Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

4th Officials - What is their remit?

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
4th Officials - What is their remit?

It seems to me some get involved, some dont. Does anyone know what their "actual" remit is.

jackcgull

Feb 1, 2008
Amersham
nope - but what is the difference between a 4th stepping in and making a decision that the ref doesn't see and computer technology? linesman fair enough - but the 4th is there to get his ass kicked by managers and hold up the sub/injury time board. if it isn't - why don't we know about it?

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Was thinking the same last night, couldn't really find a clear answer. Surely IF the 4th official can get involved then why don't they more often..

Cpt. Spavil

Mar 9, 2008
FIFA World Cup - ESPN Soccernet

In a statement, FIFA said the incident had been 'directly observed' by the fourth official Luis Medina Cantalejo (Spain) from his position at the side of the pitch without the use of a monitor.

hmmm looks like they do spot what refs dont see

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
They do seem to spend a lot of the time conversing with the managers, assistants etc. Sometimes laughing and joking with them. Obviously their remit is not to solely watch what's happening on the pitch

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
To me there does not seem to be consistency in what they do, sometimes getting involved, sometimes not.

Yesterday, the 4th official clearly only acts when the Burnley bench get involved and encourage him!

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
To me there does not seem to be consistency in what they do, sometimes getting involved, sometimes not.

Yesterday, the 4th official clearly only acts when the Burnley bench get involved and encourage him!

This is the thing that is troubling me at the moment. It does seem the Burnley bench told him what happened, but it DID happen, so does it matter whether he saw it, or not? I guess it does, but is it fair on us, or is it not about fair?

I am a tormented soul!

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
This is the thing that is troubling me at the moment. It does seem the Burnley bench told him what happened, but it DID happen, so does it matter whether he saw it, or not? I guess it does, but is it fair on us, or is it not about fair?

I am a tormented soul!

Yes agreed it DID happen but equally the fourth official, if he saw the RV handbag being swung, must have seen the Burnley player also, or was he just going on what he was told?

He assists the referee to control the match in accordance with the laws of the game. The referee, however, retains the authority to decide on all points connected with play.

Amongst other things aswell but his being the obvious point in question. Clearly he saw this incident but missed the retaliatory strike back by the Burnley #20.
And the throttling of Barnesy when he was down.
And the two stamps by the Burnley #6 when Ashley was arse down.

Amazing how he saw anything really..............

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Until recently they were in charge of the subs, and so on and were only allowed to assist the ref in cases of mistaken identity or incidents involving violent conduct.

It changed last season (I think, possibly the one before, or maybe eve this season) and he can no advise the referee about any incident.

This is wht the laws of the game have to say:
fourth official role.jpg
(click to enlarge)

Graham Poll mentioned in a recent column that assistant referees are supposed to only signal if they think the referees have missed something. How they tell the difference between a ref missing something and seeing something but deciding it doesn't even warrant a 'play on' signal, I don't know. I think that they are mic-ed up and can chat without having to go over and converse all the time makes it harder to tell when there is input and when here isn't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here