Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2nd TV Ariel socket?

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
I have just bought a TV to put in my bedroom, and am also getting Sky installed, but have no ariel socket in the bedroom.

It is best just to get a socket put in (been quoted 85 quid), or are there better/cheaper options available? Can I get splitter from the main arial?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Sky will do it for you, as it's satellite - or am i not getting the point here?

No, you're right, Sky will fit a socket for their service. However, not that it matters the TV will not be able to get analog signals without an external Ariel.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Go to Maplins and buy a splitter and some cable, they do splitters with signal amplifiers built in which is a bonus for installing sky. Think it was about £20 when I asked, when I was looking for a signal booster to get the missing freeview channels

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
Sky will do it for you, as it's satellite - or am i not getting the point here?

I want the sky intalled in the living room for the main TV, but will want to watch other channels in the bedroom.

I was thinking the Sky installer might do it if I bung him a few quid

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
The TV reception in Brighton is terrible, apparantly its not going to improve until the digital switchover in 2012

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I want the sky intalled in the living room for the main TV, but will want to watch other channels in the bedroom.

I was thinking the Sky installer might do it if I bung him a few quid

He may do - but he won't be going anywhere the main aerial if it's on the top of your house.

1) You can split the main aerial.

2) Alternatively you can ask for Sky Multi-room, in which you need an extra box and you pay extra for. In this case they will sort the cabling out.

3) Buy a video sender which will blast the analogue signal (and Sky round the house). About £100 they are a bit hit and miss.

4) This is what I would do.

Ask the installer for a quote on putting some extra LNBs (the arm in the middle of the dish) because you want the option of having FREESAT in your bedroom.

You'll need to buy a freesat box to use the signal in the bedroom.

Even if you don't use it initially, the ability to receive a seperate satelitte signal in the bedroom will be useful.

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
He may do - but he won't be going anywhere the main aerial if it's on the top of your house.

1) You can split the main aerial.

2) Alternatively you can ask for Sky Multi-room, in which you need an extra box and you pay extra for. In this case they will sort the cabling out.

3) Buy a video sender which will blast the analogue signal (and Sky round the house). About £100 they are a bit hit and miss.

4) This is what I would do.

Ask the installer for a quote on putting some extra LNBs (the arm in the middle of the dish) because you want the option of having FREESAT in your bedroom.

You'll need to buy a freesat box to use the signal in the bedroom.

Even if you don't use it initially, the ability to receive a seperate satelitte signal in the bedroom will be useful.

Can you watch seperate channels using a Video sender?

Also, I already have a Sky dish on the house (left from a previous owner) which I know is live. If I got another sky box, could I then get sky in both rooms if the installer cabled this to the 2nd room?

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Almost all Sky boxes come with 2 aerial out connections which, assuming you have a feed from your main aerial into the box will also send that signal out to the TV in your lounge and one other. To be fair if you have a decent TV in the lounge you'll probably use a Scart to attach the box so even if there is only one aerial out connection you won't need it for the lounge anyway!

All you want to do is run a cable from the box into the back of the TV in the bedroom.

You'll need one of these in the sky box:
fu04.jpg

One of these in the back of your telly:
fd85v2.jpg

And a length of Satalite Cable. It really is VERY EASY!

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Can you watch seperate channels using a Video sender?

Also, I already have a Sky dish on the house (left from a previous owner) which I know is live. If I got another sky box, could I then get sky in both rooms if the installer cabled this to the 2nd room?

That's basically what he said to do. Get another Sky box or Freeset box and connect it to the dish itself, assuming it has enough connections (mine has 8 so the installer can put one in if not)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Ask Dean White at the next home game, I understand he is an expert

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
Almost all Sky boxes come with 2 aerial out connections which, assuming you have a feed from your main aerial into the box will also send that signal out to the TV in your lounge and one other. To be fair if you have a decent TV in the lounge you'll probably use a Scart to attach the box so even if there is only one aerial out connection you won't need it for the lounge anyway!

All you want to do is run a cable from the box into the back of the TV in the bedroom.

And a length of Satalite Cable. It really is VERY EASY!

Cheers.

I guess unless I can get another box I can only watch the same Sky channels in each room at same time, but if I connect the Sky box to both I would be able to watch sky on one and freeview on the other?

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Cheers.

I guess unless I can get another box I can only watch the same Sky channels in each room at same time, but if I connect the Sky box to both I would be able to watch sky on one and freeview on the other?

If you connect one Sky box to 2 telly's you'll get Terrestrial TV on both as well as whatever is on the Sky box in both. I presume you would also be able to get a freeview signal off of that in your bedroom if your house can get a freeview signal but to get freeview channels otherwise you'd need another Sky Box with Free to Air card or a freesat box

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
If you connect one Sky box to 2 telly's you'll get Terrestrial TV on both as well as whatever is on the Sky box in both. I presume you would also be able to get a freeview signal off of that in your bedroom if your house can get a freeview signal but to get freeview channels otherwise you'd need another Sky Box with Free to Air card or a freesat box

Many Thanks

Both TV's have got freeveiw built in so looks like i'm sorted

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I got a local company to run a cable into each room and connect it all to the Sky dish. It cost around £60.

Huple

Unregistered
May 28, 2008
Standish Sanatarium
Its quite simple isn`t it ? If you dont have an older brother going home for the weekend, and you`ve done your latin homework then you dont have to move your clothes down to a lower peg, OK. Providing of course you`ve spoken to matron.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here