Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] 4th Test v India

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
To keep the right balance it's probably got to be two from Stokes, Woakes and Curran.............although I wonder, given the way he's applied himself batting, Stokes could even move up to 5/6 with Moeen at 3 which would allow us to accommodate all three. Not going to any weaker at the top than we've been recently anyway. Something like :

Cook
Burns
Moeen
Root
Bairstow
Stokes
Buttler
Curran
Woakes
Broad
Anderson

Moeen doesn't perform well at 3 for England. He hasn't got the technique verses quality new ball bowling. He may bat there for his county, but the quality of bowling isn't the same. If England go down the Stokes, Woakes & Current road, it has to be Root at 3 or trying Stokes. Stokes has been coming to the crease early which a number 3 would, and he's batted with a lot of patience this series. He is a match winner down the order, but if 3 allrounders play and Root is being stubborn to move to 4, it's worth a try in a dead-rubber test.

Whatever side is picked, I would like to think England have the 2019 Ashes in mind. I wouldn't like to see Ian Bell recalled for example unless England think he can play next year too (I hope not...). Likewise, I wouldn't like to see Hildreth given a go unless England see him as an ashes option. Away series vs Sir Lanka and West Indies and a one-off test vs Ireland is all there's left before the Ashes. Preparation should start now.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Hard see even a fit Woakes forcing his way into the team. File this under 'Problems: Good'!

True - although comparing our allrounders

Bowling

Woakes 2 matches, 8 wickets @ 43
Curran 3 matches 8 wickets @ 43
Stokes 3 matches 11 wickets @ 26.5
Moeen 1 match 9 wickets @ 14.8

Batting

Woakes 3 innings, 149 runs @ 74.5 Average
Curran 5 innings, 251 runs @ 50.2
Stokes 6 innings, 152 runs @ 25.33
Moeen 2 innings, 49 runs @24.5

They all have done pretty well.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
True - although comparing our allrounders

Bowling

Woakes 2 matches, 8 wickets @ 43
Curran 3 matches 8 wickets @ 43
Stokes 3 matches 11 wickets @ 26.5
Moeen 1 match 9 wickets @ 14.8

Batting

Woakes 3 innings, 149 runs @ 74.5 Average
Curran 5 innings, 251 runs @ 50.2
Stokes 6 innings, 152 runs @ 25.33
Moeen 2 innings, 49 runs @24.5

They all have done pretty well.

I wouldn't be put off playing all 4 of them together. Stokes is better than most other batsmen we have tried in the middle order, and Curran and Woakes bowling figures are both strong enough to keep them in with Broad and Anderson. I'd be thinking about:

Jennings
Burns
Pope
Root
Bairstow wk
Stokes
Moeen
Woakes
Curran
Broad
Anderson

I don't think Buttler scores highly enough in test cricket to warrant leaving any of those allrounders out to be honest.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I wouldn't be put off playing all 4 of them together. Stokes is better than most other batsmen we have tried in the middle order, and Curran and Woakes bowling figures are both strong enough to keep them in with Broad and Anderson. I'd be thinking about:

Jennings
Burns
Pope
Root
Bairstow wk
Stokes
Moeen
Woakes
Curran
Broad
Anderson

I don't think Buttler scores highly enough in test cricket to warrant leaving any of those allrounders out to be honest.

Not sure if you are talking about longer term, or your suggested team for the Fifth Test?

There is literally NO CHANCE that the management would be as utterly ****ish as to deny Alistair Cook his deserved big send off.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Jennings
Burns
Pope
Root
Bairstow wk
Stokes
Moeen
Woakes
Curran
Broad
Anderson

Buttler this series

544 runs @68 - almost 300 runs more than an other Engand player.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Woakes actually has a very correct batting technique, and his huge stride protects him a little against late movement of a new ball.

#WoakesToOpen

:jester:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here