Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£50 to cancel your season ticket !!

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
He's not a Senior Manager, he's the Chief Executive. Surely the Chief Executive in companies you've worked for that turn over £5bn a year must have earnt more than £400k pa?

Totally this.

The CEO in my company gets about 1.6 million a year (when quarterly bonuses are included) the senior management get approx 55k a year. Directors are on a couple hundred thousand I think

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Well I hope this helps, I just cancelled mine and my sons as we are about to emigrate, I explained why I was cancelling and that i'd been a lifelong supporter and that I was going to miss my regular trips to see the Albion. I had cancelled my direct debit just before payment 3 this month and was told to put it in an email to the club, I was warned this may result in a charge. But when I got a reply from the club 2 days later they said they were sorry they were losing us and good luck with the move etc, quite a good personal email I thought and then low and behold 3 days later in the post I actually got a refund of part of my first two payments, on this occasion I think the club have acted superbly :clap2:

My god i'm going to miss The Albion but hopefully still follow them from afar thanks to how things have moved on in the world

Always good to hear good news re the club...and all the best with the move!

Miffy

Jun 18, 2013
Not justifying the charge under such circumstances but do people realise that once a season ticket has been sold the club can't resell it in the same season if somebody gives it up but continues to count towards the maximum percentage of season tickets allowed in the ground? At least that was the case in the 2012/13 season.

I can understand the club wanting to take steps to dissuade people from giving up their seat too easily if they've simply changed their mind as there is a significant potential income loss for them.

If he's in the situation that the charge would cause him significant hardship, and he'd be able to prove his circumstances quite easily, then he should contact somebody higher up the chain to ask if they would exercise their discretion to remove it. No point in moaning at "the club" as a whole as those at lower levels will not have the authority to make such decisions whether they want to or not.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Well I hope this helps, I just cancelled mine and my sons as we are about to emigrate, I explained why I was cancelling and that i'd been a lifelong supporter and that I was going to miss my regular trips to see the Albion. I had cancelled my direct debit just before payment 3 this month and was told to put it in an email to the club, I was warned this may result in a charge. But when I got a reply from the club 2 days later they said they were sorry they were losing us and good luck with the move etc, quite a good personal email I thought and then low and behold 3 days later in the post I actually got a refund of part of my first two payments, on this occasion I think the club have acted superbly :clap2:

My god i'm going to miss The Albion but hopefully still follow them from afar thanks to how things have moved on in the world

I think this proves that there is no point in moaning about in on NSC but to use that time to write an email (or help a mate write their email) explaining the situation to the club.

Barber is an extremely clever guy. He is aware that he is definitely losing the money from the season ticket. However if the £50 charge dissolutions a supporter then they won't come back, however, if he lets them off the charge (which is in their season ticket contract) they are more likely to attend the odd game when they can afford it and potentially get a season ticket when times are good. If the supporter only attends two home games this season that they wouldn't have if they cancelled the DD and got banned or were too annoyed about the £50 charge then at £30 a ticket the club are already better off.

(Edit: and good luck with the move by the way!)

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
He's not a Senior Manager, he's the Chief Executive. Surely the Chief Executive in companies you've worked for that turn over £5bn a year must have earnt more than £400k pa?

Fair point - company I've recently worked for, turnover = £45m and profit £5m. CEO paid £250k a year when the company was making a PROFIT. Unlike the Albion. So I still say it's an obscene salary and has everything to do with the stupid money in football - it's not a real business.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Beware that if you just cancel it with the bank you'll be banned from the Amex for a season (no joke).

Too right - of course you should be - don't rip the club off!!

(I'm not referring to the guy in this example who's sadly lost his job btw - and I know there are exceptional circumstances (I'd still approach the club direct & be HONEST personally FWIW). But those who just don't wish to pay anymore as they aren't making games (I've known a few) and decide to just cancel the DD should if course be banned! It's people like them who could tho the DD scheme for all of us!

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
He's paid over £400k - I've worked in companies that turnover £5bn a year and their senior managers don't earn that. FFS, the PM doesn't and he runs UK Ltd. Yes, it is obscene.

Which companies have you worked for where the turnover is £5billion and the CEO doesn't earn, inclusive of bonuses, £400k!

As for this situation, a lot of people jumping up and down at the first opportunity of slating the club they purport to support! Has the redundant guy actually been in touch with the club and explained the situation and sort clarification as to whether the payments made will be refunded less the £50 cancellation fee and also whether he has asked if they will give favourable consideration to waive the fee in view of his circumstances? Alternatively, he can complain to a mate who will post on here for him!

