Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 50 years ago today 3/5/72

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Was that THE J.K. Taylor of Wolverhampton sporting the whistle?

BHAR.jpg

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
I was a five year old living in Sutton At Hone near Dartford at the time, we returned to my town of birth about two years later. As none of my family had any interest in football, let alone The Albion, if we had stayed I wonder who I would have ending up supporting? I dread to think!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Before my time (as an Albion fan) Armchair Spurs fan from abroad at the time :smile:

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Yes! We scored quite early iirc and thought it was going to be a comfortable night. Of course Rochdale equalised and we went through the usual emotional wringer. I think a point suited both sides in the end but again I could be wrong.

Fifty years! Blimey.

I think that 1 point meant us going up, and 1 point meant Rochdale staying up.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Yes in the North Stand. First promotion always sweet, although that was a curiously uneventful game.

Much later heard a story that with not much happening in the closing stages, ref Jack Taylor said: You lot don't need me - think I'll head off home...or words to that effect.

Never knew whether that was true now 50 years ago. Happy days!

And Pat Saward was in their trainer's box getting some sort of agreement.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Yep, home and away as others. In fact I think I did Spotland in consecutive seasons, one of which we got in free as some “fans” kicked open the exit gates and the hoards got in for nothing. Oh those were the days. Nutty slack terracing and gents consisting of a five foot six wall in the corner so the taller amongst us missed none of the action.

Also we could change ends at halftime, meaning we were behind the goal we were attacking all game.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I was there.
Was living in Bournemouth at the time and drove over in the afternoon. Fantastic atmosphere.
I believe it was Sussex boy, John Templeman who scored for us.

Harveyjack12

Dec 4, 2014
I was there on my cousins boyfriends shoulders in the south stand. Can’t believe it’s 50 years. Was my first Brighton game but not my first professional game. A year or two earlier a neighbour had taken me to palace v Southampton but obviously didn’t enjoy it that much as I never went back apart from many times with Brighton of course.

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
Went with Dad, was somewhere in the chicken run. Not much of a game, but as others had said, the draw suited both teams so that is how it was played out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here