Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 50 years ago today.

Seagull on the Hill

Jan 22, 2022
Brighton 4 - 0 Southport
Anyone else remember this game?
Pat Saward had just been sacked, and after the match there was a demonstration outside the West Stand demanding the reinstatement of the popular former manager.
Little did we know that a few days later the football world would be astounded when Brian Clough was appointed as manager!

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Brighton 4 - 0 Southport
Pat Saward had just been sacked, and after the match there was a demonstration outside the West Stand demanding the reinstatement of the popular former manager.
Little did we know that a few days later the football world would be astounded when Brian Clough was appointed as manager!

I was feeling the same way about Chris Hughton until his Ghana 11 lost to the United States 4 - 0. Come on, Chris, that just can't happen!!!!!

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Yes - remember it well. Although I never liked Clough and when I heard he was coming in was not as excited as many were.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I was 5. No is my answer 🙂

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yes! Couldn't believe it though when Clough (and let's not forget Peter Taylor) were appointed. I did think it was a bit of a gimmick and I didn't think they'd stay, but I also realised that the club under Mike Bamber had ambition. I used to say that was a key moment; prior to that were the years BC ('Before Clough'), after that was the launch into what we used to call the 'Glory Years'. Although it must be said the birth pangs were sometimes a bit painful! (Walton and Hersham and Bristol Rovers spring to mind).

W3D

I'm Thirsty
Apr 21, 2021
Worthing
Brighton 4 - 0 Southport
Don't remember it, but pretty sur I'd have been there

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Sort of. I was there, being a season ticket holder in the south stand and sitting on the benches that made up the seating. Would have been 17 and just discovering alchohol so those days were a bit blurred.

Seagull on the Hill

Jan 22, 2022
Sort of. I was there, being a season ticket holder in the south stand and sitting on the benches that made up the seating. Would have been 17 and just discovering alchohol so those days were a bit blurred.
17 and in with the old 'uns in the South Stand?
Was the North Stand too raucous for you?😁

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
When my dad got ST's for us we were at the back of wooden benches so we could stand up to see. After a number of years it burnt down, suddenly just like that, for no apparent reason at all ;)

DavePage

Brighton 4 - 0 Southport
I would have been there, not that I remember. I was match day staff back in those days

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Brighton 4 - 0 Southport
My first game was Clough's first game (York 0-0)

BTW, look where Southport are now

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I was on a 2-week school exchange to St Jean De Luz in the south of France where I didn’t get any UK news. On the way back I bought a British paper from a shop near Gare Du Nord and saw a picture of Clough in a deckchair. It was unbelievable. I really can’t think of an equivalent now as no football manager has his profile. He had recently been on Parkinson and you couldn’t move for would-be impressionists doing him. Mourinho leaving Chelsea a few years ago to manage Bristol Rovers would have been much less surprising.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
My first game was Clough's first game (York 0-0)

BTW, look where Southport are now
JCL! :lolol:

Without looking it up there were about 5 or 6,000 of us there for the Southport game and about 16 or 17,000 for the visit of York! It wasn't all day-tripper and glory-hunters; as I'm sure you know attendances did fluctuate wildly in those days and crowds could easily double or halve depending on how the team were doing.

And as an aside look at where York are now as well :(

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I was 11 coming up 12, remember Clough and would likely have been at the game

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I was on my honeymoon with my first wife.
Couldn’t believe the news. However, the initial excitement (not of my wife or honeymoon😁) soon wore off when we all discovered what a first class tosser he proved to be. At least Taylor had the decency to stay a bit longer. Clough just took the piss.😡🤬

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here