Hopefully, he has also cancelled his Sky subscription, expensive mobile contract etc etc. if he had them!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Moaning on here is a bit like complaining about your hotel on tripadvisor when you get home without having done anything about it whilst you're there. Give the club a chance to deal with it, if they don't, then have a pop..........?

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
Nope, that isn't insensitive. Without wishing to divert the thread from the original theme around the club making immoral charges, the problem is the sheer weight of numbers applying for each available role. Each role I go for gets around 30-40 applicants. I tailor my CV and covering letter each time. I feel sorry for those people that are going for the jobs with a 100+ applicants.

Unless you're out there then you really don't know how difficult it is at the moment. I've never known it so bad in 25+ years of working.

Hang in there, Westdene!

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Thought this was a well known thing. I enquired about it last pre-season and was told i'd get the whol amount i'd paid up to then refunded less £50, the rider being it was refunded to my smart card so I would spend it later at the club. That pissed me off. But it was in the small print. However it is still what I would call a c#nt's trick. And another reason why the setup is pissing me off. I'm loathe to let my ST go because I know they know they will just get someone else.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
All this was covered on here last season. Fact is, people don't care about the issues until it affects them or their mates.

At least this guy didn't pay for an entire season before losing his job.

Feb 28, 2006
Eastleigh

Oh by the way of a follow up to my post earlier, my refund was in the form of a cheque from the club, so the money is now back in my bank, not on a season ticket card:thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
if you have genuinely applied for over 300 jobs, and have not been successful in any of them, then you must be doing something wrong.

Or maybe the Romanians have under cut his job because they can live 50 in a house and this is why he votes UKIP?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
With all due respect, it isn't that easy. Firstly, how do you know he wasn't only on a months notice ? Hence he'll get at best a months pay and, if he's worked for more than two years for his employer, around £400 for each year he has worked.

I was made redundant at the end of Feb, so far I've applied for over 300 jobs - I'm an IT professional so most people expected I would be re-employed fairly quickly. Guess what ? My redundancy money ( 3 months in my case as I was fairly senior ) has now run out. So a flippant post of "but since when does being made redundant mean that he couldn't just go out and find another job" suggests that you really don't live in the real world. I'm now about to default on my mortgage - I guess I could just get another job seeing as you think it's so easy ?

The moment the person in question mentioned to the club that he was being made redundant and couldn't afford his season ticket they should have just refunded his pre-payments and waived the 'fee'. Especially when you take into account the obscene salaries paid to the players and Barber.

And what was to stop you getting another job in another industry until you could find another one in the IT profession? There is work out there if your prepared to do it but too many are unprepared to take anything to make ends meet. Plenty of cleaners jobs, nursing homes jobs etc out there if people are prepared to do the work but there is a lot of job snobbery and an unwillingness to take anything that they deem beneath them. If the choice was no food, no shelter or to take one of these types of jobs, most would take one of them.

The real world? - people to lazy to help themselves and want to rely on others and the state?

Mannie

Jun 4, 2014
Brighton
If that's true then it's even worse behaviour by the club. I'm all for making the club break even but screwing people made redundant ? I've said it before and been slammed for it but there is something rotten at the heart of the "commercial" club now.

Completely agree - S/T holders are the main source of club income - we are loyal to the club - the club should be fair to us. You have enough to worry about when you loose your job and £50 on top of the lost £80 already taken by DD can be a huge hit in the circumstances

mackieaj

Alex Mackie
Jan 4, 2011
Him being made redundant makes zero difference to the club and it shouldn't either. Yes, they're a football club and the fans essentially drive the business but having every fan saying their nan died or they've just been posted to the moon isn't the clubs fault. He should either honour his agreement with the club (which would have notified him about the £50 cancellation charge beforehand) or cancel through his bank and see what comes of it.

Last edited:

SAC

May 21, 2014
Him being made redundant makes zero difference to the club and it shouldn't either. Yes, they're a football club and the fans essentially drive the business but having every fan saying their nan died or they've just been posted to the moon isn't the clubs fault. He should either honour his agreement with the club (which would have notified him about the £50 cancellation charge beforehand) or cancel through his bank and see what comes of it.

Of course it matters, if a club (or company) keeps it's fans (or customers) happy then they will hopefully come back again when they can. Piss them off they will quite possibly not return. Fine it the ground is selling out every week, not so good if there comes a time when it doesn't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here