Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 5th In The League - You’re Having A Laugh

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am biased as I hate teams that send their keeper to take free kicks near the halfway line. They did however show that you do not need to be good to be 5th just efficient and play to your strengths.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Is their animosity between Dyche and Hughton?

It seemed to me in both post match (radio) interviews they made a point of not mentioning each others name.
Almost actively talking round it, when praising the opposition.

Don’t think so....I certainly think Dyche is reluctant to give any credit to the opposing team and i’m surprised he had a voice let having spent nearly the entire match in conversation with the fourth official

theboybilly

Another game that showed why I'm so thankful we didn't waste money on Chris Wood. Burnley were well organised and better than Stoke, WBA and Southampton. Another striker would have given Burnley a two-goal cushion. Albion however hardly tested Pope

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
They were poor and clearly missed Ward and Heaton. Despite that we didn't score.

Today was like a Championship game. Burnley were not as bad as West Brom - not even close - but there was a lack of quality all over the park. Yes the game held the interest in the first half but in terms of quality it was lower league all round.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I am biased as I hate teams that send their keeper to take free kicks near the halfway line. They did however show that you do not need to be good to be 5th just efficient and play to your strengths.

It's a good job you didn't go to Wembley, as Ryan took two free kicks near the halfway line. Spurs booed us when Duffy set up the ball, walked away and then Ryan walked up to take them.

Clampet

Apr 27, 2016
Definitely a below par performance today so a point is great. We usually try to keep it on the floor quite often these days but couldn't find a pass today. That was because you played us at our game by pressing from the front. You have looked good when I have watched on tv and looked good today. If you get a goal scorer you should be fine. I think we came into it the last 15 minutes because your players were tiring due to the pressing. That's why we get so many late goals. We are probably the fittest team in the division and can keep going for 90 odd minutes.

The first season we came up with Dyche we tried to stop teams scoring and hoped to nick one. We then lost 6 on the bounce 1.0 because the odd chances we got we didn't take. We have since learnt and become more ruthless. You look to have the same problem in some of your games. It's trying to get the right balance against teams who are wise to the division. It isn't easy but if you open up they will eat you alive.

I fancy you to beat Watford next week. They have players out with suspensions and injuries and their defence isn't great. Just have to be careful with Richarlison as he will go down if you put your little finger anywhere near him.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Agree that Burnley weren't very good today. Also would happily go further and say that their players are nowhere near good enough to finish even 7th or 8th. Expect them to slide to mid-table at best but obviously still a great achievement.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Maybe we played very well? We totally dominated a very good side for at least two thirds of the game. Why there are so many negative comments on nsc today I'll never know. (I don't mean this thread.) We know where our squad comes up short, but the players ran their balls off today, the midfield were sharp and won every 50/50. I've opened nsc a few times and closed it again in disbelief.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It’s a little unfair to judge a team on one game. There were games last season where the home fans would have said the same about us and we got promoted. I’m thinking Huddersfield away, even Birmingham away where we only started playing after 70 minutes. There were probably others. Burnley are where they are on merit because of their performances from August to December not just yesterday.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
After all the hype recently, very surprised to see that they’re basically still the same hoof ball merchants that they have been for the past few seasons. Decent side from an organisation point of view but at times their passing was woeful. Disappointing we couldn’t take advantage.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
After all the hype recently, very surprised to see that they’re basically still the same hoof ball merchants that they have been for the past few seasons. Decent side from an organisation point of view but at times their passing was woeful. Disappointing we couldn’t take advantage.

It must be remembered who their manager is and what his tactics are. It is understandable why they wanted Dale Stephens.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
My wife came to her 1st amex game today - & said of burnley - they are very organised at defending arent they.

:blush:

Your wife is very perceptive:)

I am usually quite pessimistic about Burnley's chances and we almost certainly will slip down the table, but I am confident we will finish above Brighton and quite a few other teams this season.

With the title race all but over, I am looking forward to seeing how the relegation battle develops knowing that we can affect other teams' survival chances at the same time knowing our PL status is likely to be preserved for 2018/19 - and it is not Christmas yet!

After our sub-standard display yesterday, hopefully, we will be able to put on an impressive show for the travelling Seagulls' fans at Turf Moor in April - when the likes of Heaton, Ward and any new players will be available.

Last edited:

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Definitely a below par performance today so a point is great. We usually try to keep it on the floor quite often these days but couldn't find a pass today. That was because you played us at our game by pressing from the front. You have looked good when I have watched on tv and looked good today. If you get a goal scorer you should be fine. I think we came into it the last 15 minutes because your players were tiring due to the pressing. That's why we get so many late goals. We are probably the fittest team in the division and can keep going for 90 odd minutes.

The first season we came up with Dyche we tried to stop teams scoring and hoped to nick one. We then lost 6 on the bounce 1.0 because the odd chances we got we didn't take. We have since learnt and become more ruthless. You look to have the same problem in some of your games. It's trying to get the right balance against teams who are wise to the division. It isn't easy but if you open up they will eat you alive.

I fancy you to beat Watford next week. They have players out with suspensions and injuries and their defence isn't great. Just have to be careful with Richarlison as he will go down if you put your little finger anywhere near him.

Cannot disagree.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
For two thirds of the game I thought that they were the worst side we have played at the Amex for a couple of years. Absolutely useless, we should have put them away today. Papers saying today that they are punching above their statistics.

I thought it was two points dropped and a chance to improve our goal difference. Unimpressed by most of their play and players. They were fitter than us though.

Not a bad as Everton though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here