Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] 3rd Test: South Africa v England at Johannesburg

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
For anyone that's interested, a comparison of Stokes, Flintoff and Botham at 22 matches:

Stokes: 1,340 runs @ 34.35, 50 wickets @ 40.48, 14 catches
Flintoff: 683 runs @ 20.08, 33 wickets @ 50.57, 14 catches
Botham: 1,068 runs @ 36.82, 118 wickets @ 19.27, 33 catches.

Will take a heck of an allrounder to match Sir Beef in both batting and bowling - his bowling was up there with best we've had (fielding worth a mention as well - fantastic slip). Stokes is doing brilliantly though, glad stats show him ahead of Flintoff as I think he's a better cricketer at this stage

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
VERY impressive stats for Stokes.
Heck of a bowler, Botham. That's a LOT of wickets.

Flintoff doesn't really stand up in comparison. Always was hugely over-rated. though in his defence he did have a special something, that made him that BIT more useful than his raw stats suggest. A knack of getting that REALLY important wicket, etc.

What the stats show are that Flintoff was a slow starter but once he got there after 20-odd test he was world class thereafter.

Botham's all-rounder stats for those first 22 matches in the 1970s are unbelievable, but injuries / excess reduced his effective in the 80s and 90s - Flintoff performed better in his final 50 tests than Botham.

You have to expect that Stokes will improve as a bowler and once Anderson retires he'll be asked to do more and, no doubt, pick up injuries along the way. It's therefore important that Bairstow and Ali continue to deliver so that Stokes gets rest after he bats. We have a potentially great player here - he could eclipse Botham's records if he stays fit.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
What the stats show are that Flintoff was a slow starter but once he got there after 20-odd test he was world class thereafter.

Botham's all-rounder stats for those first 22 matches in the 1970s are unbelievable, but injuries / excess reduced his effective in the 80s and 90s - Flintoff performed better in his final 50 tests than Botham.

You have to expect that Stokes will improve as a bowler and once Anderson retires he'll be asked to do more and, no doubt, pick up injuries along the way. It's therefore important that Bairstow and Ali continue to deliver so that Stokes gets rest after he bats. We have a potentially great player here - he could eclipse Botham's records if he stays fit.

Due to the balance he brings to the side batting at 6, I suspect he will always be picked as a 4th seamer, as him playing, allows England to pick 4 other bowlers.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Due to the balance he brings to the side batting at 6, I suspect he will always be picked as a 4th seamer, as him playing, allows England to pick 4 other bowlers.

Jimmy will be 34 this year. I could see that he might wish to bow out after the next Ashes which ends in 2 years time. That means his replacement needs to be putting up there hand in county cricket now, but I can't see we've got a lot of candidates. Broad will be pushing 32 at that point too, whereas Stokes will be in his pomp. I can't see that he'll be 4th choice seamer for long unless we unearth another quality bowler soon.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I love Joe Root. Considering the situation this might well turn out to be his best knock so far. As Nas just said, he's dispelled the idea that the pitch is full of demons. It's not, but only if your batting is technically brilliant. What a player.

Great watching him and Stokes change the game together. Both only 24? The future looks bright.

Oh and both are sound lads. Root is from my son's club and is completely down to earth and always has time to chat and encourage the next generation. Stokes took time out to talk to the nipper and sign his bat when we were at the India ODI at Headingly.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Move over Calde, Joe Root is No. 1 in the manlove stakes.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I love Joe Root. Considering the situation this might well turn out to be his best knock so far. As Nas just said, he's dispelled the idea that the pitch is full of demons. It's not, but only if your batting is technically brilliant. What a player.

Great watching him and Stokes change the game together. Both only 24? The future looks bright.

Oh and both are sound lads. Root is from my son's club and is completely down to earth and always has time to chat and encourage the next generation. Stokes took time out to talk to the nipper and sign his bat when we were at the India ODI at Headingly.

I never normally like watching England bat and much prefer watching us bowl. Those two however are rapidly changing my mind. With Root in this sort of imperious form, and Stokes smashing all and sundry round the ground, I could happily sit and watch them bat all day.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Good stat from cricinfo. "England have never lost a test when Joe Root has scored a century".

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
No more play today.

Stumps Day 2

South Africa 313
England 238/5 (52.4 ov)
England trail by 75

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Jimmy will be 34 this year. I could see that he might wish to bow out after the next Ashes which ends in 2 years time. That means his replacement needs to be putting up there hand in county cricket now, but I can't see we've got a lot of candidates. Broad will be pushing 32 at that point too, whereas Stokes will be in his pomp. I can't see that he'll be 4th choice seamer for long unless we unearth another quality bowler soon.

His bowling is a work in progress, but I suspect he is a batting all rounder, rather than the other way round and so will always be a fourth seamer.

Wood is due to come back, Footitt will get a chance and as a left armer, he will offer some variation. Also if Overton can keep his opinions to himself, he will probably play for England at some stage.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Root gone for cheap this morning. Tide turns again in the Saffers favour...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here