Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 4-4-2

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
How bold was that tactical line-up yesterday?

Seriously, the balls on Roberto. Caicedo out, what do we do, remove a player from midfield. Don't worry we might be slightly weaker there, stick another body up front. I'm sure this has been discussed on the match day thread, but lost a bit in the noise. I thought it was deserving of it's own discussion.

It was a genuine old school 4-4-2, two out and out wingers, 2 big centre forwards. But the way they did it, Ferguson and Welbeck so difficult to pick up, some of Welbeck's link up play and little flicks to get a break on were an absolute delight. Different day Ferguson has a brace to his name, not a brace on his ankle.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It worked but I thought we looked a bit overrun in midfield at times, especially in the first half. We might have struggled/lost against a better team.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It's worth adding that March and Mitoma spent much of their time (especially when we had the ball) ahead of Welbeck and Ferguson -- so I don't think it was that detrimental in terms of the middle of the park

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's worth adding that March and Mitoma spent much of their time (especially when we had the ball) ahead of Welbeck and Ferguson -- so I don't think it was that detrimental in terms of the middle of the park
It certainly wasn't 2 up front simply occupying the 2 CBs. There was a lot of subtle movement and positioning at play. Thought it worked well. As @Herr Tubthumper points out, we did seem to lose control in midfield a bit that led Liverpool having some very good chances on the break, although part of that was us pushing such a high line and our CBs trying to win the first ball each time such as Dunk getting a foot in for their first, but being caught out with the handball ball over the top.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Pleased manager willing to try something different but didn't feel it worked. So many times were over run in midfield and a bit surprised he didn.t bring Gilmore on earlier,

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
I thought it worked well first half but second half we were on the back foot and improved when Gilmour on. Unfortunately I would imagine Ferguson is a huge doubt for Saturday so we may be forced back to three in midfield.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
According to RDZ in a pre match interview, nothing to do with tactics just all about getting the best available 11 on the pitch.
Could have of course been mind games

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
According to RDZ in a pre match interview, nothing to do with tactics just all about getting the best available 11 on the pitch.
Could have of course been mind games
There was a post match interview where he said he’d been planning it since Monday and he had been going to play Caicedo & Mac Allister in midfield and Gross at RB. I reckon he’s on the wind up somewhere lol

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here