Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£300k a week for next 5.5 years. Would you lose interest if.....................

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't think I've ever seen in football events conspire in one person's favour like they have with Rooney. It is the perfect deal at the perfect time.

Utd are desperate, they are panicking, they have an ageing team with established stars like Vidic definitely moving on, and others like Evra and Ferdinand reaching the end of the line with the club. They cannot afford to have Rooney leave, particularly as it would be odds-on he'd sign for a Prem rival like Chelsea. Utd can't even muddle through the rest of this season with the issue unresolved because it's all going tits up now; in a normal situation they'd have their pick of the Brazil World Cup starlets, so have to keen Rooney to demonstrate they still have some punch.

I think Messi and Ronaldo are worth £300K per week over 5 1/2 years. Rooney is not

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
The 300K a week has nothing to do with whether or not Rooney nor any other person is worth that sort of money - it is simply Man U protecting its investment in a player - it is the club that is treating him as a commodity.

Rooney had 18 months left on his contract, his capital value was dropping every day he didn't sign a new contract. If they wanted to sell him in the summer with just 12 months left on his contract they would be lucky to get £15M - now, with 5 years on his contract it will take 5 or 6 times that amount to get the club to sell.

They'll struggle to offload him even if they want to now. Nobody will offer him the same wages - the classic 'stumbling block' - even if United at some point decide they want to cash in on him.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
He deleted it from the app store because he said it was ruining his life so he is earning nothing from it now, and even when he was he was earning £30,000 a day through advertising, he wasn't paid by an employer.. Not really comparable.

He is still earning money from it.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Trouble is he hasn't signed yet because they haven't included any incentives. 'Incentives', on top of £300k a week. That makes the man a first class t055er, in my opinion.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
But that's another issue. Football is clearly not too expensive otherwise people wouldn't pay for it. No-one is forced to go to football matches or pay for it (unless you live in Haringey and your council hands Spurs money).

Really? I think you'll find quite a few fans up and down the country can't afford to attend football as often as they would like, perhaps your financial situation is more stable but a lot of people struggle to justify £500 per year costs. You're right though, nobody is forced to go but I suspect more and more fans will become disillusioned if ticket prices continue to soar along with players wages.

D

Deleted member 22389

Really? I think you'll find quite a few fans up and down the country can't afford to attend football as often as they would like, perhaps your financial situation is more stable but a lot of people struggle to justify £500 per year costs. You're right though, nobody is forced to go but I suspect more and more fans will become disillusioned if ticket prices continue to soar along with players wages.

Football wouldn't continue without us supporters. When you think about our situation, what is it 21k season ticket holders? and it is still not enough to cover players wages and transfers. Shows us all what is wrong with the football at the moment. If players wages, transfer fees where not so high this club would be in profit. If companies ran their business like football club there would be thousands of companies going in to liquidation every week.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Yes Rooney earns loads of money and yes he's heavily over rated too. But to be honest though, I couldn't care what he earns. It's nothing in comparison to what people are earning exploiting poverty and starting wars. Rooneys wages make people talk about his income as if he's ruining the economy, why aren't we talking about how 10% of the world has more money than the rest of the 90% put together? You'll see how Rooneys wages are peanuts compared to the real greedy people of this world.
If anyone would walk away from watching brighton because of a players wage being to high then they should consider what they think when they top up their phone and buy some cloths. Who's your money going to there?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

I agree it's expensive( I'm giving up my season ticket as I can't afford it) but the fact is that enough people are willing to pay to go to football to keep the prices high. That's capitalism.

I just find it odd that the only time seem pissed off with capitalism is when footballer's get given big contracts.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The 300K a week has nothing to do with whether or not Rooney nor any other person is worth that sort of money - it is simply Man U protecting its investment in a player - it is the club that is treating him as a commodity.

Rooney had 18 months left on his contract, his capital value was dropping every day he didn't sign a new contract. If they wanted to sell him in the summer with just 12 months left on his contract they would be lucky to get £15M - now, with 5 years on his contract it will take 5 or 6 times that amount to get the club to sell.

However, they currently have a player allegedly at the peak of his career but won't be for much longer, I could understand 300K a week for a 2-3 year contract but 5 years at that rate is very generous.If the slide to mid-table mediocrity continues and the Euro Millions dry up ( as looks likely next season) I can see some fans wondering why they are paying a chubby scouser over a million a month to run around a lot and swear at everyone.
Juan Mata may be asking questions of his agent now as I bet he's not on that sort of wad.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Lets just hope Man Utd don't make the top 4 over the next couple of years. They would be crippled by wages like that without Champions League money, but not so crippled that they'd go out of business. Ideal.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Rather O/T, but I was reading the other day that they've actually paid off some of the clubs debt, something like 300m out of the 800m original debt.

They spent something like £70m last season re-financing the debt. It is insane how a massive money making club can be needlessly loaded with debt like that

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
They spent something like £70m last season re-financing the debt. It is insane how a massive money making club can be needlessly loaded with debt like that

True, but if they're paying down the debt, however slowly, they'll be paying less to service the debt they have remaining.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
What's odd is that if none of this greed existed, kids like Rooney would still be happy to charge round a football pitch week in week out for £300k a year, not a week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here