Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] 35 Years Ago Today- THAT Match In The Frozen Fens

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Just found mine!

Pics hopefully to follow courtesy of [MENTION=1272]bhafc99[/MENTION].

Here you go – Hart's Shirt's red scarf from that very day 35 years ago…

6395c204-cbd9-44d7-b397-c3c56392f660.JPG
e1438fe5-da9e-459a-8b1d-9b539caa83e4.JPG

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Strange , I was there and remember the Cherry Tree Pub but not the game itself .

Funny you mention that, I went to a game at Peterborough, via a record shop, and the Cherry tree, got home alive, no records and don't remember anything after about 3:15. :eek:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I was talking about this yesterday on Twitter. Without doubt the scariest experience I've had on a terrace. I was genuinely struggling to breath when Jacobs equalised the second time I was that crushed. There is absolutely no way they should have put 6,000 in that terrace behind the goal. Genuinely dangerous.

There and QPR once at a ManU game are the most crushed and dangerous I can ever recall. Was an amazing atmosphere though. Ridiculously low roof, think Griffin Park with a few more steps and 6,000 of us pissed up and roaring on the team. I feel sorry for young 'uns today who'll never know what the FA cup really meant.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Oooh, a rare outing for the leather studs that always needed replacing at half-time.
Nowadays, with all the modern under-soil heating or games being called off with the slightest sign of a bit of frost, leather studs are now consigned to history.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Have had better days out at boro 1977ish, bosun came straight through the turnstiles and across the pitch, fires on the terrace and about 6 people on the bosun coach after the game. The season before had the coach window put in after the fixture so maybe it was payback game.

Are you PPF in disguise ?

Aug 8, 2012
Wonderful memories!!
I took a mate from Uni and got the train from Brum, it had the old Harry Potter style compartments with sliding doors. About halfway there the doors slid open and in stormed 6 or 7 Millwall. We completely froze and my self defence was to talk Millwall. It did the trick and my mate was amazed I even knew whi Derek Possee was. They told us that the Millwall game was off and all the fans were coming to our game. It was the longest 20 mins of my life. On arriving at Peterborough we let them go first and saw them in the distance enter a pub. Just as we got there glasses were breaking and a bar stool came through the front window.
Remember Danny Wilson being superb for us. Things deteriorated though by the Saints game when Mick Fergusson got booed in the warm up

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Going to that game changed my life. Got banged up in Cambridge on the way back and when I finally got home on Sunday my girlfriend had packed her bags saying “you love Brighton more than me “

Three weeks later took a gorgeous girl out on practically a blind date............ nearly 35 years together now. ( and she supported The Albion)

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Crickey, 35 years ago. Remember it well. Their second goal was just ridiculous in the way it deflected off the snow and then Steve Jacob's equaliser. Didn't we win the replay 1-0, with a Gary O Reilly goal. Then lost the sixth round game home to Southampton.

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
Has a 15 year old it was the scariest i have ever been on a terrace but also loved it.

My second scariest ( loved it ) was the game against Southampton in the following round.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Funny you mention that, I went to a game at Peterborough, via a record shop, and the Cherry tree, got home alive, no records and don't remember anything after about 3:15. :eek:

It says on my tatty bit of papers with my list of away games that I went to Peterborough. I have no recollection of the journey, the pubs, or the game at all. There is usually something I can recall - but not that one!

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
In my post West Brom depression, I cannot help saying that there’s a good chance that we will be back playing at London Road next season since ‘Borough are points clear at the top of Div I.
We may also enjoy trips To Lincoln City, and perhaps a derby with Pompey....
Happy times ahead :blush:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
In my post West Brom depression, I cannot help saying that there’s a good chance that we will be back playing at London Road next season since ‘Borough are points clear at the top of Div I.

Exactly how I am looking at it. Late afternoon yesterday my wife and I checked out which Championship aways we can go to next season:) Made us feel much better.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

See, not as bad as the moaning minnies would have us beleive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here