the following team for the summer (assuming all fit - and willing - of course):
Cook, Hameed, Jennings, Root, Bairstow, Stokes, Buttler, Moeen, Woakes, Broad. Anderson

Any disagreements? This is a bit counter-intuitive: a team coming off the back of a 4-0 hammering with virtually no changes. But, I for one, can't think of any.

It depends on what we are selecting for. To win in England it's probably yes.

Long term we need to be developing a proper frontline spinner. Moeen's figures on helpful tracks have been tragic, he's had nearly 40 Tests to develop as a bowler and he hasn't. He's not a big enough wicket taking threat to justify his economy rate. Of course, in English conditions two things work in his (and any other spinners favour) 1) He doesn't bowl long spells 2) People try to get after him because of the threat coming from the other end.

I really don't mind us choosing one of Buttler or Moeen to bat 7 and playing the best spinner we have available even if it makes us a worse side in the short term. We don't need 4 all rounders. Long term we need the best spinner we possess to be playing. I also have half a mind that one of the reasons we keep collapsing in a heap is the team look at Woakes/ Rashid coming in at 9 and think "there's plenty to come," I've been in dressing rooms myself in teams with long batting line-ups where we've thought like that. The top 7 need to understand that runs are their responsibility and anything else is a bonus, like the period where we had 6 batsmen, Prior at 7, Broad at 8, Swann at 9 and not much else and more often than not scored heavily.

Also, we've got Australia coming up where the tracks are going to be lightning fast. That seam attack is too one paced for me, I want to see Wood involved if he can prove his fitness.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Today's Independent is advocating the following team for the summer (assuming all fit - and willing - of course):
Cook, Hameed, Jennings, Root, Bairstow, Stokes, Buttler, Moeen, Woakes, Broad. Anderson

Any disagreements? This is a bit counter-intuitive: a team coming off the back of a 4-0 hammering with virtually no changes. But, I for one, can't think of any.

Rashid has just had a good series. He bowled against better batsman in the conditions and had two less innings than Ashwin and Jadeja. So I may play him and have Moheen as a batsman. Dropping Buttler who I admire.
Mat Inns Overs MdnsRunWktsBBI BBM Ave EconSR 5 10 Ct S
Jadeja 5 10 290.1 67 672 26] 7/48 10/154 25.84 2.31 66.9 1 1 6 0
Ashwin 5 10 307.1 45 847 28 6/55 12/167 30.25 2.75 65.8 3 1 1 0
Rashid 5 8 232.2 19 861 23 4/82 7/178 37.43 3.70 60.6 0 0 2 0

Then I would hope Wood is fit and would replace Woakes although Broad or Anderson are now at an age where one is likely to be injured.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

The danger is we pick that team, forget about the hammering, all move on and fail to learn anything out of it, then the next time we're in the sub-continent we get a repeat performance.

The bottom line is we were always going to lose the series because we don't have a world class spinner, but we should have at least been competitive and our failure to compete is because of our propensity to collapse.

Who is responsible for the collective failure to defend when called upon? Certainly the players but the captain has to take some responsibility too.

Would we have won this series with, say, Graeme Swann instead of the Ansari / Batty / Dawson at No.9 in the order? Maybe.

On balance I think the way to go is to relieve Cook of the captaincy and give it to Root so that he has a home series to, hopefully, make the adjustment and start with a win. It is much harder for any new captain to begin on tour overseas. Maybe county colleague Bairstow could be vice-captain?

Cook will then be able to concentrate on his own batting. We need stability at the top of the order and we need to back Hameed and Jennings and get the three of them working together.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here