Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 3 Albion games you most regret missing?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Sorry withdrawing Hereford. I struggle enough at Amex when we are trying to hold on so would never have lasted through that.

I thought I heard that we have not lost a game we took the lead in this season. Have I just tempted fate :ohmy:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Too many for just three!

York and Walsall home games 1976 - the 7-2 and 7-0. Pretty sure I went to every other home game in the 76-77 season, but unbelievably missed those two!

Newcastle away, promotion game, 1979. I was quite young at the time, but should have got my act together. Wish I'd been on that epic Seagulls Special train journey back as well. Instead, I listened to it on the radio. When they pulled a goal back in the second half, I couldn't bear to listen to the final moments so had to leave the house and go for a walk! By the time I got back, we'd been promoted.

Liverpool away, FA Cup, 1983. Could easily have gone to this (went to the 3-1 defeat at Anfield in the league earlier in the season), but didn't bother with the hassle of getting a ticket because I just assumed we'd lose.

Brentford away, FA Cup, 1987? Just for missing THAT Garry Nelson goal. Used to always go to London away games, especially Brentford. Can't remember why I missed this - might have been my gran's birthday celebration!

Liverpool away, FA Cup, 1991 (the 2-2 draw). Actually had a ticket, but was unemployed and broke at the time and couldn't really afford the train fare, so sold it.

Man City at Withdean, League Cup, 2009? Forgot to buy a ticket and sold out. Could still have got one, but was off on holiday early the following day and for some reason this stopped me trying. Another in the 'assumed we'd lose' category.

QPR away, 2017. Same as Brentford above. Went to most London away games at the time, but for some reason didn't get a ticket and missed Pocognoli's moment of glory. The scenes behind that goal in the footage look absolutely mental :(

Lucky enough to have been to all those apart from Brentford. Probably the one game over the last 50 years where there were no cameras to record Nelson's goal so have had to rely on the narrative from those that were there.

Three games for me though would be the 1991 play off semi against Millwall as was on Family holiday although did go to the final.
2004 play-off final. My daughter had arrived in world and that was her first weekend home.
And our first win at Stamford Bridge later today due to isolation period!!!

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
The obe iconic or pivotal game that I missed in person was Hereford,.... I managed to get to Hereford, but no ticket meant I listened to it on the radio in a pub about 2 miles from the ground, as recommended by a local copper.... kept a low profile and headed back to Somerset with a smile on my face.

I did see ( amongst many others)
Newcastle away promotion. 79
Liv away cup win 83
Highbury Semi 83
Both Finals 83
Wembley play off v Notts C
Plymouth away promotion 2001, 1st step on our journey back.
Cardiff play off v Bris C
Peterborough we're effin brilliant game.
Doncaster 1st Amex game
Wigan promotion game

I never went to Gillingham out of choice.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Hereford away - had a ticket, sold it on and used the time to queue to get tickets for the Essential Festival in Stanmer park instead. Bloody women.

Peterborough away in 01/02 - was playing football at Uni instead but immediate downer when I spoke to my dad after the atmosphere sounded electric

Plymouth away the season before when we secured promotion as was on a Uni field trip

Might not sound like big games to most but as it represented my first taste of real success as a fan (my first season was the 87/88 promotion but I didn’t really take it in being 7) and I kick myself for not being there for those.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Forest away - Ulloa

Man City - First ever premier league game. I was away on a stag do which included 6 Albion season ticket holders.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
None at all, I have this maybe strange idea that the games we won or needed results from might of been a totally different outcome had I of gone. I went on Sunday and felt all week we would beat Brentford had I have not gone who knows :shrug: The play off final against Notts County everything went wrong a few days before the game I wasn’t feeling it and really shouldn’t have gone and we all know what happened there.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
First game at Amex, stupid family wedding.

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
None I really regret not attending, not for more than five minutes anyway, possibly away to Charlton under Poyet which by all accounts, was almost as good a performance as Peterborough away, that I did attend soon after. Quite a few I wish I hadn't bothered, e.g. all but a couple of the home league games during Mickey Adams second term, but those games did lead to the Slade Great Escape matches, which were great.

One of the games I am particularly glad I went to was actually an away defeat, lost 5-4 to Sheffield Utd, but what a ride to get to that result. All home and away supporters applauding both teams at the end.

Let's Have A Winner!

Apr 23, 2006
Burgess Hill
From when I started going in 1984, and bearing in mind I played Saturday football through most of the 1990's and 2000's, I didn't miss too many big ones. My three though would be...

Newcastle 1988?? The Bryan Wade game. Only game I missed that season with a heavy cold, remember listening on the radio in bed and being gutted to miss it.

Hartlepool 1997 Fans United. Was playing football that day, but my dad went and was buzzing for days!

Mansfield 1999 first game at Withdean. Couldn't get a ticket!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The only one that really stands out to me is the 7-1 win at Chester City in February 2000. Living in Manchester at the time it was a local game, but as my previous three games had been Hull City away (2-0 defeat, Silky Dave Cameron subbed off after 19 minutes and branded useless); Mansfield away (1-0 defeat, Rod Thomas sent off after 5 minutes) and Rochdale away (1-0 defeat, one of an interminable number of defeats witnessed at that ground but at least we got to sing the Lorenzo Pinamonte song for an hour or so) - I decided I'd had enough for the time being and made the conscious decision not to go. We hadn't scored an away goal for six games, hadn't won any game since Darren Freeman infamously scored the first goal of the millennium, and I could do without it thank you very much.

So obviously we scored seven for the first time in 16 years and our biggest away win since whenever.... First hat-trick for Bobby, first Brighton goal for Brooker, and we didn't lose again all season..

Yep, regret missing that one.... :lolol:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
None really. Saw nearly all the biggies and iconic moments over past 40 years or so.

However, I do regret attending 00’s of games…

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Forest away - Ulloa

Man City - First ever premier league game. I was away on a stag do which included 6 Albion season ticket holders.

I would have killed him. If they ever break up, you all deserve refunds.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Fans United, FA cup semi against Man City, first game at Withdean 6-0, seen all other major games in my 58 years of supporting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goldstonegull

Feb 18, 2009
plymouth
You can include Covid shutdowns, but, more about games you could have gone to, but for various reasons you didn’t.

For me, the QPR game where with hindsight, we actually got the points for Promotion. Only game in the last 10 I missed. I simply couldn’t afford it, I had to prioritise and chose the final 3 away games.

FA Cup Semi final against Sheffield Wednesday, at sea.

Any game at Gillingham. I was working 6/7 days a week and I couldn’t justify spending what would amount to a whole day off going to watch football, with a young family.

I was at sea for the final, on HMS Dido. Made the Semi's though

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Fortunate to see all the big ones going back to 1978, home and away apart from one, the first at the Amex, urrrggggghhhhhhhhh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here