£350m spend on A27 upgrade

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I don't know how true this is but I heard the reason why that was never finished as because the proposed route is visible from Arundel Castle. And those in situ or English Heritage (can't remember who run it) felt that it would distort the 'experience' of visiting the castle?
Arundel Castle is still privately owned (Duke of Norfolk).

Stainsey

Mar 25, 2009
I remember on family holidays heading down to Dorset in the 60's, signs everywhere for a Folkestone to Honiton trunk road. Bits were eventually done like Lewes and Brighton by passes, but the concept was just lost over the years. If that road had ever been completed, think how much traffic would be diverted from the M25 as coming in from the main channel ports, there is no real alternative to get to Brighton, Southampton and the West Country, than heading up the M2 or M20 to the M25, then going round it until you reach the M23 or M3. The North goes on about its lack of infrastructure, but it is never mentioned that East Sussex has no motorways at all, and West Sussex about 6 miles. I am not saying concreting over the land is the only answer, but a decent landscaped dual carriageway all the way along the South Coast would not be too much to ask for.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
I came to the conclusion a while ago that it's far quicker to drive straight through the middle of Chichester than waste time crawling round the bypass. And going cross-country via Steyning and Storrington avoids both Worthing and Arundel.

Don't tell em all about the back route! We don't want a procession of transit vans coming down the A283. It's reserved for nutjob motorcyclists who think they're Barry Sheen.

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
Go to the following link

http://www.westsussex.gov.uk/living...ent_control_plans_and/major_projects/a27.aspx

Scroll down to 'Background Information:A27 Action Plan Study. A little fiurther down on this section see 'Supporting Documents' and then download the link titled 'A27 Route strategy and Action Plan Final report July 2013 (PDF 9MB)'

This is a 150 odd page detailed study from Atkins consulting engineers. From page 97 onwards it gives detailed drawings of the proposed improvements along the route which, in the Worthing section, consists of alterations to the existing roundabouts at Offington, Grove Lodge and the Lyons Way junction.

I believe these are the improvements that will be taking place.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I may be wrong but thought the funding was withdrawn as being too expensive.

Think the objection before was possibly supported by a much more active and influential Duke. Funding is in place and accordingly to my SOURCE this is 100% going ahead.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Just finished 29 months Sompting to Swanwick, tried across country a few times, no quicker imo.

Have you been installing an additional 13 Amp socket at Nats?

I had a conversation last month with a former local councillor who has had some contact with people from the Highways Agency who are involved in drawing up the proposals for the A27 in the Lewes area. He said that he was AMAZED to discover that the Highways Agency team were completely unaware that options for a proposed improvement scheme for the Lewes to Polegate section of the A27 had been published in the early 1990s.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That's what I thought, and I'd heard it was the Duchess of Norfolk putting a stop to it because the road will be seen from the castle.

But the new road would take 98% of the traffic FURTHER AWAY from the castle! Makes no sense.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Ridiculous idea, 350m would never be enough to provide that many jetpacks.

Now, if you where to suggest a form of catapult (cartapult?) instead...

YES! What Sussex needs is a series of Trebuchets.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
two Liberal seats covered on the A27 east of Lewes. interesting to see how the government partners claim ownership.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I came to the conclusion a while ago that it's far quicker to drive straight through the middle of Chichester than waste time crawling round the bypass. And going cross-country via Steyning and Storrington avoids both Worthing and Arundel.

100% this.

If you get through the queues at the Witterings roundabout, you then get rinsed on the stretch between the Bognor roundabout and Portfield.

There are so many potential delays on the Southampton/Brighton road, ANY improvements will make a difference

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
100% this.

If you get through the queues at the Witterings roundabout, you then get rinsed on the stretch between the Bognor roundabout and Portfield.

There are so many potential delays on the Southampton/Brighton road, ANY improvements will make a difference

The road just outside arundel where you turn off to littlehampton, is getting worse for queues. I agree though. We go through steyning, straight over the a24 roundabout and up that way. Over the back of sussex. A27 is a mare until you get past Chichester

OurPrice

Nov 22, 2012
Think the objection before was possibly supported by a much more active and influential Duke. Funding is in place and accordingly to my SOURCE this is 100% going ahead.

I remember hearing that it is also much to do with the loss of 'Ancient Woodland', and also I think Arun Council have a planning policy about preserving the vistas around Arundel, this says "Development will not be permitted within the town of Arundel or beyond which would adversely affect the rural views outwards from the town and in particular from the following locations... Development will not be permitted which would adversely affect the long distance views of Arundel Castle or Arundel Cathedral." The reason for this is to "protect the setting of historic Arundel, which is of national and local importance". However, one would hope that the clear national and regional economic benefits would outweigh the harm in this respect (much like the arguments that related to Falmer - i.e. benefits to community/economy vs harm to countryside). It is all about a planning balance, but to my mind it is a no brainer. The bypass is needed now.

Worthing on the other hand is just a nightmare (not just the place!). Bypass is surely not an option, a tunnel is laughable, and they already tried widening following CPO's, but then gave up on this!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports