Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 50 years ago today 25/3/1972 Alblon beat Aston Villa 2-1

World of Sport

Mar 9, 2007
WSU
25th March 1972, Division 3, beautiful sunny spring day, featured on Match of the Day, 28,000 fans, Willie Irvine's fantastic goal and I think the first time the Albion wore blue shorts.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I think HWT managed to get to that game on time after nearly getting caught scrumping apples from Mrs Brown's orchard in Portslade: :lol:

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I was there! Bloody hell, 50 years ago. I put Willie Irvine's goal up on Youtube ages ago, I wonder if it's still there?

It was on MoTD, and I think Irvine's goal won Goal of the Month. Becuase it was on MoTD the groundsman, former player Frankie Howard, painted the bare patches of the pitch green so it would look good on colour TV!

EDIT: Goal's still there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7yrZUds3_A

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
My first game. 50 years supporting the Albion. Remember marching down OSR and being a part of the 'crowd'. One of only a handfull of games I stood in the north stand.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
I should think a fair few of us were there - the yoof of today can’t imagine what it was like. I too was squashed into the North trying to glimpse a view. My nearest station was Hassocks and we used to play 3 card-brag on the train beforehand. Do kids still play cards today(other than poker online?). Anyway, great goal, great day!

babyshambles

Jul 21, 2004
Brighton
I should think a fair few of us were there - the yoof of today can’t imagine what it was like. I too was squashed into the North trying to glimpse a view. My nearest station was Hassocks and we used to play 3 card-brag on the train beforehand. Do kids still play cards today(other than poker online?). Anyway, great goal, great day!

Yeah some kids still play cards, my son and I have played cards on most away days this season. Lots of new games and versions of old games are popular now.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
25th March 1972, Division 3, beautiful sunny spring day, featured on Match of the Day, 28,000 fans, Willie Irvine's fantastic goal and I think the first time the Albion wore blue shorts.

After a bit of research, it seems this was my first ever game. I was only 6 and remember going to this one and the Rochdale game that season, plus the Geoff Sidebottom testimonial a few weeks later.

I went with my Dad and Grandfather, who unfortunately was a staunch Villa supporter. 50 years ago, wow.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Fifty years ago and what a day! That goal and the moves leading up to it are still fresh in my mind. Probably, for whatever reason, my stand-out Albion memory of all time.

Seems I might not be the only one!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Fifty years ago and what a day! That goal and the moves leading up to it are still fresh in my mind. Probably, for whatever reason, my stand-out Albion memory of all time.

Seems I might not be the only one!
Yeah, I tell you what, that game is one of a handful of Albion games that I can still vividly remember. Even a lot of the Amex ones have blurred into one.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Yes, I was there on the East Terrace.

I would suggest that were a bit more direct in those days. Well football was. Doubt if the standing hordes would tolerate what we see today, well what we see most of the time. With pay on the gate there is perhaps a bit more motivation towards entertainment.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Kit Napier got the winner...we had a collection of forwards back then albeit in D3. Six days later on Good Friday three late goals to beat Torquay. April 1 down to Bournemouth and a late equaliser from Bertie Lutton.

Happy happy days:smile:

Oh yes! I remember that one too - I was in the South - weren’t the goals in that end too? Re strikers didn’t we also have Barry Bridges in that era?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I was there, East stand not my usual perch in the Chicken run.

I can’t for the life of me remember why.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was there! Bloody hell, 50 years ago. I put Willie Irvine's goal up on Youtube ages ago, I wonder if it's still there?

It was on MoTD, and I think Irvine's goal won Goal of the Month. Becuase it was on MoTD the groundsman, former player Frankie Howard, painted the bare patches of the pitch green so it would look good on colour TV!

EDIT: Goal's still there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7yrZUds3_A

4 years before I first went to a game.

But I fkn loved that clip, the roar of the crowd, goosebumps.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I took my son to (coincidentally) Villa away this season and took a pack of cards. Were mostly playing Blackjack for small change.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here