Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] £3.90 for 1 jumbo battered sausage !!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Quick question, I was informed last night that there is no such thing as a potato scallop in this country, and he wouldn't ask our local fish and chip shop if they had them. This seems a travesty. Its sliced potato, dunked in batter and fried, well tasty. Are they called something else here, or is there no such thing?
Yes there are potato scallops, sometimes known as "specials" (in northern England). They're my favourite.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Anyone here take pea wet on their chips?

Was introduced to it in Bolton.

The juice from mushy peas poured over your chips.

Sounds grim. Looks grim. Taste lush.

Ahh, Bolton. I miss it sometimes. Not very often.

Last edited:

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023
I'm not buying it out of principle.

(I agree, after 13 years on this forum I find the threads derailed by the same fish puns every 2-4 weeks tedious and boring. I guess it's what makes people happy though)
Agree. I posted and then thought that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
(I agree, after 13 years on this forum I find the threads derailed by the same fish puns every 2-4 weeks tedious and boring. I guess it's what makes people happy though)
Tough crowd. I put a lot of effort into my puns.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing

The fish pun crowd never pass up a good opportunity to MUSSEL in on a thread

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Very hard to find a good British run chippy these days down south.

All run by foreigners who like to charge through the roof.

Shame.

Worrying about the nationality of the owner seems a bit strange to me.

Chippies have always been a business popular with migrants. Growing up always knew Chinese and Cypriot chip shops.

Wolfies by Hove station seems to be British run and is probably the dearest in the surrounding area. *Edit* just checked and £3.95 for battered sausage.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Quick question, I was informed last night that there is no such thing as a potato scallop in this country, and he wouldn't ask our local fish and chip shop if they had them. This seems a travesty. Its sliced potato, dunked in batter and fried, well tasty. Are they called something else here, or is there no such thing?
I've only ever ordered them in a chip shop in Rhyl, but definitely seen them in other places.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Sounds like the sort of thing you might get up North but never seen it in the South East

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017

For hussks* skate. If the plaice for a fish puns isn't on a chip shop thread then where can it be? I suggest you stop carping on about it and I think you wish you haddock put the thread on ignore. You reely perhaps should stop acting like an old trout and gill out. ;)

*that doesn't work
I'm carp with fish puns. :unsure:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Quick question, I was informed last night that there is no such thing as a potato scallop in this country, and he wouldn't ask our local fish and chip shop if they had them. This seems a travesty. It’s sliced potato, dunked in batter and fried, well tasty. Are they called something else here, or is there no such thing?
You mean Potato Fritters ?
IMG_1313.png

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Worrying about the nationality of the owner seems a bit strange to me.

Chippies have always been a business popular with migrants. Growing up always knew Chinese and Cypriot chip shops.

Wolfies by Hove station seems to be British run and is probably the dearest in the surrounding area. *Edit* just checked and £3.95 for battered sausage.
You’re right.

I think I was trying to explain, very poorly, that you don’t get as many traditional fish and chip shops around. Or they’re in decline.
Most seem to be a hybrid of pizza / burger/ chippy/ kebab places.

I’m probably wrong. Some days, even I don’t agree with me.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
You’re right.

I think I was trying to explain, very poorly, that you don’t get as many traditional fish and chip shops around. Or they’re in decline.

Totally agree, and you don’t see many chippies with well stocked heated cabinets stocked with an assortment of fried fish, sausages, savaloys and fish cakes anymore , i remember you could be in and out of a chippie with x4 dinners in the time it would take them to wrap up

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Totally agree, and you don’t see many chippies with well stocked heated cabinets stocked with an assortment of fried fish, sausages, savaloys and fish cakes anymore , i remember you could be in and out of a chippie with x4 dinners in the time it would take them to wrap up
Yep seems most cook to order now which obviously saves them wastage but it takes 10 minutes to get your food

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
You’re right.

Never trust those hybrid places. They do fried chicken, pizza and kebabs? Means they won’t do any of them well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here